Nausea every time I drink something ... Is there something wrong with me???

Tricie89
on 11/6/16 8:05 pm

Hey guys, It's me again. Here with another question.

Lately every time I drink something I get really nauseas (unless I drink about 30 mins after I eat something). Not only that, but I've been feeling a little crampy today. It feels like period cramps, but I'm not on, nor am I expecting to be this soon in the month (Sorry for the TMI) ...  Just cramps kind of on the left side of my lower belly, and my side. Don't know if this is normal, or if I should call my surgeons office. I don't even know if it's related to surgery or not.  Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this? It's not too painful, just very uncomfortable. I'm nearly 3 weeks post op.

Cathy H.
on 11/6/16 8:41 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Gosh, Tricie, that's awful. I'm only a week out myself, so I have no advice for you, I'll let the veterans handle that.  I hope it gets better soon, though, and it's nothing serious!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Tricie89
on 11/6/16 8:52 pm

Thank you! I hope so too. And good luck to you. Rest well, and congrats on being a week post op!

Neesie57
on 11/6/16 8:44 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

One thing is, you shouldn't be drinking anything until at least 30 minutes after eating.  Your stomach gets very full on a small amount of food, and liquid on top of it can make your stomach hurt, or you can feel nauseated.  

I wish i could help you with your pain, but I don't know why it is happening.  Good luck, and I hope the pain passes soon.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Tricie89
on 11/6/16 8:50 pm

Thank you! Yes I know about waiting. And I do wait all of the time. I meant like hours after I eat. If I have some water I get nauseas. I don't know why its happening. It just happened recently too, and I ate my last meal at about 5:30 or 6. But thank you so much for the response, and well wishes. I'm resting to see if it helps the pain chill out. : )

Anita
on 11/6/16 9:07 pm

Hi there....first of all, congrats on being on the Loser's Bench - I don't know if I officially welcomed you before, but it never hurts to say it again.

I haven't had any nausea after drinking, but if I drink too fast or too much at once, I get a "reminder." Could that be part of what's happening? My best advice is to take it really slow and if this persists for another day, give your doctor a call. It is more than likely nothing, but better safe than sorry. Could be simply that your new stomach is adjusting....and healing. But it can't hurt to ask the doctor

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Tricie89
on 11/6/16 9:18 pm

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose I do tend to drink too much too close together. I guess I'm still just getting used to this (sipping :) ). I need to take my time. As for the dull crampy feeling. This is the first time I've felt it, and it was after I ate. Giving it time is good advice. I'll call my doctor tommorow (just to be safe) if the pain is still present. Thank you so much for the great advice Anita! And for the lovely welcome!

AK_Gipson
on 11/7/16 3:52 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Try something warm or hot to drink. Decaf coffee, or tea. Diet hot chocolate. Your tummy may not like cold right now. Try flavoring the water with crystal light. I'm 2 and a half years out and I can not drink plain water. I use Powerade zero and Propel flavored water. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Tricie89
on 11/7/16 4:00 am

A nice cup of hot chocolate sounds great right now :) . Thank you for the advice! I just tried some crystal light last night, and it did a lot better with my tummy the plain water did.

justsonya
on 11/8/16 8:51 am
RNY on 09/01/16

I want to second this. I loved ice water before surgery and could not tolerate plain water at all for weeks after. I had to add some sort of no-cal flavoring to get it down. If I didn't it just really didn't sit right at all. I still struggle with plain water at any temperature at 9 weeks out. So I use Mio, caffeine-free herbal teas and so on to add flavor and get my water in.

The first time of three total that I threw up after surgery was because I drank too fast. Try drinking more slowly and frequently. I start when I wake up and try to sip every 3-5 minutes except before and after eating to get it all in.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 441 views