Back on Track with Questions

HippieDreads
on 11/20/16 8:47 am

I had VSG in May 2013. I originally only lost about 29 lbs I regained all but nine of them. When I stopped losing about 4 or 5 months out I gave up and started eating the old way again. Here I am almost four years out. I have restriction still having never drank with my meals and avoided carbonated drinks. About a week ago I started doing high protein again. It took a day or two to lose the carbs I was still pretty high in those at first but then I talked to a dietician who suggested I do two protein supplements a day instead of meals and One protein filled meal of 1 cup size half with protein based half low carb veggie. I have been doing that for two days and the two days before that I did high protein low carb diet. So this is day five and as of yet I've lost 4 lbs in 5 days. I was considering having the bypass surgery and am half way through the weigh ins. I'm wondering, do you think I will be able to lose this weight without going to another surgery? I am no longer having sweet cravings or cravings of any kind. I'm really kicking ass in my diet and I'm proud of myself once again. I cut my caffeine in less than half and have cut my carbs to about 30 a day. I am tracking on myfitnesspal.com my name is Jenniflower75 if anyone wants to friend me. I know the weight loss will slow down when I start eating three meals a day again in a week but I'm happy it's coming off fast now. SO what I want to know is What do you guys think? Should I see where this takes me or should I have the second surgery? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 9:33 am

Congratulations for getting back on track. That is a hard thing to do. Keep the path and you will see results. 

Here's the deal: You were not successful initially because you went back to "eating the old way again". RNY will serve you no better after you recover from the surgery IF you don't change your eating habits for the long haul. End of story. 

It's your choice what to do, but remember the only way you will be successful long term is to change your eating habits for a lifetime. 

HippieDreads
on 11/20/16 9:44 am

I still have restriction so that's a bonus. I just worry I won't lose after I go back to eating three meals a day. I'm not having any cravings or anything so eating like this is not a problem. I'm eating healthy and good tasting foods. I love it. I haven't really started exercising except for the 25 squats I do with a 5 lb kettle bell. I have all kinds of physical restraints right now due to being attacked at work. I'm on workmans comp and there are a lot of exercises I can't do yet. PT approved the squats so that's what I'm doing. Do you think since I still have restriction I can get to goal?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 10:13 am

I do. What you have to realize is that no matter what anyone says, weight loss is about how many calories you eat. It's not about exercise and moving your body. Yes, exercise is great for so many reasons, but it does not have a huge effect on weight loss. 

So, if you're afraid you're going to gain weight when you go back to eating 3 meals a day, you need to seriously look at those three meals. I have no idea how tall you are, how old you are, or the medical factors you face as an individual that can impact your weight. What I do know is that if you want to lose roughly a pound a week you need to create a 500 calorie per day deficit. Figure out your calorie level right now. If that works for you and your weight loss is where you want it, maintain that calorie level. 

You will have to weigh, measure and track your food and intake - NO MATTER WHAT if you want to get to goal. If you think you can eyeball it, forget it. It hasn't worked so far. I'm not trying to be harsh, just want you to be realistic about what needs to happen to get you to goal. It's a daunting task, but one made so much easier because of your sleeve. 

Like I said, the choice is yours. The RNY is a great WLS. It works, just as the sleeve works, BUT you will have to do your part either way. That's what you really, really have to understand. I have friend who had RNY and she is right back where she started because she has not changed her eating habits. If you don't change your habits the surgery type you have won't matter one iota. 

It's about the work you're willing to put into the process 

White Dove
on 11/20/16 10:42 am - Warren, OH

There is no law saying you have to go back to three meals a day.  I am nine years out from surgery and could never eat three meals a day.  I have more like five or six snacks a day between 200-300 calories each.

If I am trying to lose weight, then I have 900 calories spread over the course of a day.  A "meal" might be a 80 calorie yogurt or a low-fat cheesestick.

If you stay on the plan you are using now, you should have most of the weight gone by the end of two years.  If you have RNY surgery you will still need to follow the low calorie eating plan to be successful.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

psychoticparrot
on 11/20/16 12:44 pm

If you eat the right foods in the right order and in the right amounts, you will lose weight with your sleeve.

Protein is your best friend. Always eat your protein first -- it fills you up like nothing else does. If you get an uncontrollable craving, eat a few ounces of protein, and it will go away; it kinda has to go away because there isn't any more room in your sleeve for anything else. Personally, I stay away from protein shakes and bars -- you shouldn't be drinking your calories, and shakes and bars are highly processed. Stick to lean, natural proteins -- meat, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu and, occasionally, beans.

Rid your home of all junk food and junk carbs, even white potatoes and rice. Don't let anyone bring junk food into the house. If it's there, you'll eat it. If someone in your family wants to eat junk, they can go out and buy it and eat it away from home. 

Track every morsel that goes into your mouth. You probably already know about myfitnesspal.com. Use it.

That's it. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Rachel B.
on 11/20/16 6:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I originally lost 120 and gained back about 70 of it.  I am working my way back down.  It was uncomfortable the first few weeks, getting through the carb withdrawals.  Now, I'm cooking with gas!  I may go for a revision, and am pending testing, but my tool still works.  You just have to be anal about weighing and tracking.  If you bite it, write it.  If you nibble, scribble.  If you don't have a fit bit or some other activity tracker, they can be beneficial.  Walking, or some kind of physical activity, IS important.  Hang around!  The support is invaluable!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

HippieDreads
on 11/21/16 5:23 am

I'm just curious if your tool still works why would you want a revision? I'm down another two pounds. Six days and six pounds on the new and improved eating plan for my life. I'm so excited to see weight loss. I feel like if I announce it then it will stop. I'm scared to be secure in my loss. But I'm thrilled to see it can happen by people like you. :D Thank you for sharing. I've been doing some weight bearing exercises with weights, a kettle bell, and soon to start the punching bag :D :D :D Life is looking more manageable these days. I'm so happy about this.

Rachel B.
on 11/21/16 6:10 am, edited 11/20/16 10:25 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

if it works, I'm good.  Revision was my first thought. That the tool is working is a huge bonus.  I'm gonna have my surgeon take a look at the tests, if there's room for improvement, I may go for it.  I also have a new hiatal hernia that is another impetus to get the revision.  The one thing I know is that getting closer to goal is difficult.  But Maintenance is the hardest.  Life is what gets in the way.  I still have the stressors that didn't go away after 2010: my fathers health, and worrying about the other loved one's I have, finances, etc.  But I can put them in perspective.  I am tickled my sleeve is working.  I will just have to see what the future holds.  And as of this morning, I'm down another 2!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Gwen M.
on 11/21/16 5:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This isn't the most popular opinion, but I think that it's important to figure out why you only lost 29 pounds post-op.  If you don't figure that out, I don't think that you'll ever be successful regardless of your current diet or revision surgery, or what.  I really think that the biggest thing WLS does for us is to give us a space to work on the mental stuff while not having to battle food at the same time.  But the only way any of us will have long term success is if we get the mental stuff sorted out.  Why did you sabotage your weight loss after 4-5 months?  Why do you eat to excess?  Why did you give up on yourself once the scale stopped moving?  Those are questions you need to ask and answer - a therapist can help you with this.  

Beyond that?  Track every single thing you put in your mouth.  You say you're using MFP, so you're probably doing this now.  From there, get back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different:  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
      a. Do not drink while eating or for 30 minutes after eating
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

Come to OH on a regular basis and participate.  It helps.  

I believe that if you get yourself sorted out, you won't need a second surgery and, if you don't, a second surgery won't help.  Clearly your VSG is still a functional tool that will work for you - you just have to work for it.  

You CAN do this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views