I wish I never had vsg surgery

Lethat37
on 3/28/17 7:27 am
VSG on 07/26/16

I I am fighting binge eating and I can't get the help I need anywhere. I have always had a problem with food and I feel surgery made it worse. I eat more now than before surgery, I work with a therapist and a psychiatrist that won't listen to me when I say my eating is out of control!!! I have only lost 50 pounds in 8 months. I know a lot of people have success with this surgery, but not me. It has made my problems worse. I followed my surgeons plan to the t, hardly any loss, so now I give up.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/17 7:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your therapist and psychiatrist won't listen, it's time to find a new care team.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/28/17 7:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Find better doctors.

Keep working. It may not seem like it, but you CAN'T be eating more now than before surgery. You've lost 50 pounds.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

theAntiChick
on 3/28/17 8:31 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I think it's very important to find a therapist who a) you 'click' with and b) specializes in eating disorders. I lucked out with my first try, and I credit my therapy as much as the surgery with helping me get my emotional eating and overeating under control. I really don't think either alone would have worked for me the way the two together have.

It really sounds like you need to shop around for a new mental health team. I can't even imagine how awful it would be to have my therapist not listening to me and not being supportive of making healthy changes in my life. I really think you'll find your point of view changing if you can get a good team to work with.

Regardless, the VSG is not reversible, so harsh as it may sound, your only option is to find the best way to move forward with the choices you've made. I've been on this and other WLS forums for about a year and a half now, and most people I've talked to and read their stories end up happy with the choice and their only regret is not doing it sooner. Some will regret the choice, of course, it's not a one-size-fits-all. But don't write it completely off in your mind until you get a good mental health team. It really sounds like you're working against the current, and that is going to color everything surrounding the issue.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Mary Gee
on 3/28/17 9:20 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I never regretted having surgery. But I did know I needed therapy to help. I had a hard time finding a therapist I was happy with. I found a Gem, but she was the fourth therapist I saw. First therapist moved out of state, the next two were complete failures in my mind.

IMHO, it's a hassle, but find a new therapist.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Sabrina J.
on 3/28/17 1:07 pm, edited 3/28/17 6:24 am
VSG on 04/10/17

Please don't give up! I have not even had my surgery yet but I know it was a lot of work to decide, get appointments done and insurance and you have undergone so much more than I have. I sit here today really hungry having had 1 shake stretching my time out for the second and then a small serving of chicken and veggies, pre-op week 1 of 2. Today I have told myself that this is worth it even though that big glass of water did not touch the hunger, I am worth it, it is worth it to be able to buy clothes in the 'normal sizes', it is worth it to feel confident, to not worry about fitting in a chair or if people are concerned I will sit next to them on the plane, it is worth it to ski with my husband and kids again, it is worth it to not get winded and sweat like crazy when we take our family to Hawaii for Christmas this year and the kids want to hike to see waterfalls, it is worth it to not have my kids or husband have to take care of me when I am old because of my weight. I am worth it! YOU ARE WORTH IT! If there is one thing I have learned here and while learning about having VSG...it is this...the surgery gives me a tool, the tool is my stomach smaller to help me...but if I do not accept this help and do what I am asked to do, I will be cheating myself and those around me. Trust me...I know about overeating...I see the food my skinny friends often leave on their plates when we go to lunch and mine is clean, even though I know that portion should really be for 2 or 3 people, clearly I can't stop or I would not be having surgery. When we have a moment of wanting to eat we have to pause and ask why and then ask is this helping me to be healthy, to give me the freedom. I have to stay focused and keep my mind in the right place, to change it when it drifts- and I am sure it will drift and some days be agonizing. I have read so much and stalked this site - it looks like 800 cal is what you should be at - sugar is the devil -seriously - yes a cup of strawberries is fruit, natural fruit - but it is still carbs/sugar and you have to count the carbs and the calories. Let's face it, we have to be very strict about our sugar, carbs, calories, protein. If most people in this forum did not stop themselves over and over and over the tool would not help them as they had hoped. Please don't give up! If you are not a busy person, get busy working, playing, cleaning, crafting, do a hobby, walking, volunteering! I work from home and being busy today has helped me! You might be saying...she has not even had surgery yet--well, you are right - but I know what it is to feel over whelmed, a failure at my weight, hungry, sad and alone in this battle, heck I start a diet every Monday! You are not alone - don't give up - you deserve to be your best self - physically and emotionally - to be the happiest you can be, truly happy in the moment without sadness tucked in hiding underneath. Look at what is important to you and what you want long term, not the short term of having seconds or eating a piece of pizza and a cookie-those are short term and not worth it. Keep a journal and stay within your carbs, calories, exercise, stick with a plan everyday! CELEBRATE WHAT YOU HAVE LOST-50 IS AWESOME AND YOU HAVE TO GET TO 50 BEFORE YOU CAN GET TO 100- YOU HAVE COME TOO FAR TOO STOP--YOU CAN DO THIS--YOU ARE WORTH IT-DON'T GIVE UP!

Lethat37
on 3/28/17 7:51 pm
VSG on 07/26/16

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, I really needed them today. Good luck on your journey

Sabrina J.
on 3/29/17 6:21 am
VSG on 04/10/17

I may have gone on a soap box a little too long...sorry- I just don't want you to give up! You can do this!!

Bskaug
on 4/3/17 10:08 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi Sabrina!

I have my surgery scheduled on the same day you do. I am looking for a friend or two to help me through this transition. I am doing the liquid diet and am so hungry, it's nauseating. I currently have the lapband and getting it removed and revised to VSG. My band has eroded and I have a hiatal hernia. My fear? I only lost 13 lbs with the band, I don't want the same thing with the sleeve. I think my biggest issue for my overeating is my hunger....

Cathy H.
on 3/28/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Where would you be with your binge eating if you had NOT had the VSG? 50 pounds heavier, that's where. The surgery was never going to fix your binge eating. But BECAUSE of the surgery, you're not only 50 pounds lighter, but you could have been 50 pounds heavier than where you started.

As the others said, you need a new mental health team who can help you with your binge eating issues. My sister has Binge Eating Disorder and takes Vyvanse and it does wonders for her. Good luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views