Charlie Horse feeling in the stomach

leslielighter
on 11/28/10 12:03 am
It's easy to get medical records and they are YOURs.  You simply go into the office and verbally request them.  They may have a document request for you to sign.  If they give you a problem, you send a written request.  In most states I think they have 21 days to respond and they can charge you something like .50 cents per page for like 10 pages, then it's like .25 cents or less depending on that.  The only reason they may be difficult is that usually when one is requesting records the doc's office things they are possibly getting sued.  But in any event, by law, they have to turn over your records to you or you can have them mail them to the doctor that is requesting them.
SherylR
on 12/10/08 11:33 am - Richlands, NC
I get these cramps also...  I went to my WLS and he thought it was gall bladder related (I did have gall bladder problems at the time also) so he took out my gall bladder.  I didn't have any episodes for a while so I figured that was it.  Well about 2 months ago I started having them again, sometimes when I stretch, sometimes when I cough and sometimes when I'm doing nothing at all...  Never when I'm hungry.  My doc just looks at me strange, we've tested everything we can think of.  I had RNY lathroscopic in 2002 (so I'm over 6 years PO)...  Dunno - ugh!  Hopefully we'll figure it out.  I'll be watching this board to see if you figure out anything...

Thanks for making me feel not so crazy!  lol!

Sheryl
08/22/2002 (WLS date)
425/177/238/160 (high/low/current/goal)

"Don't count the moments but make the moments count!!"
Tammy N.
on 12/10/08 11:01 pm - Groveland, MA

Yeah 2 years in a row I ended up in the hospital with the pain so severe I couldn't sit up. They tested me for everything possible. They ran tests on my gallbladder that I had out back in 1996 and I looked at them strange. I guess they said even though you have your gallbladder out there can still be stones in the ducts or something but that checked out ok.  The first time around they did find an ulcer and the the second time around no ulcers nothing but still had the pain.  I have no clue, I think it might be something mysterious  that we just have to live with, so far I am still alive but in misery most of the time. I know it's something to do with the surgery because I never had the pains like this before. 

Tammy N.
on 12/30/08 10:09 am - Groveland, MA
Just wanted to give an update...I went to my surgeon for this pain on December 23rd.  She gave me a lecture to quit smoking that the pain will never go away until I do.  Also she gave me prevacid samples and prescription for prilosec. She told me the charlie horse type pain was probably from me pulling a muscle when I bent over and coughed.  Well I have to say the prevacid is helping, I haven't had the severe pain that I did so I must have an ulcer again.  I go back in February for my yearly followup so I will see how things go by then. 
CharlieA1
on 4/5/18 12:16 pm

Hi!! I have been looking and looking for anyone who is dealing with something like me.. well I it seems like I may have found someone. I had a little different style surgery done, mine was to remove my right ovary in 2008. And about 2 months afterwards, I remember taking a bath and sitting up, and just pain. The best way to discribe it is a Charlie horse. And it burns and hurts so badly! Eventually it's subsided. I remember it taking my breath away. I am STILL dealing with this. It happens whenever it wants to. I could just be bending over to pick something up; getting up from a chair; or even using the restroom. And of course taking a bath. It's HORRIBLE!! I have noticed that where this hurts, my stomach will suck in just a bit and then release when it subsides. And I also have the residual pain that last for days. Almost like a super sore muscles. I see my OBGYN next week, well I should say the 5th new one, in hopes they will help. I've had CT scans and nothing has showed. It seems so hopeless. I will say my ovary was suppose to be removed through my belly button and they had to remove it abdominally due to many adhesions and scar tissue. I hope to hear back from someone, anyone. Feel so alone!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/18 4:37 pm, edited 4/6/18 9:45 am

I had my surgery 10 years ago and since my first year I experience something similar to what you are describing. Possibly? If I am in the wrong angle/position to pick something up. Like in my husbands SUV and I lean forward and bend to pick up something that fell to floor or sitting/leaning on bed and Bend to tie my sneakers , I will get this horrible muscle spasm that hurts like the devil.. sometimes when doing sit-ups on floor or my decline bench can trigger it as well. It feels like my stomach is doing a somersault. If I am standing up and pick something from floor it normally does not happen the angle has to be just right. Not always certain what might trigger it. When it happens I have to stretch up real straight until the pain and muscle retracts back to normal. It will feel sore a little while, not unbearable. I would say happens once a month or less. Since almost 10 years I have learned angles I can't do like a truck or SUV seats (angle different then a car which will not trigger it if I pick something up).

I mentioned to my WLS physician assistant and she felt my stomach and did not know what it could be. I go yearly and she asks about it. She advised me to leave it alone since not often as going in exploring I could end up with a worse problem. Since it is not that often I have dismissed it as something I live with. I have not had a catscan for this particular problem but did have one 10 days out for a complication I experienced (ischemia) that was treated with antibiotics. That catscan did not show any hernia etc at that time! Who knows but I am not messing with it like she told me ! Been 10 years next month.

does this sound like what your experiencing?

Edited to add you don't mention when or what type WLS you had??

Skkyla
on 9/20/18 6:59 pm

I have the exact thing as stated in this thread. Dealing with it two years. If sitting in car and bed to get something triggers charlie horse attach on my right side. Cant tie shoes without preparing to angle my self to ensure i dont trigger a spell. I increased intake of green leafy stuff and veggies of color and reduce alcohol to maybe 3 drinks a month. Reach magnesium deficiency maybe or too much alcohol. one year later..dont think it neither one of them issues. I do have DDD and moderate stenosis of c6,7 so that affects arm muscles. Maybe it stomach now too.

carynmoss
on 2/16/09 8:27 pm, edited 2/16/09 8:28 pm - buffalo grove, CA
I get them too the docs never can figure it out.
all over. full attacks.  so bad I want to call 911
they usually start in a calf, then as I'm dealing with that one it starts in the other one, then may start anywhere else, sometimes in my arms or hands, just lately in my stomach when I sit up wrong, or even  my entire body goes into a full on attack. 
It's a sudden attack although I have learned how to sense when its coming on.
certain things I do sets it off.
stretching in the morning
wearing boots or high heals
using muscles that I don't use regularly
I also find that during these attacks I have to pass gas.
there have also been times when on the onset of one of these attacks I become somewhat disorientated, a bit out of myself, sometimes dizzy, & sometimes start sweating profusely too.
So anyways, I personally know it has something to do with my surgery.
my doctors are all idiots & have been trying to figure it out for 3 years,
The doc that performed the surgery, well he just knows how to get it done, not much about what to do once it is.
so if anyone knows what this can be please hit me up.
Caryn Moss
818-559-9717
[email protected]
Caryn Moss
Moss Entertainment
[email protected]
818-559-9717 818-266-7127

nikisaletta.com
jubala.com
apple888
on 6/23/09 2:24 am - Columbus, OH
 Wow. I just happened to google the question about the spasms and decided to join this website group, don't know why I didn't do it sooner!  I really appreciate reading all the replies, I, too, thought I was nuts and I work in an ER, my partner is a nurse and everyone just seems to blow it off.  It is the oddest thing.  The spasm seems to be near the surgery site, mine is also under the right breast but in the last few months has sometimes spread across the upper abdomen.  It comes and goes, mostly seems associated with bending a certain way, coughing, sneezing, sometimes it doesn't seem to be related to anything, it just happens!  I have to push my back a certain way, stretch or stand up, eventually it subsides.  My bloodwork levels are all fine.  I haven't had any plastic surgery and would like to, but of course money / insurance issues and my partner doesn't want me to due to risk (medical professionals are the worst related to this!)  I don't have a huge amount of skin, but there is enough still causing rolls in the front (my surgery was 2001, was 320 and now hover at 180 most of the time), so maybe it's connected to that?  I have no clue and the medical profession seems at a loss, all tests are fine.  Thanks  so much for the postings, it really helps me feel less alone and verifies that, yes, this does really happen, we all can't be wrong or imagining something!!
leslielighter
on 11/28/10 12:11 am
WOW!  I too just joined this site because I googled "Charlie Horse pain in stomach" and I landed here and read.  I have been thinking for the last year that I possibly had the return of some hernias which I had repaired post surgery.  Teflon mesh was placed in my stomach and I thought it was related to that.  

As far as the cramping in legs, folks, or bad restless legs syndrom,  I also had this condition coupled with intolerance to cold, I was freezing in 80 degree farenheit temps.  Coincidentally, at that time I had an appointment with my GYN who I didn't mention this to.  They routinely checked my blood - asked me if I was ever anemic.  Responded no.  They retested and said that my RBC was extremely low.   They sent me to a a hematologist/oncologist who said I had the 2nd worst case of anemia he had ever seen.   Anyway, I had to return and have a bag of Iron hung, took all day long and within 24 hours the horrible restless legs went away as well as the leg cramps. 

Now, if we can figure out the stomach pains, that would be awesome.  Never even thought of a vitamin or mineral deficiency...Thanks folks!
Most Active
Recent Topics