Weight loss after surgery

Nicolegagnon2012
on 3/27/18 6:07 pm
VSG on 09/05/18

How soon did all y'all notice a change in weight? How long did it take for the pounds to start coming off? I know it will happen and that i will meet my goal just curious what time frame i will be looking at and i know it is different with everyone. Just curious ?

Knitter215
on 3/27/18 8:26 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

The first thing not to freak out about is getting on the scale a day or two after surgery and weighing more than pre-surgery - they pumped you full of all kinds of fluids in the hospital. I think the numbers started to really drop for me about a week out. But beware the 3 week stall - it happens to almost everyone.

People really didn't start noticing my weight loss until I had lost about 40-50 pounds. But I felt different with every pound.

Just remember that your body needs a good 6 weeks to heal from the trauma of surgery - be gentle with yourself and kind to yourself.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

CC C.
on 3/27/18 8:31 pm

Many folks have their monthly weight losses in their signatures. Have a look at those!

Shannon S.
on 3/28/18 3:38 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm really just starting to notice it in pictures. II'm 60 down since surgery and 87 down since pre-op. I've been feeling it in clothes for awhile now, it just hasn't translated to the mirror and photos until pretty recently.

mmsmom
on 3/28/18 4:22 am - Woburn, MA

I found that certain sizes I was in forever, like a 16 and then blew straight from a 12 to an 8 - and the smaller you get, the more the lbs show - now 3 lbs shows alot on me and at the beginning, it took at least 20 before I felt/saw any difference

VSG on 04/28/2014

reree6898
on 3/28/18 6:21 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

When time comes for your surgery don't only rely on the number on the scale but look at your measurements and take a monthly picture. The only measurement I had was my waist which was great but I wish I had taken measurements of my thighs, calves, and arms too. However the best thing that I did do was take a picture every month from the front and side in front of the same doorway in my house so that I had something to compare to. When I felt like nothing had changed I could look at the comparison and see what a difference there was.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Pat D.
on 3/28/18 11:56 am
VSG on 01/17/18

I'm doing the same thing, and it really helps to have a photo record of our journey to better health! I can see a difference already and I'm only 2.5 months out of surgery.

Surgery 1/17/18 HW: 279 SW:261 CW:220 Goal: 150

"Nothing is impossible with God's grace.."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/18 9:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most people here who follow an appropriate eating plan and listen to their doctors' advice are able to reach goal in about a year.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/28/18 12:58 pm

I lost a lot during my 4 weeks pre-op liquid diet. So post op - I was losing slower than some of people who did not lose as much (% body weight). But I was losing steadily, every wee****il I met my goal and went 10 lbs below it.

A lot of people lose in stairs-like pattern. They lose a bunch, then nothing for aweek or 2, then they lose a bunch again. That can be very frustrating

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AnnieG522
on 3/28/18 1:13 pm
VSG on 10/05/17

I think I lost very quickly -- hit goal right before 6 months. I'm not young, and other than "steps", I have not resumed exercise. I have, however, complied totally with the program my bariatric physician has had me on, and worked pretty closely with the dietician there.

I have also taken shameless advantage of the support group and all their wonderful encouragement and tips. I'm highly motivated because of the quick improvement in my health, and the diminishment of the number of daily medications.

And it does vary -- I've just been fortunate. Of course, I've also had a substantial hairi loss, which I'm sure is due to the rapid weight loss, plus the 2 surgeries and transfusions with my VSG.

But just keep on doing what your program says; don't forge****er and SLEEP!

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views