Screw top

AndreaA
on 10/5/05 11:06 am
I ordered futures last spring at a winery in Russian River Valley during the barrel tasting weekend. It came today-- with SCREW TOPS! I was flabbergasted. Can't give those away as a gift now. How do you feel about this controversial issue. If someone gave you a screw top wine (by the way this was not a cheap bottle), what would you think?
Marty F
on 10/6/05 2:25 am - Midcities, TX
I agree with you....I know that a lot of good wineries are looking at the screw tops...less chance of leaking and spoiling, but I don't like it!!! I love wine and there's something about the whole "experience" of removing the cork that is part of anticipation of enjoying the bottle! I would rather see the wineries going to the synthetic corks and/or putting a foil seal around the top as added protection than lowering the "quality" of the packaging with a screw top! Marty
PoohPahDoo
on 1/23/06 11:08 am - Tacoma, WA
Screw top does not mean cheap wine! But the perception out there says it does. You should maybe research it on the internet - see if you can find something where wineries are going to them - then print it out and give it with the wine. There are some arguments that it makes for a better bottle of wine.
lbsadropping
on 9/4/09 10:31 pm - Crofton, MD
Its coming and it is the future.  Cork is getting to expensive and scarce. Plastic corks are to plastic looking.  Screw tops are easy and less expensive.
I spoke with a couple of vineyard owners in MD and VA and they are going to screw caps.
The stigma will pass.  In fact many are changing the size and shape of their bottles. After all bouquet, color, taste is just the begining to the buzz, and most wine drinkers bypass the first two.
What temperture/humidity  is your wine cellar???  See what I mean??  LOL
good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Red or white?
kareninflorida · 0 replies · 279 views
Screw top
AndreaA · 3 replies · 423 views
Can we or can't we?
Ruthel E. · 14 replies · 800 views