After surgery exercise help???

angella220
on 4/5/11 1:47 am - TX
My surgery is tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anyone knows of great exercises that will help minimize the amount of excess skin left. Any ideas?
Kim S.
on 4/5/11 1:56 am - Helena, AL
I can only speak from experience.  I was 324 lbs when I had my surgery and I started exercising 6 months before surgery, cardio and weight training.  I still to this day workout 5-6 times a week, running, hiking, P90X and yoga.

I do not have big excess skin issues.  Yes, I have some on my upper arms, abs, and thighs.  It does not bother me enough to want plastics.  My stomach doesn't "hang" down....it is just like jello on top of my muscles.  I have great muscle tone and my arms look toned (yes, you can see the extra skin if I hold my arm out to the side and wiggle it).

How your skin will look depends on many factors:  age, overall amount of weight loss, how you carry your weight, genetics.....just to name a few.  However, exercise is required anyway in your new lifestyle and your skin will "drape" better over nicely defined muscles.  Plus the muscles will make you burn more fuel to keep the body running.

Bottom line:  you cannot go wrong by starting a combination weight training/cardio workout plan as soon as your doctor allows it.

I wish you the best on your journey!

Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics