Length of stay in the hospital after the sleeve

Heather B.
on 2/18/17 7:40 am
VSG on 03/09/17

I am having my bariatric surgery done in Philadelphia, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and received my date in March 2017.  I was wondering if someone can tell me the exact number of days they were in the hospital after having the Vertical sleeve done.

Also, what kind of things would you suggest that I need ahead of time to shop for.  I have the bullet, and am wondering if I need a small blender?

CC C.
on 2/18/17 9:43 am

Generally it's one night. If you're having any troubles it may stretch to two, but that's not common. It's hard to believe, but some surgeons do it outpatient. That seems really dangerous to me.

happyteacher
on 2/18/17 9:59 am

23 hours, and I also had a hiatel hernia repair done at the same time. The bullet can work for your needs, but I love my Vitamix. I have been off and on liquid diets since vsg, and the Vitamix makes that far more tolerable. I am very picky though about texture. Hence, you bullet will get you through if you are not as picky as I am. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/17 10:17 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Congratulations on receiving your surgery date!  I have a Nutri Ninja and use it every day.  Sam's Club had it on sale late last summer.  My surgery was late after noon, out of recovery at 8:00 pm and home the next day at 1:00 pm. One thing I can't live without is flushable baby wipes.  I get a 3 pack at Walmart and can't live without them.  I wouldn't stock up on much else because taste changes drastically after surgery for most people. Before surgery I loved Premier Protein shakes and couldn't tolerate them until about 2 1/2 months out. All after care is different but I loved my binder, a velcro girdle, that was placed around my abdomen immediately following surgery.  It was a life saver for me when turning over in bed and giving my abs support. Ask for one if they don't give it to you.  

hollykim
on 2/18/17 11:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM Pacific Time, Heather B. wrote:

I am having my bariatric surgery done in Philadelphia, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and received my date in March 2017.  I was wondering if someone can tell me the exact number of days they were in the hospital after having the Vertical sleeve done.

Also, what kind of things would you suggest that I need ahead of time to shop for.  I have the bullet, and am wondering if I need a small blender?

length of stay is a question for your surgeon

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/18/17 12:03 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I was there three nights.  They kept me one extra night due to feeling nausea. Glad I had that extra night. 

Have your protein variety, Popsicles, broth, blender, and crystal light ready!

Good luck!

Rachel 

I had a VSG 2/1/17.

diane S.
on 2/18/17 12:31 pm

I stayed one night and was bouncing off the walls the next day to get out of there. I was lucky and had an easy time.

One thing about blenders is you may want to blend your protein shakes with ice at times. Some of the smaller bullet type blenders can't handle ice. I got a cuisinart blender which can do ice. For some people the protein drinks are easier if they are icy cold. Gl, you will be so glad you did this.  Diane s - 7 years out. 

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Heather B.
on 2/18/17 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/09/17

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I hope to learn a lot of helpful little hints now that I have found this forum!

Vegbeth
on 2/18/17 2:56 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I stayed 2 nights and was glad to be there. I could hardly drink and was nauseated so I think it helped getting iv fluids. 

I had a vitamix at home and have used it every day since surgery. Really helpful in the puréed phase. 

CMB_713
on 2/18/17 4:29 pm
VSG on 01/31/17

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!  My surgeon's standard is two nights.  It really depends on the particular surgeon's protocol.  I was NPO for 12 hours post op (overnight), then 60 mL of water/hour starting the next morning, then they did a leak test in the afternoon.  When I passed the leak test, they let me have protein shakes.  I had pretty severe nausea, even with around the clock Zofran/Phenergan until they let me start the protein shakes.  It was hard to get them down, mind you, but they still helped the nausea in the long run.  I was ready to go home first thing the second morning, though. 

I have been using a food processor for the occasional pureed meats only.  I have a single serve blender with a removable bottle, but have been primarily using store bought shakes right now.  I'm sure I'll get back into blending my own shakes when I can have more variety. 

Best of luck to you!

Most Active