Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag’s Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/26/19 7:34 pm
Topic: RE: Revision after VSG

I would suggest getting a second opinion. I currently have a hiatal hernia, and my surgeon said he could either just repair the hernia, or do the repair and convert to RNY (I have GERD) at the same time.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 5/22/19 8:59 am
Topic: RE: NeoCitran OK?

Yup, acetaminophen is just fine! If in doubt, give your surgeon's office a ring, they're good at answering questions like this :)

on 5/21/19 2:35 pm
Topic: RE: 1 week post op

You're probably not going to hurt anything by advancing your diet to full liquids a day early, but PLEASE follow your doctor's directions and stick to the dates given as you progress along the road to "normal" food. Progressing too quickly to solid food can result in life-threatening consequences.

on 5/17/19 10:12 am
Topic: RE: Tell me it gets better

How are you making your own protein drinks? What ingredients are you using? Very curious how you're making it work :)

on 5/16/19 8:51 am
Topic: RE: Day 1 post op

I definitely recovered very slowly. I spent most of the first week post-op in bed and napped most of the time. I had an easier time in week two and did more walking, but I was still exhausted. I took naps after work pretty much every day for the first three months, maybe more!

on 5/15/19 11:31 am
Topic: RE: Tell me it gets better

Have you tried different temperatures of water? I had trouble with really cold water at first, but room-temperature and warm sat much better.

on 5/15/19 11:30 am
Topic: RE: Two year post sleeve!

Have you spoken to a doctor about your bloating and gas? At 2 years post op, there's no reason it would be caused by the surgery (AFAIK) and it would be wise to get a medical input.

If you snack, make sure you're eating protein snacks. Get rid of the bad stuff in your pantry, and switch to stuff like cheese, lunchmeat, jerky, hard boiled eggs, and the like!

on 5/14/19 11:33 am
Topic: RE: lost ten pounds in two weeks- do i really need the surgery?

It's great that you've lost the weight. But can you KEEP it off? The biggest benefit of bariatric surgery is that it gives folks a much better chance of maintaining their weight loss and ending the cycle of yo-yo dieting and regain.

on 5/14/19 11:28 am
Topic: RE: paper thin nails

Nails get their air from the body's blood supply, not the atmosphere :)

on 5/14/19 10:18 am
Topic: RE: paper thin nails

Actually, nails don't "breathe." Nails are like your hair-- they're made up of dead material. That's why it doesn't hurt when you trim them.

on 5/3/19 2:21 pm
Topic: RE: Officially Approved!

There are tons of good posts on the forum about what to expect after surgery-- recovery, eating, that sort of thing. Just start paging through the archives for lots of info!

on 5/2/19 11:59 am
Topic: RE: Dumping???

As long as you follow the rules laid out by your doctor and don't eat more than your sleeve can hold, you should be able to avoid the "foamies" pretty easily.

on 5/1/19 7:19 pm
Topic: RE: Stall !!!!! for 3 weeks

Stalls are a normal part of the weight loss process, especially as you get closer to goal.

In general, the less you weigh, the fewer calories your body needs to sustain itself. As you lose weight, if you eat the same number of calories every day, your deficit decreases and your loss slows. If the amount you eat is equal the amount you burn, you will reach a maintenance point and not lose any further weight.

Can you share what you're eating every day? Do you weigh, measure, and log your food to be sure you're getting what you think you are?

on 5/1/19 2:37 pm
Topic: RE: Dumping???

It's possible to dump with VSG, but tends to be exceedingly rare. Most of the time (from my 6 years on OH), when people think they're dumping, they're more likely to actually be experiencing something like reactive hypoglycemia.

on 5/1/19 10:58 am
Topic: RE: Rebound

It's great that this works for you now-- but remember, you're only 7 months post op, and your body is still in "honeymoon mode" where it is very easy to lose weight or maintain. The further out you get, the harder it is-- both physiclaly and mentally-- so winging it may not work forever. :)

on 5/1/19 9:21 am
Topic: RE: Rebound

Weight gain is NOT inevitable, and not counting calories is a surefire way to regain. Very few of us were good with "moderation" before WLS, and there's no reason to believe it would be any more successful post-op.

The folks here on OH who've been most successful in the long term continue to weigh, measure, and log all of their food for life. The successful folks seem to keep their maintenance calories between 1200 - 1500, still protein-forward low carb.

If you're not breaking a sweat at the gym, you need to work harder. Just showing up isn't enough; you'll only get out of it what you put into it! If you're doing weight training, you can increase the weight and/or do more reps. If you're doing cardio, work to increase your heart rate by doing higher intensity work.

on 5/1/19 8:27 am
Topic: RE: Feeling horrible

If your current doctor isn't listening, you need a second opinion. Are there any other bariatric surgeons in your area that you could schedule an appointment? If not, a gastroenterologist may be able to help as well.

on 4/30/19 3:55 pm
Topic: RE: Calcium for women

Can you just take multiple pills?

Daily RDA for women is 1,000mg, so I'm guessing you have 500mg pills. The ASMBS recommends 1,200 - 1,500mg per day, so you can just take three pills at once :)

on 4/26/19 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Consult went well!

I don't think the OP has a band? From her post yesterday, it looks like she doesn't have a band to remove :)

on 4/26/19 10:14 am
Topic: RE: One Month Post Op "Your stomach will stretch out"

You cannot stretch your stomach back to its original capacity. YEs, it will "stretch" a little bit, but not in the way you might think.

When you first have surgery, your new smaller stomach is going to be very swollen, and you will have a great deal of restriction. Over the first few months post-op, as everything heals, the swelling goes down and your capacity will increase. Then, for most people, it seems like your sleeve will "relax" a little bit and mature to its final capacity.

For example, when I first transitioned to "real" food after surgery, I could barely eat half of an egg, MAYBE a few bites at most, before my sleeve felt full. By one year post op, I was satisfied by one egg. At five years out, I could probably eat two or three on an empty stomach. But that's still FAR less than I could eat before WLS.

on 4/24/19 4:34 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for a true plus size knee brace that fits

I did a quick Google and found this site-- they make knee braces that go up to a size 6X! Maybe they'd have something that would fit?

https://www.braceability.com/products/bariatric-plus-size-kn ee-brace

on 4/24/19 2:28 pm
Topic: RE: Caffeine after surgery

Caffeine can lead to dehydration, and for some people, it increases your appetite. Different surgeons have different recommendations about coffee, but here's what the experts at the ASMBS say (link):

Q: Do I need to avoid caffeine after bariatric surgery?

A: Caffeine fluids have been shown to be as good as any others for keeping you hydrated. Still, it is a good idea to avoid caffeine for at least the first thirty days after surgery while your stomach is extra sensitive. After that point, you can ask your surgeon or dietitian about resuming caffeine. Remember that caffeine often comes paired with sugary, high-calorie drinks, so be sure you're making wise beverage choices.

on 4/24/19 11:12 am
Topic: RE: Diet?

This looks like just another fad diet designed to sell protein shakes. You're much better off getting your protein and nutrients from real food, rather than processed, packaged, protein-added stuff like this.

As you said, you should get "back to basics" and eat the way you did as a new post-op. Protein-forward, low-carb. Lean, dense protein first and foremost, maybe a bite of veggie once you've had your meat.

on 4/24/19 10:09 am
Topic: RE: what to eat after you 6 week "diet"

To the OP-- for someone early on, in the weight loss phase, I would strongly advise against fruit smoothies, granola, and "small carbs" as Knitter currently eats :)

on 4/23/19 2:56 pm
Topic: RE: what to eat after you 6 week "diet"

When you say "new norm," does that mean your doctor has cleared you for all foods? Or are you still on a restricted diet? Some surgeons do a slower progression than others, so some folks may be on "soft foods" at 6 weeks out. If in doubt, check with your surgeon.

Check out the daily menu threads, both here and on the RNY board. (RNY'ers eat pretty much the same thing that we do.) People post what they eat each day and it's a good way to see "normal" for other folks.

More or less, you'll want to shoot for 600 - 800 calories, 60+ g protein, under 25g carbs. That means lean, dense protein and maybe a bite or two of veg at each meal. Your protein sources should ideally be 10g protein per 100 calories.

Examples:

• Meats cooked in a moist fashion or with some sort of sauce-- dark meat chicken, pork, ground beef, and white fish are all good choices
  • Eggs, though some folks have trouble with them at first
  • Greek yogurt
  • String cheese

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views