Please help.

4121951lfc
on 4/26/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 04/13/17

I got a surgry date may 15,2017 for sleeve,really scared,he will remove my band.I need lots of advice..

Gwen M.
on 4/26/17 1:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What questions do you have? Hopefully your surgeon has given you lots of information already?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Readyjwc
on 4/26/17 2:05 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

It's ok to be anxious and a bit nervous. It's major surgery and, as you know with the band, a life change. Any questions you have may have already been answered on this forum. Just use the search button and I'm sure you will gain a wealth of information. Knowledge is the key. Knowing what to expect and what the unexpected could be will help you make a decision.

I also agree that you should consult your surgeon if this isn't normal jitters but that you are, indeed, "really scared."

I wish you the best of luck.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

4121951lfc
on 4/26/17 2:30 pm
VSG on 04/13/17

Thank you

Anita
on 4/26/17 8:11 pm

Hi there.....I'm a band to sleeve revision and it's wonderful! My band was removed last March and my sleeve was done in June.

It's understandable that you have some questions and concerns. Be certain to make a list of all of your questions and bring them to your next appointment with your surgeon's office. They will be happy to answer everything to help allay your fears. What you still might be concerned about.....ask your questions here....this place is the best!!!

Breathe.....you're in good hands......most people have some feelings of anxiety, you aren't any different. If meditating helps, go for it....hypnosis - great......walking (especially now that the nice weather is here) - another great diversion. Whatever it takes, go with it but most of all, don't think that you're different, strange or anything else.

Before you know it, your big day will be here and you'll be on your way to better health......it's all good!! You can do this and we're here for you.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

4121951lfc
on 4/27/17 5:03 am
VSG on 04/13/17

Thank you

dh101
on 4/27/17 11:12 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I got my surgery date. (The one I really wanted!) While I am not converting, just going for the VSG. I can relate to some of your anxiety. VSG is totally permanent! It is major surgery where we are asking someone to permanently remove part of our body.

For me, I work on staying focused on the WHY, WHAT I GAIN, and WHAT I NEED TO DO.

The Why: for me is that I can't stand working hard to loose the weight via a strict diet, and then bam I regain all the weight and more! I am tired of being tired and have no strength. (The why NOW is that I have a wonderful husband who is totally supportive!)

What I Gain: I expect to gain better health. Most of my ancestors lived LONG lives. What I don't want to do is live a long time but in a feeble body. My father's mother lived to be 103, however she was in nursing home a wheelchair from age 85 on. The person I would like to be more like is my mother's mother. While she only made it to 100, she lived in her own home, went places, saw people until age 99 1/2.

By loosing the extra person I am carrying around, I will have less stress on my joints. This has to result in more energy and ability.

What I Need to Do: I have the standard list. Drink water, Exercise, Eat correct portions starting with protein, see medical team for ALL appointments, classes, or tests. Being an engineering type person I also am reading all I can. Learning about what I should do, and trying to find out WHY I should do those. I am asking now about post surgery, because I want to be sure that I understand what my real choices will be. For examples... 1) Why does my doctor's team want me to drink milk (ok skim milk)? I HATE MILK! So I ask what may I substitute for the milk? Another protein shake? 2) Apple sauce? May I make my own from apples and splenda or stevia? How fine a mush does it need to be?

I get that my stomach will have a major wound that is trying to heal in a hostile environment. The helpful bacteria will probably die off as part of this change, so I get why the Yogurt... got to replace the little elves.

Conclusion... I have enough to do that (between remembering the Why and the What I Gain, and learning all and doing all of the What I Need to Dos, that I have been able to keep the anxiety at bay.

I hope you can reset the meat computer (brain) so that it can focus on the positives and let go of the what might happens.

All the Best of Luck!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views