Sleeve scheduled in 3 days, just got cycle!

lilacs78
on 3/27/18 3:35 am
VSG on 03/30/18

Hi everyone I'm new here but have been reading for months.

I specifically scheduled my surgery when I'm be done with my period for the month, with all the stress and liquid diet something for the first time ever went haywire and my period didn't come as normally on schedule so I was relieved thinking maybe the stress caused me to skip a month and I'd be homefree from icky messy pain this month, welp she just showed up heavy and cramping as always. I don't know what to do the Tylenol isn't helping, I'm use to Advil and aleve, now I'm even more scared thinking what will I do during surgery? They told me I'd be nude and it's at a teaching university hospital, I don't use tampons, what can I do? Does anyone have any advice or can relate to the situation? I'm so nervous, crampy, cranky and hungry plus a migraine from the lack of food.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/18 7:59 am
VSG on 03/28/17

The narcotics you will be on for a few days after surgery will take care of the menstrual pain. I would just use a menstrual cup or a tampon during the surgery, but if you don't that's fine too. There will be a sterile drape over your crotch and legs most likely - surgeons often have a sterile drape separating their surgical field from the rest of the body. Being on your period really shouldn't affect your surgery in any way.

tlh4life
on 3/27/18 8:02 am
VSG on 04/11/17

I was on my cycle during my surgery. They let me where a pair of hospital supplied, disposable underwear with a pad. The underwear didn't really fit. The nurses were really nice about it, as they've seen everything. It was really my own issues with it all, not the medical team. The worst part was changing pads after surgery because of the abdominal discomfort. The first thing I did when I got to my room was change into my own underwear and use the pads I like. You'll be fine!!!

Gwen M.
on 3/27/18 8:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd recommend calling your surgeon's office and asking what their protocol is for this - I'm sure they have one, it happens often :) If you call and ask, you'll KNOW, and then you won't spin yourself up with anxiety worrying about it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/18 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Medical professionals are completely used to dealing with bodily fluids. They've totally seen menstrual blood before. You won't squick them out, promise!

Call your surgeon and ask them what you should do; they can also tell you what to expect in this regard at the hospital.

If the Tylenol isn't helping right now, I'd suggest a heating pad. I had killer cramps before I had my IUD put in (which I absolutely recommend, BTW), and a heating pad made things a lot more bearable.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lilacs78
on 3/27/18 8:59 am
VSG on 03/30/18

I've emailed the head nurse about 4 hours ago, I'm just a bit embarrassed/ashamed about them having to deal with my mess. I'm wondering if they could prescribe some muscle relaxants or something since I'm without Advil/aleve, my lower back and the uterine cramping is taking my breath away, I'm laying on a heating pad. Tylenol is not my go to period relief. When I've called them they never seem to get back to me until the end of the day. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. How do I get a weight loss progress ticker like some of you have?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views