Hunger after surgery

Kerlain
on 3/13/18 11:51 am
VSG on 02/28/18

Hi guys! I just had surgery about 5 days ago. I'm starting to worry though cause I'm not getting full the way I thought I would. Is it me or am I alone in this feeling? I'm trying so hard to "eat right" But in all honesty I have no idea what I'm doing! Do I eat until I'm full? Measure everything?? Please any help from you guys is appreciated ?

mmsmom
on 3/13/18 12:09 pm - Woburn, MA

don't eat until you're full!!! Your nerves have been severed. Measure according to the directions you have received from your doctor and don't eat any more than that. In fact, don't even eat that much, if you get full. Are you on liquids? At 5 days out, I could barely get in anything. Don't overdo it.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Kerlain
on 3/13/18 1:58 pm
VSG on 02/28/18
  • Mmsmom thanks! I never even thought about that! Should I still be on liquids only? The nutritionist told me I could eat foods that we're purred like cottage cheese and cream of chicken soup. Some consistency. I've not had any problems with keeping things down. I hope that's a good sign. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/18 12:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Right now, the nerves in your stomach have been cut. You will not feel any sort of "full" sensation until that's all healed up, which could take a month or more.

Has your doctor provided you with a post-op eating plan? Most folks transition from an all-liquid diet back to normal food over the course of 4 - 6 weeks under their surgeon's guidance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kerlain
on 3/13/18 2:02 pm
VSG on 02/28/18
  • Thanks Julie. The nerves thing! Didn't even realize it! The Drs did give me a plan but I guess I'm just overwhelmed. Between trying to get in 60 grams of protein and 64 oz of water it's a lot. Any suggestions on getting in the protein? I've had cottage cheese and pureed foods, but should I just stick to protein shakes?
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/18 2:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Protein shakes are good, but I know I felt a lot better when I got as much protein as possible from "real" food. (At least, as "real" as purees can get!)

One thing that helped me was to add unflavored protein powder to things like soup, yogurt, and cottage cheese. It helped break up the monotony of protein shakes, which I always thought were pretty gross.

Make sure you keep a water bottle with you at all times, you'll basically want to sip on it any time you're not eating (or waiting 30 minutes after you eat). If the volume is overwhelming, you can get 3oz paper bathroom cups and sip from those instead; I found it a lot easier to mentally tackle a bunch of small cups.

You can do it!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lbelas
on 3/14/18 9:27 am

Try Isopure protein water. It was my saving grace post op

B. Jones
on 3/14/18 1:19 am

Stick with shakes for protein, work in a little food when you hit your goal. Protein and water are your new besties right now. Measure it out, don't have to do it forever. But right now better to be safe. Probably be a while till stomach and brain are on the same page again.

Hang in there

Nknerr
on 3/14/18 7:55 am
VBG on 12/07/17

measure, measure, measure and try to get your 3-4 ounces of water in an hour. I actually had some little medicine cups that I lined up on my desk and filled them every hour until it became a habit to make certain I drank enough! Now, I have a 20 oz thermos-type drink cup that I make certain I fill three times a day and it takes me to the 64 oz limit (I usually have at least 1 protein shake 4 oz serving a day).

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views