Too much too fast?

FLFattie
on 11/21/17 6:49 pm

I'm really confused and a little worried that I'm jumping the gun with what I'm eating. Surgery was 10/4. Supposed to still be on puréed/soft food. Well the puréed as been super difficult due to texture issues so I really didn't eat much of anything but soup during this time. With testing soft foods I'm finding that carbs go down way too easily. Like I just ate a whole English muffin with no problem. But getting chicken down is really hard, even with chewing to death. Have any of you had this issue as well? And how long were you on puréed?

Erin T.
on 11/22/17 3:22 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Yes. It's normal and you need to knock off the carbs. That's how you gain instead of lose. At this stage, your stomach is still healing and you need to follow the exact plan your surgeon gave you. You shouldn't be able to eat much. Sometimes as little as a tablespoon.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/22/17 7:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you are only cleared for soft foods, DO NOT EAT AN ENGLISH MUFFIN. Your stomach is still healing, and you are putting your life in danger; a chunk of food could get into your staple line, cause a leak, and possibly kill you.

I am 100% serious about this.

At this point, you will feel NO sense of restriction. The nerves in your stomach have been cut and are still healing, so you cannot rely on that to tell you what to eat, how much, or how fast.

Once you're healed up, you'll find that you can eat more carbs than protein-- they're called "slider foods" because they slide right through your sleeve. This is why it's crucial that you stick to a protein-forward diet to maximize the use of your pouch.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kristi T.
on 11/22/17 10:05 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

During this phase I made sure I ate very moist protein, I mean really moist. I used Kirkland canned chicken because it's soft and moist. I ate tuna mashed with mayo and hamburger mashed with broth and sour cream. I baked A LOT of white types of fish, like cod and swai. I agree with everyone else, stop the English muffins they can be sharp and dangerous when toasted, plus it's a carb you don't need right now. I am 19 months out and still haven't had an English muffin because it is way too easy, like you posted. Follow your plan guidelines and take advantage of your restriction and you will do great.

diane S.
on 11/22/17 12:12 pm

I used to poach a chicken breast and then grind it up in the food processor. Then put a spoon or two of this into hot chicken broth. Nothing else. This is a good way to eat chicken. Alternatively, just don't eat it. Have fish. And ditch the muffin. You should be very low carb at this point. GL. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Mirandia
on 11/22/17 4:42 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I was eating cottage cheese, yogurt and scrambled eggs during that phase. I mixed in cheeses every now and then for the flavor.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

FLFattie
on 11/22/17 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone. It's been hard. Trust me, that was the first English muffin I had had and I do try to stick to the protein. Just that the puréed texture has been difficult. Tomorrow will be hard, but at least there are soft foods and gravy. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm thankful for all of your input.

Valerie G.
on 11/23/17 5:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Chicken breast meat was especially difficult for me at first. When addressing new meat, go for the moistest possible. Think slow roasted...crock pot....pressure cooker. With chicken, that would be thigh meat for moist and tender. Ricotta cheese is a favorite of mine. YOu can layer it with sauce and mozzerella for the gooey part of lasagna, or you can beat it with some pudding mix and a little milk for a tasty treat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views