Reflections since 2005 RNY + Severe Iron Deficency Anemia Due to RNY -

stayceX
on 6/17/11 12:41 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey Grads - 
I'm searching for answers on how to fight severe iron deficency anemia due to my RNY WLS from 2005.   It seems to be a common thing amongst us grads that are 5 plus years out so was hoping to find some answers over here..  My D as well is low but that is now under control with a high dose weekly RX.  I have used all the high quality Bariatric Advantage supplements all these years and consistenly which I love but even with iron chews, eating red meat, eating iron rich foods  =useless. My body will not store or process iron anymore.

A  few months ago I started to see a hematologist.   My first treatment was an IV Feraheme shot. Good stuff as far as getting my levels halfway to normal but it really is only approved for people with chonic kidney disease which I don't have thank god.  Insurance would not continue to approve it. As follow up, a few weeks later, I had IV Venofer Iron Infusion treatment.  I was pre-medicated with steroids and benadryl because I had an anaphalactic reaction to the Feraheme.  Well same thing happened with the venofer but even worse.  I ended up in the ER for several hours under observation and rebound reactions even with being pre-medicated and saved with epinephrine.    Very scary.  Throat swelled very fast and had major trouble breathing.  On the plus side I did get back up to normal values again after that dose.  However, I was warned by my doctor that I may need to have iron infusions the rest of my life and that next time he will probably want to do it inpatient due to the allergic reactions.

Had my labs done this week. Total bummer.  I'm only at 9% saturation and my levels are going south again. He wants me to wait a full 4-6 weeks before they admit me and try again. I guess he feels the risks do not outweigh the benefits and he wants to wait until  until I am worse and fully anemic for a while.  Either way I go it really messes up my system and takes me a while to recover and feel good again. 

An old friend of mine mentioned trying a product by Metagenics called Glutagenics that coats your digestive tract (or in our case what is left of it) and helps you absorb iron. It has glutamine, aloe, and icorice in it.  Has anyone tired this or anything else that has helped them that has had the RNY or other more invasive weight loss surgery to combat anemia?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading and for any feedback in advance!
Stacy

Kim S.
on 6/17/11 6:41 am - Helena, AL
You may want to cross post this on the RNY forum...this one is fairly quiet.

Not the Same Dawn
on 6/17/11 7:03 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
Thank you so much for the heads up! I'm 5 years out now too.

Vitalady has tender iron that is well received by our rearranged innards..

I've watched my iron levels like a hawk from the get go and any levels that go down, even within normal ranges are adjusted..I have my labs done every six months too..

Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
cajungirl
on 6/21/11 8:26 am
Hi Stacy, I remember you.

Another 2005 here, just completed the third of five Venefor IV infusion pushes today.  I have never had iron deficiency issues until now.  My ferritin and iron sat dropped 50% from December to May.

We will see where this goes.  I'm taking Proferrin iron (I order mine from vitalady).  It's a heme-iron, easy to absorb and doesn't interfer with calcium and I can take it without waiting 2 hours after my coffee.

I'm interested and seeing how all this works out for you.  My PCP is going to do an iron panel after the infusions to see where my numbers land.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

stayceX
on 6/21/11 12:01 pm - Baltimore, MD
On June 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, cajungirl wrote:
Hi Stacy, I remember you.

Another 2005 here, just completed the third of five Venefor IV infusion pushes today.  I have never had iron deficiency issues until now.  My ferritin and iron sat dropped 50% from December to May.

We will see where this goes.  I'm taking Proferrin iron (I order mine from vitalady).  It's a heme-iron, easy to absorb and doesn't interfer with calcium and I can take it without waiting 2 hours after my coffee.

I'm interested and seeing how all this works out for you.  My PCP is going to do an iron panel after the infusions to see where my numbers land.
Thanks for all the replies.

Well hello there cajun =)  My sat is at 9% and continues to drop.  Had my period this week and I am lucky if I have any iron at all left in me.  I have doubts if its even worth it to use iron chews or supplements since it seems like my body doesn't want to hold on to it.  Seems like a waste of money.  I guess I can try the vitalady proferrin..  I'll try anything.   I always took the BA iron before bed and not anywhere close to calcium so I don't think that is the issue but it is good to know that you don't need to worry about it with the proferrin.    My hematologist said I will probably need the infusions for the rest of my life.  I just can't imagine having to go through that every few months especially with such severe allergic reactions.  To have to go inpatient for it too.. arrrrgh so nuts.  We must have some more options out there.  Have you stayed in touch with your WLS surgeon?  Just wondering if the surgeons that are actually stil working with there patients 5p plus years out still have come up with any other solutions.  I guess I should check in with him or his nurse as well.
catje1977
on 6/24/11 4:19 pm - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

maybe a period related suggestion: i do not know if you use any birth control but you could switch to the Mirena IUD. In MOST women it stops periods all together or at least greatly diminishes it. So less blood loss is better for you probably. Don't know if this helps or not.

also I heard lots of good about those tender iron thingies so if you haven't tried them yet, give them a go, from vitalady. They seem to be one of the best

GOOD LUCK!

but: as for the rest of it: how are you doing and feeling 5 yrs post op? still doing OK? or do you regret it now due to your iron issues?

if you have any tips for longterm success, iam DYING to hear them :-)

greetz from Holland

Cat

Most Active
Recent Topics