White tongue??

ElaP
on 10/26/18 10:41 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Hi all! I had my VSG on Monday, 10/22 and I'm experiencing white tongue!!! I feel like it's from liquid diet, although I have had yogurt and puréed cottage cheese! Anyone else have this??

I'm also experiencing a taste/smell that I wake up with... only can explain it that way, it's entirely new to me and I can't relate the smell or taste to anything I've experienced before. It's nit terrible, just different.

4 Days Post-Op

hollykim
on 10/26/18 11:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 26, 2018 at 5:41 PM Pacific Time, ElaP wrote:

Hi all! I had my VSG on Monday, 10/22 and I'm experiencing white tongue!!! I feel like it's from liquid diet, although I have had yogurt and puréed cottage cheese! Anyone else have this??

I'm also experiencing a taste/smell that I wake up with... only can explain it that way, it's entirely new to me and I can't relate the smell or taste to anything I've experienced before. It's nit terrible, just different.

4 Days Post-Op

sounds like you have developed a yeast infection in your mouth. It is not unusual after any surgery/antibiotics.

A call to your surgeon for an anti fungal will solve the problem.

ElaP
on 10/26/18 11:24 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Oh dang!!!! Ok, thanks

sweetpotato1959
on 10/29/18 3:11 pm

Yep, If you are used to using natural anti fungals there are some that work well. I use Oregano on a regular basis, a couple fo times a week. Just put in search bar and look up ... for next time occurance... meinwhile get a rx....there are some losenges that can be prescribed. and you may need a systemic...some people are succeptable and a systemic yeast can be hard to get rid of. vinegar water and buttermilk douches followed after 30 min by vinegar one, can also be beneficial...if it goes down under...and becomes uncomfortable. Been there done that.

Valerie G.
on 10/26/18 11:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It can be a bacterial infection and also a sign of dehydration. You should be drinking a minimum of 64oz every day, starting the day they removed the IV from your arm. If you're not getting that, start now.

If it's bacterial, oil pulling with coconut oil might remedy it. You take a tbsp of coconut oil and swi**** between your teeth for 20 minutes. Coconut oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities and will pull all kinds of nasties out of your teeth too. Be sure to spit it into the trash instead of the sink so it doesn't clog the pipes. I do this weekly, but many do this daily.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ElaP
on 10/26/18 11:35 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Oh ok! I will oil pull... I didn't think about that! I am getting my fluids in, at least 64 or more a day. Thank you!!

Chanelcamp26
on 10/27/18 9:08 pm
VSG on 07/24/18

I had this after surgery as well. It was thrush, a bacterial or fungal infection in my mouth. It was exacerbated by the antibiotics given in the hospital and also by dry mouth.

I was prescribed nystatin which is an anti-fungal mouthwa**** has a cherry peppermint taste. It took awhile for mine to go away but it finally did.

Drink as much water as you can. Change toothbru**** can cause your mouth to feel fuzzy and your breath might smell weird.

Hope this helped. It is actually pretty common from what I've heard.

ElaP
on 10/28/18 8:00 am
VSG on 10/22/18

Ok thanks for the tips! I'm going to throw out my toothbrush now! My surgeon gave me a script for that too! Feeling better each day - thanks!!!!

sweetpotato1959
on 10/29/18 3:13 pm

Another option on the toothbrush is to soak it in antifungal... apple cider vinegar is a good and safe soak solution. I do our brushes every week....

PCBR
on 10/28/18 11:24 pm

Sounds like thrush. Same happened to me. A dose of diflucan and swishing with a apple cider vinegar/salt/warm water made it go away. Sorry you have to deal with it.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 75 views