Gained all but 20lbs back

shytyrayne
on 5/23/17 9:36 pm - Hopkins, MN

I had surgery in 2012 and did amazing for over 3years. I got majorly sick and we lost everything. I gained all my back but 20lbs. Has anybody had this happen and were you able to get back to your goal weight. I am feeling like such a failure and am in so much physical pain from putting all the weight back on. Thanks

Heather West
Mary Gee
on 5/24/17 3:42 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Heather, I'm so sorry for the difficult times you've had. I never reached my goal due to somewhat similar events. (Illness/passing of SO, fire destroyed my home.) My weight loss stopped and I eventually started gaining.

I made numerous attempts to get back on my program, without success. But I never, ever gave up. Don't beat yourself up. We can't change the past, but we can shape our future. The formula that finally helped me:

1. Get back to Surgeon's Office. I made, and kept, appointments with my Surgeon, Nutritionist and Psychologist.

2. I started therapy. She has helped me get rid of the feelings of failure, and focus on the Now.

3. Started Weigh****chers. That helps me with accountability. Post-Op I had to see my PCP every month and I would get weighed at each visit. Now I don't see my PCP monthly, so I needed something to keep me on track.

I'm glad to be able to report that I am finally losing again and believe I will reach goal. It was a struggle, but my determination has paid off. I think we all have to 'hit bottom' again before we can finally get back to basics..... Under 800 calories, under 40 carbs, at least 65 protein grams, and at the very least 64 oz. of water.

It's definitely worth it. Believe in yourself.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 5/24/17 4:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi! In good news, you've done this before, you still have your tool, and you CAN do it again. It'll be hard and it'll require lots of dedication, but you can do it.

First things first - I recommend that you start measuring and tracking every single thing you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. That will help you to understand what you're eating and how you need to change your diet.

From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, yours might be slightly different:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
a. do not drink for 30 minutes after meals or during meals
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

You can do this!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 5/24/17 7:33 pm

I'm 2-years, 3-months post-op, and I'm finding it more difficult to stay on track than the previous 2 years. I don't know if the sleeve stretched, or if I'm eating more empty carbs, but whatever the reason, it's more difficult to lose or maintain the farther you are from your surgery date (thank you for that insight, Frisco!).

Start again with a few days of high-protein, moderate-fat foods. This should help eliminate carb cravings. Then follow the food plan you used your first year.

If this doesn't work, then go back to your bariatric surgeon and nutritionist and ask for help. You may need to be re-sleeved.

I wish you the very best! I hope you'll report back here soon with good news about your weight!

psycbhoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views