Talking with my PCP

NYMom222
on 7/24/17 8:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not necessarily but my PCP, but I have been told by several people that I am the most successful WLS person I have met. I wholly attribute it to this site keeping me focused and the people on it.

I do go to hospital support, and support groups in the community. I have met some wonderful people. But I also see a large portion of the people just getting larger. And while people talk about subjects, they don't get real... Talk about the down and dirty. And honestly sometimes that's easier done online, with a little anonymity. But it still works

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

AggieMae
on 7/25/17 12:17 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Gwen, my clinic (at the hospital where I work) defines success based on statistics. Using a formula based on the "average" out comes for other WLS patients your age starting weight who have the same surgery. It's likely the same scale yours used.

The "average" for a 64 year female who starts at around 300 pounds is 40 pounds in the first 6 months and fourth more in the next 12 months. I actually busted into tears when she told me this at my pre op appointment. I decided not to be average. My goal is to be fit and healthy. I don't need to be ultra thin but remaining obese, or even "overweight" after having major abdominal surgery just didn't work for me.

As for the clinic statistics. The initial weight losses improved dramatically once the multi disciplinary approach was initiated. And continue to improve every cycle. The five year numbers not so much.

Gwen M.
on 7/25/17 6:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hm. I feel like my surgeon just wants people to get to a BMI of 30, but I never asked about it because it didn't matter to me.

Disappointing about the 5-year numbers. Constant vigilance.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

FuturePinUp
on 7/27/17 5:56 am

I think your doctor's experience speaks a lot to the overall stigma or attitude people still have about WLS. As much as you can try to reinforce that surgery is a tool, it's still a point that people don't get.

There is still this attitude that if you have WLS, you'll just lose - even if habits stay unchanged, or bad ones creep back in. Sadly, it seems that even people who have had WLS are not immune. I have also had to leave facebook groups because the participants encouraged each other to make awful food choices (I mean, like Cheetos-awful). When a few people voiced their concerns, Cheetos Girl got on the defensive about how her doctor says it's fine, because they're one of the few things she can stomach, she counts/tracks them, blah blah. And I think that's kind of a common trend - people slip and have things they shouldn't, see they're still losing regardless (honeymoon phase, anyone?), and thus allow more bad habits to creep back in.

This is why I like to constantly reinforce to people (especially the "WLS is the easy way out" crowd) that all my surgery did was change my stomach capacity. I was the one ultimately responsible to change my diet and habits to ensure that my smaller capacity was put to good use.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

diane S.
on 7/28/17 12:13 pm

I have heard from my surgeon that the statistics on regain after wls are pretty dismal. Thats why he insists on five years of follow up and doesn't just send you down the road. Yet he told me that his solid maintainers were having trouble at about the five year mark. Not sure why except that I know that keeping weight off has got to be a lifelong commitment. One small meal at a time.....

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views