Considering the Sleeve...

happyteacher
on 8/5/16 4:51 pm

Hugs- you are not that far out. Things should get easier. Hang in there. Gerd sucks, been there done that. I feel for you. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/5/16 7:58 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Just remember some of those same vets did warn you about gerd & that you mentioned that your Dr advised you against it due to your severe gerd problems, but you went with the sleeve anyway. Not everyone gave you the sunshine & unicorns version about the vsg.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Anne O.
on 8/5/16 11:59 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

That wasn't me. You are thinking about someone else. My surgeon asked me if I had any GERD symptoms and I did not. 

Anne 
314/252/175
pre-op/current/goal
5'6"

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/6/16 12:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Sorry, gerd really does suck & it is a crap shoot on who gets it. Your surgeon should've warned you that it is a risk, or maybe the research you did, didn't emphasize the risk of getting it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

McLassie
on 8/5/16 11:46 am
VSG on 07/25/16

I'm not even two weeks out yet and I LOVE MY SLEEVE. Goodbye never ending hunger and cravings. Goodbye carbs, alcohol, junk that made me feel lethargic all the time. I don't even WANT them anymore. That's not to say I won't have a little bit here and there after I'm healed, but when you are only able to eat a small amount, you want to fill it with something nutritious. 

I love food even more now (and I am just starting to eat pureed foods). I love savoring the flavors, taking the time to enjoy every tiny bite. 

I love that when I'm hanging out with my neighbor friends in the yard, I'm not constantly thinking about what I'm going to binge eat in front of the TV after we finish chatting. I'm drinking my delicious cold water while they're putting down glass after glass of wine, knowing that I will be sleeping like a baby while they never get quality sleep because they drink every single night. 

I love that I have the energy to walk my dog over three miles a day. I'm even starting to sweat slightly less as I lose weight. 

I love that my face looks thinner already. I've lost inches everywhere, including my neck! I lost half an inch in my neck in ONE WEEK! 

There is a groundbreaking study underway (I'm one of the subjects) that is showing how remarkable this surgery is and why. Medical management doesn't even come close to touching the success of this surgery. 

You have to want it, though, and I would strongly suggest getting a psych eval (it may be required anyway, but pay for it yourself if it's not) because some people just aren't cut out for the surgery. You will want to know that before you make such a permanent, life-changing decision.

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/16 6:53 pm

Anne, how are you doing now?  I'm curious?  I have not had surgery.  Today I had a consult with resident surgeon.  I need a cat scan for my liver and another gastroscopy.  Although I wanted a sleeve, I was told that because of me already having a hiatus hernia, sleeve wouldn't be considered because the increase of acid reflux and ulcers with sleeve versus RNY.

i also have numerous liver cysts, which I have known about for several years.  They are benign, but CT is now needed to see if that might be a problem for proceeding with WLS.

im almost staring to think, maybe I should be re-thinking the decision to have WLS after reading your post.  

Id appreciate hearing how you are doing now. If you are feeling better about your decision.  

Thanks. 

Anne O.
on 8/6/16 12:12 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I still have GERD and no idea if it will resolve or if I may need bypass in the future. I'm taking a fairly large dose of PPI and H2 blockers and still can't sleep. (I'm writing this at 3 a.m.) 

So, no, not really. It's not much better. I am talking with a doctor in Houston who may have a solution to my GERD - I hope. 

https://houstonsleevesurgeon.com/interesting-case-severe-aci d-reflux-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

No, I don't think I would do it again. I was out of control with my eating, though, and I know how difficult - nearly impossible it is - to keep weight off without surgery. My outcome might be worse without it. Instead of GERD and bypass I could be looking at a stroke or heart attack at the weight I was at. I'm not sure.

At this point I am not sure about my future - will I need bypass? If I do, will insurance pay for it? Will I have complications that are worse than what I have now? 

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/16 10:56 am

I hope the GERD resolves in time or they find out what is causing it and correct it.  It's not meant for you to be in such discomfort forever, right?   Keep pursuing answers.  I wish you well on your journey!!!  

Will let you know what,happens to me whether my liver cysts allows for surgery and whether my hiatus hernia allows for the sleeve. 

Hugs, 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/5/16 7:54 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Just remember that you are very early out from surgery so some of the things you're experiencing now you might not experience later. Surgery will never cure head issues or cravings for **** you shouldn't eat. I've never eaten to the point of throwing up, eating too much/too fast does not equal throwing up, at least not for everyone. Most people learn to slow down if that's what happens. So how do you feel on changing bad habits? I can eat greasy/tough foods. Just like foods that you can't tolerate now, in time you might be able to tolerate it again.

Hormone dumping, yeah it sucks, just like the possibility of getting gerd. I haven't heard any vets here say they take 3 different ppi a day & wake up with acid in their throat & say they love their sleeve. I'm pretty active on here for a couple of years now & haven't seen that kind of post.

If anything I've seen the I had to revise to the rny because of terrible gerd that developed. I did see 1 particular poster that went with the vsg even though she had terrible gerd & was advised not to get the vsg, only to see it get worse, but those are the risks & she decided to take them over whatever risks the rny had, both have risks & possible complications. Its just up to the individual what it is they're willing to live with.

There is no sunshine & rainbows with any surgery. What there are is facts, research & more research & finally learning & listening to those that have walked the path b4 you.

stacyrg
on 8/23/16 2:15 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

LOL, I was on 3 different PPIs H2 blockers at the same time with acid in my throat and I said I loved my sleeve.  I did.  It gave me a life I never would have had.  It's just that my sleeve and I had a dysfunctional relationship.  I loved it and it tried to kill me!  All kidding aside, if we could have come up with a solution to my GERD that didn't involve revision, I would have jumped at the chance.  However, I'm happy with my RNY and the GERD is gone.  I stick by what I've said in the past.  If I had GERD prior to surgery I never would have chosen VSG with the hopes it would cure my reflux!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views