Can anyone eat a burger with bun? Half a burger?

Donna L.
on 8/3/16 10:47 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Of course you can dine out.  I've eaten vietnamese, chinese, Japanese, high-scale 10 courses, low-brow 5 Guys.  You can literally eat anywhere these days.  Twenty, or even ten years ago, I could see the trouble.  These days its very easy to eat out with restrictions.  I'm curious why you think that means you will look like you don't like the food.  I've had $90 meals where I eat 1/3 of it and bring it home.  No one ever has given me an issue even at some of the finest restaurants in Chicago.  You're the customer.  As long as you aren't being disruptive to other patrons, I guarantee no one really cares.  I used to be very self-conscious about this, actually, and it is an aspect of my eating disorder.

Over a year out I can eat half a burger with a bun at a chain if I eat nothing else probably.  Usually I ditch the bun though, like many others.  Ditching the bun also saves anywhere from 150-300 calories by itself, FYI - bread is super caloric which most don't realize.  A 600 burger goes to 400 calories sans bun usually, even if its still loaded with stuff.  Sadly, bread has very low nutrition, and the carbs make us gain weight.

My volume is actually decent.  I could easily eat 6ounce of meat and a few bites of something else, but I am strict with measuring since it's so much easier to be lax.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

TerriLMac
on 8/3/16 4:01 pm

I'm 10 months out and 100 pounds down and at goal.  This week, I was in San Diego and ate a half of an In 'n Out burger.  It was delicious and I felt fine after.  I could only eat half.  I don't usually eat bread, but I was at In 'n Out - enough said!  :)

Terri

Valerie G.
on 8/4/16 5:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It was several years post op that I was able to do this, for a normal size burger.  Larger restaurant burgers...even 11 yrs out...no way.  I enjoy a few bites of all my meals the way they were designed, and then I start my dissection process.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 8/4/16 5:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I -could- eat a burger with the bun, buy why would I want to?  I'd rather eat more burger :)  Most places will serve a burger sans bun, so I don't even have to pick it apart myself.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 8/6/16 1:53 pm

I would not worry too much about what you are able to eat but rather worry about what you should eat. Order you mean any way you like (though I leave out the fries so I won't be tempted) but eat the part i need and leave or take home the rest. Really no point in taking a bun home as I won't eat it at home either.  Only once did a restaurant question whether my food was alright because I ordered a seared ahi appetizer and didn't eat him all. I told him it was great and that I would take it home as I was a bariatric patient. Seemed to satisfy him, but then I don't mind revealing this fact. Most restaurants are very accommodating when I order a glass of wine and an appetizer as my whole dinner.   diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views