VSG versus RNY

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 10:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Forgive me, but I'm confused. You asked a question, but it's abundantly clear you had already made up your mind, and have answers for everything. Are you just looking for affirmation?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 10:47 am

Grim,

Im sorry if I've confused you.  Yes, I was asking the reason why people chose or had the sleeve surgery versus the bypass.  Why should that matter if my surgery is already booked?  Am I not allowed to ask a question on this forum regardless of what I'm having?  I don't have answers for everything, I never claimed I did.  

Im sorry, but YOUR question confuses me.  If you had RNY why are you reading my post in the VSG forum and why are you responding on my post/question, if it doesn't pertain to you? 

Anyone that posted to my question, I graciously thanked for their response and wished them well.  And if I am looking for affirmation, why should that matter to you? 

Forgive me, but your question sounds snarky and not very welcoming to someone new to the forum and to WLS.  Whoever wants to respond can and did.  

I'm sorry, but what is the/your problem?  Maybe you should answer people that you might be able to help or contribut to in a positive manner.  

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 11:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On October 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM Pacific Time, Porridge wrote:

Grim,

Im sorry if I've confused you.  Yes, I was asking the reason why people chose or had the sleeve surgery versus the bypass.  Why should that matter if my surgery is already booked?  Am I not allowed to ask a question on this forum regardless of what I'm having?  I don't have answers for everything, I never claimed I did.  

Im sorry, but YOUR question confuses me.  If you had RNY why are you reading my post in the VSG forum and why are you responding on my post/question, if it doesn't pertain to you? 

Anyone that posted to my question, I graciously thanked for their response and wished them well.  And if I am looking for affirmation, why should that matter to you? 

Forgive me, but your question sounds snarky and not very welcoming to someone new to the forum and to WLS.  Whoever wants to respond can and did.  

I'm sorry, but what is the/your problem?  Maybe you should answer people that you might be able to help or contribut to in a positive manner.  

Usually people ask questions and make comparisons before making a decision. Asking those questions and making comparisons after arriving at their choice is either a sign of nervousness and uncertainty, or a need for a pat on the back and a high five. I wasn't sure which one you were before, but it's becoming more clear.

For someone who has researched a lot, you give a lot of bad information through this thread. But others have given you equally wrong facts as well. When I started to respond, I was going to set some of that misinformation straight. But when it was obvious from your answers to others that your mind was made up, I decided not to bother.

Help comes in all sorts of ways. Here on OH I've had my hand held many times. I've gotten my ass kicked a lot too. It's a big part of what got me to goal and kept me there. My new goal is helping everyone I can to do the same. There is very, very little difference between VSG and RNY. At least 90 percent of the experiences of one are transferrable to the other. And right now, I know a lot more about VSG than you do. Or most people with a VSG, sad to say.

My only problems here on OH are dealing with the obstinate and parochial. Anything that might help in that regard is by definition a positive contribution.

Welcome to OH. I wish you every success.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 12:30 pm

Grim,

Of course I'm nervous about surgery! I think most people are.   Anything can happen during or after surgery.  Especially if you've never had surgery in your life.  I don't need a pat on the back or a high five that's not what I was looking for.  I really just wanted to know why some picked VSG over bypass and how their journey has been.  I'm sorry that I didn't ask a question that you approve of.  

I don't know what I've said for you to become snarky and so hostile.  I don't get it. 

What bad information have I provided thru my thread? I don't understand what you are referring to.  Perhaps you could clarify what bad information I've provided, because I'm very confused and I would like to have correct information if I've obtained and provided something that wasn't.  

I've seen from previous posts that you have been very helpful to others, so your blunt response to my question took me aback. I was not expecting that.  

I thought the purpose of this forum was to ask questions and provide each other support, not to criticize a question and make someone feel badly.  You don't know my background, the medical issues I might have or what issues might weigh heavily in my WL decision.  

I was greatful for all the responses I got and in turn thanked everyone and wished them well.  If I have offended anyone, or provided bad information than I apologize.  

Please let me know what information I provided that's incorrect. 

You make me feel like I've done something wrong in posting a question.  And although I'm booked for a VSG, I could change my mind to RNY if I decided to, not that that should have any bearing on someone asking a question on this forum.  

I am neither obstinate or parochial, just trying to determine if VSG is the best for me.  If you'd rather I not stay on OH I will leave this forum, as I don't need to be treated in this manner. 

Thanks 

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 12:40 pm

All I can add here is that I encourage you to not let one person's feedback dissuade you from staying on OH and participating in the wealth of support available here. I got a ton of negative feedback when I was pre-VSG and posting. I was actually told, flat-out by some vets, that I would fail in my weight loss and be here a year from now crying about "what went wrong." I didn't listen and stuck around. I am so glad I did.

Hopefully you stick around and learn and interact! This is quite a useful community to have in your corner, even if you don't always see eye-to-eye with everyone!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 1:54 pm

FuturePinUp,

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm sorry you went thru such a horrible pre-VSG time as well.  It's really so sad. 

Im so happy for you and your weight loss success!!!  You must be so proud of coming so far!!!  Congratulations!! 

Thanks again.  I know there is a lot of great information here that people share and I thought it would be a great support in my weight loss journey also.  

All the best to you!!! 

Kudzu
on 10/18/16 2:40 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

No need to leave. You will see many varying opinions here. Take the gems that work for you and leave the rest. Do your research and couple that with your medical team who you already trust. Work whichever surgery you decide. You will be a success. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 3:48 pm

Thank you.  I appreciate it. 

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 11:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's great that you trust your surgeon, but it's also important to do your own research as, ultimately, you're the one who will have to pay the price.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

califsleevin
on 10/18/16 5:44 pm - CA

The thing to understand with medical organizations such as ASMBS, AMA, AAP, etc. is that they are first and foremost an advocacy and lobby for their members (doctors) and a public service to patients second. Add in the political intrigue fostered by different factions within the organization, and it means that you have to be careful about where these "recommendations" come from, and whether it is indeed a recommendation of that organization, or just a posting by one of its members or groups of members. Given that somewhere around 90% of the full members of ASMBS have grown up with the bypass, and for many/most it is still their primary procedure, it is should not be surprising that much of what comes out of them is tinted by RNY colored glasses. There is one piece that is often linked as a "recommendation" that has a nice chart comparing the different major procedures which has some outright laughable recommendations for the DS - it is quite apparent that there were no DS surgeons involved in publishing the piece (and no recognizable ones in the sitings; the DS is a fairly small community.) Most RNY practices use the same protocols for the sleeve as they have developed for the RNY out of convenience, lack of experience with the sleeve, and occasionally competitive reasons, though some divergences are appearing as they get more sleeves under their belts. This is where these blanket "no NSAID" recommendations come from, even though there are widely divergent tolerances between the different procedures. They are a big NO-NO with the bypass due to specific structural quirks with that basic configuration which doesn't apply to sleeve based procedures, where they tend to be treated as a small no-no: useable with proper supervision and precautions.

When looking for sleeve specific recommendations, it pays to look toward the DS world, which is its' closest relative with extensive history, when you see conflicting advice, as much of what we see in the bariatric world as a whole refers mostly to a procedure that we don't have. It sounds like the OP's surgeon is on the right wavelength with the sleeve world.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views