Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag’s Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/19 1:56 pm
Topic: RE: One Wee****il Surgery...my system is rebelling!

Going against your surgeon's instructions, even in a healthy way, is still cheating. And if you can't buckle down and follow instructions, how can you be sure you won't cheat immediately after surgery, when cheating can cause serious physical harm??

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 9/19/19 9:02 am
Topic: RE: What Size Is Your Sleeve?

Bougie size does not completely determine the size of your sleeve. A surgeon can use a 36 and stitch tight to the guide, or use a 32 and go a bit looser, and both sleeves would effectively have the same capacity.

Realistically, the difference between a 34 and a 36, volume-wise, is about one bite.

on 9/18/19 2:23 pm
Topic: RE: Hair falling out.....again

Have you had blood work done recently? I believe some vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss.

on 9/18/19 2:22 pm
Topic: RE: New at this n FRUSTRATED

Nutrigrain bars are not a "healthy snack," they're nothing but sugar and carbs. Try having a snack with low carbs and lots of protein, like cheese, meat, or a protein bar (at least 10g protein per 100 calories), it may help your hunger.

on 9/9/19 2:12 pm
Topic: RE: Pre-op Testing For VSG in Mexico- Question??

Surgeons often ask for a sleep study (to check for sleep apnea), as well as an echocardiogram to make sure your heart is strong enough to handle the anesthesia. Your GP may be able to order these for you.

Good luck!

on 9/6/19 2:56 pm
Topic: RE: Update 5 years post op

Have you called your insurance company to ask what their requirements are to cover a revision? Call the customer service number on the back of your card and ask for their "coverage guidelines." They can lay out exactly when they'll approve a revision, so you can see if insufficient loss is covered before submitting.

on 9/5/19 8:32 pm
Topic: RE: Third day home and having weird shortness of breath. A feeling like the stomach has dropped too

Definitely call your surgeon to ask about the pain. That doesn't sound normal to me.

If you haven't had a bowel movement yet, you might want to try a stool softened (Colace) or some Miralax to get things moving.

on 8/30/19 11:18 am
Topic: RE: Addicted to Diet Coke

So I used to be a big-time Diet Coke addict. At 4 weeks post-op, my surgeon gave me the OK for caffeine and carbonation (in small amounts). I tried a tiny sip of Diet Coke this week... and it tasted SUPER GROSS! I've heard that surgery can change your taste, but I didn't expect anything like this. So you never know!

on 8/26/19 8:20 am
Topic: RE: How many of you needed revision from sleeve to bypass>?

I had my sleeve converted to RNY about a month ago due to GERD. I had never dealt with any acid trouble before surgery.

Weight regain shouldn't be a consideration when making your decision. Regain generally happens when folks make poor food choices and get lax on following the post-op rules, and you can do that with either surgery.

on 8/26/19 8:18 am
Topic: RE: Addicted to Diet Coke

Find something to replace it with. Crystal Light, sugar-free Gatorade, or something else flat and calorie-free. Just keep that on hand and it makes the transition much easier!

on 8/19/19 9:28 am
Topic: RE: 7 Years, What a Ride!

I love seeing all of your cycling stuff! There have been more than a few times when I've been maybe 10 or 15 miles into a ride when I just feel like I want to quit, but then I think of your RAAM stuff and keep pushing myself ;)

on 8/8/19 7:59 am
Topic: RE: Sleep Apnea..... Need to treat before surgery? Any one have this same situation

While it can be a little awkward to get used to sleeping with a mask on your face, the honest truth (from what I've seen on many years of OH) is that people get TREMENDOUSLY better sleep on a CPAP. I'm a stomach sleeper and used a CPAP prior to WLS, and I even found a way to sleep on my side/stomach with the correct pillow and mask.

To be honest, what you "want" to do here and what you're "down for" are pretty irrelevant. Untreated sleep apnea can have fatal consequences, and your surgeon's office is looking out for your well-being.

True story: I was on a CPAP at time of my VSG, but somehow the machine didn't make it to the OR for me to wear during surgery. They flipped on the anesthesia, I got knocked out, and I very nearly had a stroke less than ten minutes in because of the sleep apnea; it took them nearly two hours to get me stable and I very well could have died. This is no joke.

on 8/8/19 7:56 am
Topic: RE: Protein Shakes

Liquid cannot stretch out your stomach. So that's nothing to worry about!

Sip something constantly, whether it's shake or water. Doesn't matter how much of which at one time.

on 8/8/19 7:55 am
Topic: RE: GERD, VSG and RNY

I converted to VSG to RNY because of GERD 10 days ago. My acid was quite bad, but I have not had any GERD trouble since coming home from the hospital.

Per my surgeon, most people don't lose nearly as much weight after a conversion surgery, and when they do it's much slower. My goal is to lose only 50lb, and the doctor says he's had people with much lower goals-- or even people who just wanted to maintain after changing the surgery.

I did look into the alternatives as well. Fundoplication is not an option for us, as we do not have any excess stomach to use for the procedure. Outcomes for the LINX are not nearly as good; research shows that about 75% of patients see their GERD mostly/totally resolved, whereas RNY is 90 - 95%. Plus there may be some complications with it; I recall reading that the implant makes it physically impossible to throw up, which seems problematic.

Good luck!

on 7/28/19 8:50 pm
Topic: RE: I'm so frustrated. Somedays I feel cursed - only 3lbs weight loss in the SECOND month post op.

Protein is important, but ultimately it's calories that determine weight loss. If you're getting 80g protein but consuming 2000 calories, you won't see much weight loss.

on 7/24/19 9:08 am
Topic: RE: 6 days post-op feel the same

Testing your pouch can LITERALLY kill you. Progress your diet too quickly and you could rupture your staple line, cause a leak, and die. No joke.

You are probably experiencing "head hunger" right now. Excess stomach acid can also mimic the physical sensation of hunger.

on 7/22/19 8:46 am
Topic: RE: Ok so I think I hit my stall early

The "losing multiple pounds a day" phase is probably over for you. Most people lose a bunch of weight in the first two or three weeks, then it slows WAY the hell down. Keep with the plan and you can probably expect to lose 1 or 2lb per week, slow and steady until you hit goal. Most people take between 9 months to a year to reach their goal.

What exactly are you eating right now? Most people average 300 - 400 calories in the first few weeks after surgery. Your sleeve will NOT tell you when you're full, since all the nerves have been cut, so it's super important to weigh and measure your food.

on 7/15/19 9:28 am
Topic: RE: Gallbladder Surgery

I had mine out several years before WLS, and I remember the recovery being pretty miserable. I basically slept for an entire week and used all the pain pills they gave me! I remember the incision definitely hurt, I had to put a heating pad on mine to get any relief.

As long as you're not running a fever, and your incisions aren't hot to the touch or oozing, you're probably ok. Good luck and speedy healing!

on 7/10/19 1:08 pm
Topic: RE: Eating to much? No weight loss? Suggestions and (kind) criticism welcome!

Search for "three week stall" on the forums. This happens to pretty much EVERYBODY! Be patient, keep doing what you're doing, and you will start losing weight again.

on 7/10/19 8:21 am
Topic: RE: Best advice for someone about to get surgery- tips and advice welcome

Go back and start reading through old threads on the board here, both in the VSG section and the general section. This question gets asked a lot so you'll get some good info, and also get insight into others' experiences.

on 7/8/19 2:16 pm
Topic: RE: I need real straight talk advice.

One thing that's really helped me to exercise more is finding something I don't hate doing. For years, I tried to make myself go jogging, but I HATE running! After surgery, I started riding my bike, and discovered that I both enjoy it and I'm not terrible at it. Right after surgery I could ride a mile or two, and by the time I hit my goal weight I did a 40 mile race!

I also do a lot of swimming and go to the pool at the gym several nights a week. I have a waterproof MP3 player and I will swim 50 laps or more in a session. I think it's very relaxing and I actually look forward to it.

As others have said, though, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Start weighing, measuring, and logging your food to make sure you're staying at an appropriate calorie level for weight loss.

on 7/8/19 9:28 am
Topic: RE: VSG and GERD

If you have already done the supervised diet, I imagine it's very likely that your insurance company would accept that towards the RNY.

Many of the risks inherent to RNY also apply to VSG. People with both surgeries deal with hair loss (google "telogen effluvium"), need to follow the exact same vitamin regimen, and face the risk of ulcers or hernia. If you follow your supplement recommendations exactly, which means roughly 200% RDA on all vitamins/minerals plus bonus iron and calcium, and NO Flintstones vitamins, the risk of developing deficiencies is very low.

The notion that VSG has "fewer complications" only applies to the immediate post-op period of a few days. The long-term complication and mortality risks are very similar.

According to my doctor, the recovery is VERY similar for VSG and RNY. For both operations, assuming they're done laparoscopically, you'll spend one night in the hospital and be home from work for two weeks.

Personally, I am preparing to revise my VSG to an RNY in a couple of weeks due to GERD, though I've never had acid problems in my life before WLS. If I could have solved the problem with a single surgery in the first place, I absolutely would have done so.

on 7/7/19 9:55 pm
Topic: RE: I need real straight talk advice.

The five-day reset is complete bunk. It's just a fad diet that keeps you from getting back to the habits that made you successful in the first place.

If you really want to do a mental "reset," try doing AMAW (all meat all week) and doing nothing but lean, dense protein. No veggies, no carbs, just protein-forward like you did soon out of surgery.

on 7/7/19 7:51 pm
Topic: RE: VSG - 10 Years on. Weight Gain - Reflux etc

To answer your questions:

Yes, I had a VSG 5 years ago, and I am converting to RNY. I have gained quite a bit of weight back, due in part to the fact that my stomach has stretched back to almost its original size (surgeon says it's super rare and not my fault) but GERD is the primary reason for revision.

Insurance is paying for the revision. To revise because of GERD, I need to have acid that has not resolved after eight weeks of medication. My insurance also covers revision due to weight regain, but I don't qualify under that route; because my BMI is between 35 and 40, I would need a comorbidity and I (fortunately) do not have one.

Many people are having to revise their VSG due to GERD. I would suggest calling your insurance company to find out what their coverage guidelines are. Good luck! :)

on 7/3/19 9:59 am
Topic: RE: I have a bit of a conundrum and the advice of you experienced people may help

4 gallons per week is only 18oz per day, which is not nearly enough. At a minimum, you should be getting at least 64 oz (half a gallon) per day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views