Lose, gain, lose?

xoxsarahxo2
on 4/25/18 5:39 am
VSG on 10/19/17

Hello! Has anyone else lost their weight after surgery in this annoying pattern? One week I'm down 3 lbs, next I'm up 2, then I'm consistent, then I'm down. It's sort of frustrating! And I know the further out we are, the less consistent the loss gets, but I'm just curious if anyone else out there loses this way. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, even though I'm sticking to the plan.

help!!!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/25/18 5:50 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My weight bounces around in maintenance even if I am eating a consistent number of calories. During the weight loss phase I only weighed once a month (on my monthly surgiversary), so I wouldn't be discouraged by fluctuations and stalls.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

White Dove
on 4/25/18 7:29 am - Warren, OH

If that happens to me, it means I am eating too many calories and not moving enough. The same as before surgery. The less you weigh, the less you get to eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Shannon S.
on 4/25/18 9:11 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Mine is cyclical. Seems I go up two to three two weeks before my lady time, then when it starts I start dropping a pound per day for a week or so. Been like this every month so I've accepted that this is my body. Also salty stuff and not drinking enough makes me retain fluid, and therefore gain. Maybe your gains/losses are fluid shifts too?

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/18 9:33 am, edited 4/25/18 2:34 am
VSG on 10/11/16

Your weight varies daily. It varies throughout the day. I get up every morning and weigh myself. I promptly gain two pounds from drinking two 16 oz cups of coffee. Then I go to the bathroom. I might lose as much as a pound off that new number. And all this happens within the first hour of every single day. Every time you eat, drink, pee, or poop, you are going to change your weight. Sometimes it is noticeable. Sometimes not.

Two to three pounds in either direction is not a concern for me. If I hit four lbs up, then I?ll star****ching very closely. Four pounds down is not an issue either, but at 18 months plus out from surgery, it is increasingly rare.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/25/18 11:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Many people lose weight in a "stairstep" sort of pattern. This is totally normal!

If seeing the jumps in your numbers is freaking you out, try logging your weight at Trendweight. It'll help present a more smooth pattern that might be more reassuring!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

AnnieG522
on 4/26/18 4:34 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Totally. It's a mystery some days; then again, if I move the location of our scales to a different spot, I also get different weight. My scales is a couple of pounds heavier than the bariatric doctors scale, regardless. And water weight, salt retention, and just an reaction to some foods causes fluctuation.

I way post menopausal, but still have lots of variation (1.5-3 lbs). I do have a "mark" weight where I need to take a look back at what I've eaten. But I log everything so that's a help.

I also suspect that recently my "portion" monitor is a bit on the heavy thumb spot, lol. I'm trying to get maintenance in hand, but not sure my body is quite on board.

Keep doing what you're doing! It's a journey not a destination, I tell myself.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

red180
on 4/30/18 2:48 pm
VSG on 03/02/18

I am totally inconsistent in my weight loss. I have been stalled for 3 weeks and I'm only 8 weeks post op. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I stick to the plan, but it's not working. I hear people say they hurt if they eat too much. That has never happened to me. I hope it's because I'm not eating too much. I'm going to be checking for answers to your question to see if I can get some helpful advice, too.

Laura in Texas
on 5/1/18 5:36 am

What is your plan? Are you weighing and tracking your eating? It is easy to eat more than we think we are. We tend to have a long history of trying to fool ourselves.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views