Miralax

yvranx42
on 5/22/17 2:44 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I'm with you on the once/day minimum. I used to be a 3x a day person before surgery. It doesn't surprise me to be less frequent now given the lowered volume of consumption. And I wouldn't mind the lack of frequency if there weren't for constipation issues. That said - I would always rather jump on the scale AFTER a morning BM!!

Rachel B.
on 5/22/17 1:44 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I take Magnesium 400 mg twice daily. No need for miralax.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

yvranx42
on 5/22/17 2:40 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I should say too - I always do better (Miralax or no) when I'm able to get some natural fiber in the form of some kind of veggies. I'm still at the point where my protein normally is more than enough to really fill me up, but on the opportunities when I can get in some brussels sprouts, or broccoli, or something else green and fibrous, I'm usually rewarded with a nice BM the next day.

dh101
on 5/22/17 2:56 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I don't use Miralax because even a half dose is way to much for my system. I find that I will be constipated if I don't drink enough water. At worst 2 dried apricots, or 1 fig and my 64 oz of water will set things straight again, without gas! (Yes I do KNOW that apricots and figs have sugar, but 1 or 2 isn't going to throw me into sugar shock.)

I realize that my system is quirky. The prep for a colonoscopy had me with terrible gas pain, and runny diarrhea for 4 days afterwords!

So I have learned to use tiny adjustments and not big chemical compounds.

Good luck!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

yvranx42
on 5/23/17 9:33 am
VSG on 02/01/17

I ate a fig yesterday with a small piece of manchego cheese at dinner. Really good!! It wasn't in isolation of my Miralax though, so both probably contributed positively to bowel health this morning.

AD_Jordan
on 5/22/17 4:22 pm

I'm not able to use Miralax, as I have IBS. Between bariatrics and the GI, the decision has been to use prunes and a non-habit forming stool softener. And LOTS of water and walking.

I used to be a 4x/day kind of girl. Now if I go once, there's a tickertape parade. :)

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/17 9:56 am

I have IBS-C. The Miralax is the only painless, odor-less, gas-less thing that works for me. Doc approved.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erin T.
on 5/22/17 4:40 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I take 1/2 to a full capful mostly daily. I skip if things seem to have gone the other direction, or if things have been ok and but I'm traveling. I never skip more than two days in a row, or I end up right back where I started.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

yvranx42
on 5/23/17 9:34 am
VSG on 02/01/17

That's what I'm afraid of. I think I've only skipped a day at most since I started. I already have the portable single serve packets stuffed in my suitcase for when I travel. It's good to know there's plenty of people here who are on it as a daily regimen.

hollykim
on 5/23/17 8:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Pacific Time, yvranx42 wrote:

For those of you who use Miralax - is it an ongoing, daily use for you? For long periods of time?

I started using it after my 3 month post-op appointment. I had been having constipation issues during most of the first three months, and since I've been on it (about 3 weeks or so), I have been much more regular. The label says not to take it for extended periods of time, but I'd rather keep taking it if that's what I need to keep things moving at this point.

I'll ask my doctor as well, but interested to hear your experiences too. Thanks

my coloreacta surgeons plan is:

cstart with stool softeners,as many per night as needed for a soft am stool

if no stool by bedtime that night add a capful of miralax to no more than 8 ounces of liquid.

If soft stool next morning, continue with the stool softener every night as long as you are getting a soft stool the next day.

Ifbyou wver don't get a soft stool the next day addvthe miralax that evening.

it is possible you will have to take something for your bowels for the rest of your life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views