Advice for hair care

PookyS
on 11/4/17 7:03 pm

I just hit the 3 month mark after surgery, and my hair is shedding. I know this is common and it will grow back. Aside from meeting protein goals and taking my bariatric vitamins that include biotin, I have a few questions that hopefully a professional hair stylist can answer. Should I refrain from coloring my hair? I just had it done 2 weeks ago and my stylist asked me to book my holiday appointment soon. Will coloring every 7-8 weeks make things worse? I'm only washing and using heat on it every 2-3 days. Is that too much or does that not affect the amount of hair loss?

NYMom222
on 11/4/17 8:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The hair loss has to just run it course. I wouldn't worry about coloring your hair. I would ask your stylist about changing up the cut if needed to make it look fuller.

Dry shampoos help you get some volume. Batiste brand has colored ones so you can go longer between you h ips if needed.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Neesie57
on 11/4/17 8:45 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Sometime, coloring your hair makes it look thicker, so you may want to ask your hairstylist about it.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Gwen M.
on 11/5/17 4:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend asking your hair stylist about these things!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/5/17 9:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Google "telogen effluvium" to get more information about your post-surgery hair loss. Basically, you're losing hair because of the shock your body underwent during surgery. Washing, styling, or dying your hair isn't going to have any impact on how much hair falls out. (Both my surgeon and stylist confirmed this.)

Biotin won't do anything to prevent the hair loss, though it can help things grow back a little bit more quickly.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mirandia
on 11/5/17 7:33 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Nothing you take will change your shedding. Hair has a natural pattern of growing and not growing. The surgery causes allot of your hair to go into the non-growth phase all at one time. During the non growth phase your hair is more likely to fall out. The ONLY thing that will limit its loss is to refrain from washing and brushing it. The more you mess with it, the more that the hair will come out.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Valerie G.
on 11/6/17 5:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There's nothing you can do to prevent or treat telogen effluvium and everything you're doing now with protein and vitamins will nourish the new hair about to push out the old. Coloring should have no adverse effect. It may even bring more body by stimulating the follicles at first. I suggest a layered cut to blend in the new growth that will come in a couple of months. Those with long, straight hair start to resemble a chia pet in certain light. Texture blends it in beautifully.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views