4 years out with photos!

kerry B.
on 1/12/17 8:55 am
VSG on 11/04/13

So good to hear from you!! I was wondering how you were doing.  It sounds like you have found a way to move forward that brings balance and makes you happy.  

Congrats on your continued success from one Georgia girl to another!!

Kerry

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Kathy8429
on 1/13/17 3:43 am

You look amazing!!!!

Delete delete
on 1/13/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 12/29/16

Wow! You look amazing. All that hard work. #goals

Jenn1
on 1/13/17 7:34 pm
VSG on 06/04/14

Thanks for the inspiration. You have done amazing!

Its great to see veterans at 4 years out. It's not easy, right? the work never ends after goal.

CC C.
on 1/14/17 9:00 am

Thank you for sharing! I am at the start of my VSG experience, but am no stranger to repeatedly losing massive amounts and struggling with regain. It's what I am most concerned about heading into surgery. Hearing other's experiences years out is so helpful and makes me realize I have a lot of work to do on my relationship with food to be successful.

KittyKarin
on 1/16/17 9:38 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and taking the time to read and comment.  That's so very kind of you and I will try to stay around to help answer questions in the forum as I can. Have a wonderful day! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

LuckyDuck
on 2/17/17 8:25 am

Wow! First, you look ? amazing!

secondly, your post really spoke to me. I e been maintaining for about a year but recently have had a bit of regain which I keep fighting to lose. Up and down. Up and down. Your sentence about "white knuckling" through each day was exactly how I feel. My head feels so jumbled and messed up. I was getting miserable. Like you said, still on a constant diet, just now at a lower weight. 

I just purchased the "Intuitivr Eating" book a couple days ago, so I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I am sof afraid of "letting go" and gaining and gaining. But I think this is the approach that will finally let me find peace. 

How did you make that first jump off into the world of non-restriction? I feel like if I let go, I'll ruin everything.....

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

KittyKarin
on 2/17/17 1:39 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there!  Thank you for your response! :-) 

I was so sick of the up and down and push and pull of my weight.  It was making me miserable too and I felt bad all the time.  I was eating like it was my last day on earth every day that I wasn't "on my diet".  The first thing I had to do was change my mindset.  I still have to work on it every day except some days are much easier than others and I barely think about it and just eat what makes me feel good and most of my choices are healthy.  In the past, I would eat on autopilot.  I'd feel an emotion and then I'd immediately want to pair a certain food with it.  Stressed at work?  POTATO CHIP TIME!  Mad at husband? Chocolate, I need you!! 

Reading intuitive and mindful eating info and listening to podcasts and even looking at body positivity and mindful eating posts on Pinterest helped force me to face my eating issues head-on.  I don't take "days off" any more.  I definitely still have days when I eat things that aren't healthy but I try hard not to associate "Bad" or "Good" values with them.  I think, Ok, You just ate a handful of Fritos standing in front of the pantry when you got home... why? Did you really want that or are you feeling an emotion you are trying to appease?  If there is a reason, I acknowledge it and address it and see if I can change something so I don't feel the need to do that again.  If I just wanted some damn Fritos cus they are delicious, I say "Yum, that was good but not super healthy.  Next meal, I am gonna get some yummy veggies and protein in."  Taking away the shame of eating certain foods and mentally knowing that I can have any food I want at any time and I won't immediately gain 100 pounds back has been instrumental in my mindful eating. Putting my health and fitness above the stupid scale also has helped tremendiously. 

I am in NO way an intuitive eating guru.  I still track most my food most days on MyFitnessPal which isn't really encouraged in that movement.  However, I have taken things I can use now and I am working my way to a healthy food relationship.  I don't freak out if I get 1500 calories in a day and I only wanted to eat 1250.  I just note it and move on. It's working for me now but every day is a new day and a new challenge.  I don't feel miserable any more and I'm very happy with my body and fitness right now so it's working for the time being.  Good luck on your journey!  Take the time to focus on yourself and it will be worth it! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Kathy S.
on 2/17/17 2:03 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are doing the Happy Dance with you. Not only for your weight loss success but the insight you have gained!  Thank you for sharing!  Don't be a stranger!  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130