First appt on my way to the Sleeve....

kim79
on 3/1/17 12:16 pm

I had my first apt with the dr office today and I am on my way to hopefully getting the sleeve.  I was leaning towards the switch but  my BMI is not high enough at 46.4 for my insurance to cover it (it had to be at 50) plus a few other things made me a little nervous.  I was wondering why you all decided on the sleeve vs the bypass? I am just curious.  Is there anyone out there who has had the sleeve 5 plus years that is still at goal weight and still in love with the decision to have the sleeve? I had the lapband in 2009 and had it removed in 2011. so I am a little gun shy about starting the process over again.  I have 3 months of waiting before I will know if my insurance will cover the surgery. (I have hoops to jump thru then their decision process).

rachelp
on 3/1/17 12:39 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I chose the sleeve because I only wanted to make my stomach smaller. If I would have had diabetes and other comorbidities or addiction to sugar/sweets and needed the "dumping syndrome" then I would have chosen RNY. There are more risks for complications years out from RNY such as strictures and intestinal blockage. I also like that the larger cut portion of the stomach is removed rather than left in our body unable to be scoped. If you "search" (top right) that topic using certain key words such as "sleeve vs RNY" you will find lots of info. This has been asked many times.

Good luck in your decision! 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

kim79
on 3/1/17 12:51 pm

Thank you.  The intestinal blockages is one for me since I also had a C-section and already have a slight risk there. thanks for the search idea. 

Rachel B.
on 3/1/17 2:17 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

My mom and I were sleeved the same day.  While I gained weight back, my mother has not.  Neither on of us have had complications or regret our decisions.  And while I am having to lose weight again, and it's not as easy as it was eight years ago, it is still going rather well, and I'm grateful for my tool!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

kim79
on 3/1/17 3:40 pm

Thank you for your honesty. I am trying to gather as much knowledge as possible all the way around. I have never talked to any long term sleevers.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views