VSG versus RNY

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 7:44 am

Exactly the same for me! I felt uncomfortable with RNY rerouting and didn't like how the pouch created has a tendency to really stretch (I know many post-RNY people who have gained all their weight back). Plus, my biggest reason for gain was not WHAT I ate, but how much. I wanted to permanently change my capacity and my capacity only. 

Absolutely no pain, nausea, gas, getting in water/protein, or issues with food and I'm down 179 lbs. I don't regret my choice one bit!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 11:24 am

That's amazing!!! Congratulations on all your efforts!! 

Joshua H.
on 10/17/16 1:21 pm, edited 10/17/16 6:22 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I will be having VSG soon.

My surgeon initially suggested RNY because of my Type 2.  I discussed it with him got him to understand that when my weight was under control(ish) previously, I didn't have issues with A1C or Glucose.  Therefore, we agreed that VSG is a good solution for me.

If RNY was my only option, I would be having RNY instead of VSG.  They both have pluses and minuses.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 5:58 am

Joshua H, 

I'm not diabetic, but sounds like you and your surgeon have thought this through. 

Best of luck with your surgery!!! I wish you a speedy recovery!! Let us know how it goes and how you're doing!!

happyteacher
on 10/17/16 4:07 pm

Do a search on the topic, there are oodles of posts. Here is my short version: My doc recommended Rny due to being diabetic and having a ton of heartburn preop. I was afraid of rerouting intestines (mom had colon cancer, I know not related hence irrational on my part). I have arthritis, asthma, and allergies so I wanted to be able to take nsaids if needed. The loss of ghrelin was a bonus. The idea that my stomach works like normal just a smaller version was appealing. I am awful, and I mean AWFUL, at taking vitamin supplements. Rny that would have been more of a problem for me. Hernia was repaired during the sleeve surgery with no acid issues for the first couple of years. Weight loss was comparable between the surgeries. 

This past year, tons of acid again. Turns out the occurrence of a large hiatel hernia was responsible. Add to that I blew out the gallbladder around the same time and both were taken care of in the same surgery. I am out of chances though- any more acid issues and it will result in a revision to rny. So far so good. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 6:13 am

Happyteacher, 

Trust me, I have searched and researched this topic to exhaustion.  

I also have heartburn.  It's not bad as I take Prevacid daily.  I also have a small hiatus hernia, which my surgeon said he will fix, if it's big enough.  (Apparently, very tiny).  I also have arthritis, aches and pains.  My mom has osteoarthritis and I think I'm following in her footsteps.  I don't want to give up my NSAIDs.  The pH manometry test did not reveal anything worrisome.  All was within normal limits.  I do have a weak valve He believes with weight loss, my heartburn will get better rather than worse, although obviously there are no guarantees.  

I also have many polyps in my stomach revealed in my last gastroscopy, so better to have the sleeve, to access stomach in the future if need-be, although the polyps in the stomach part that is excised, will be gone!!

I hope your lay our latest gallbladder surgery and hiatus hernia repair have fixed the issue once and for all!!  All the best to you and thank you for telling me about your journey!! 

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 6:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

NSAIDs are actually not allowed after any WLS if you follow current recommendations. :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 7:01 am

Hi Gwen,

Actually, my surgeon says there is no contraindication for using NDAIDs with VSG.   

Here in Ontario, Canada, only the RNY is paid for by provincial health insurance plan.  They only way to get VSG covered is if surgeon determines there is medical reason patient can't have the RNY.  Lap band is not funded at all.  

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 7:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It would be wise for you to read recent research and recommendations from sources like the ASMBS about NSAIDs.  Surgeons don't always advise us based on current standards, sadly.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 8:26 am

Gwen, 

Thanks for the reference.  I have bookmarked it for future reference.  I did see a Q&A in your reference and the response indicated that NSAIDs should be avoided in RNY because of ulcers and stomach irritation.....and that some surgeons suggest limiting the use of NSAIDs after sleeve and banding as well.  

My surgeon has approved me for the NDAIDs I currently take. I fully trust his expertise in all aspects of my WLS.  

I appreciate the reference though.  There is a lot of valuable info there.  Thanks. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views