anybody 5yrs+ out? do you still eat the same as the beginning?

tina01
on 2/21/13 5:28 am - Wilmington, DE

Who still drinks protein drinks daily?  Eats sugar free stuff?  Drinks alcohol?  Just wondering if anyone really still does all the stuff we did in the early stages.  If we are being honest.. I don't.  The only thing I still do is not drink when I eat.

Please feel free to share if you are comfortable.

PS.. I was looking for the 5 day pouch jump start diet.  Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks all!

cajungirl
on 2/21/13 5:50 am

I'll answer:

I still do protein shakes when I have a small pouch day and can't eat much.

I do do S/F but I do full sugar too, just in small quantities.

Yes I will drink an alcoholic drink, I don't do it often (about 3-4 times a year) but know my limit.

Still no drinking with meals and 30 minutes after.  I still take my vitamins (although I'm not perfect).

The 5 day pouch test can be found http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

jlmartin
on 2/21/13 6:21 am - Random Lake, WI

No protein shakes.  I'm easily 60+ grams of protein from food.

I use Truvia and also eat and bake items with sugar.

I have my two glasses of red wine with dinner...it's medicinal!  broken heart

Once you are maintaining, if the weight is good and the labs are good, it's hard to argue with any eating style.

oceanwoodsangel
on 2/21/13 7:55 am

I still have 2 and sometimes 3 protein drinks a day.  I have remained consistent with vitamins, I watch my labs and take vitamins 3 times a day.  I rarely drink alcohol, but have a glass of wine here and there.  I don't drink with meals.  I eat frequent small meals, and keep the protein, vegetable and fruit rule.  I stay sugar free, but can have some sugar.  But I still dump,  so I watch it.  I like my dark chocolate and have some everyday.  I figure it into my calories and keep it low.  I have found my taste is different now, so foods I once enjoyed I don't like now. I also watch my portions carefully.

MackenzieLee
on 2/22/13 6:09 am

Hello!

I'm at 4 years post surgery. My surgeon never had me drinking protein shakes, so I don't drink those. Since the surgery I became a pescatarian (eating no meat, except fish). My tastes have just changed... and I can't stomach eating meat anymore.

I watch very carefully my sugar intake. I get dumping syndrome if I do eat too much, plus, I just don't like the sweet taste anymore. I drink coffee without any sugar now (or substitutes) and I only have a couple of small pieces of dark chocolate if I REALLY want some chocolate.  

I still eat slow and with small portions (something that I must do, or else be sick). I also try to drink as much water as possible, but sometimes I drink when I eat... but try not too!

My entire life has changed because of this surgery... my lifestyle has changed for the better and these things have helped me to maintain my weightloss. My surgeon scared me... he said 30% of people gain back their lost weight. I don't want to be one of those, so I try to follow the guidelines as much as possible.

avidreader
on 2/23/13 9:21 am - Cary, NC

5 years out in March and I prefer drinking my protein to eating it.  I usually have several protein coffees, a salad at lunch with chicken or turkey or ham, and a huge protein shake for dinner.  I take all my vitamins religiously, have a follow up visit at least once a year with my surgeon, still follow the no drinking with meals rule and do not drink alcohol (but I didn't before surgery, either).  I can eat anything without getting sick (except fried food which I tried once and got sick).  I still have great restriction - and I find if I eat bread or carbs I get so bloated I can't stand it, so I really try to avoid bread, pasta, etc.  I do use truvia, other artificial sweeteners and sugar free stuff, probably too much if the truth be told.  I think if you google search the pouch test you will find the website.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/13 10:14 pm
I am almost 5 years out. I still follow the plan. I do that to maintain and also to make sure I get enough proteins. I occasionally drink alcohol but try not too often. On days I can't eat enough I would drink protein shakes. No sugar or very low sugar is my staple. I developed severe RH and to control it I had to eliminate most starchy carbs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Shelia J.
on 2/24/13 12:19 am - Norfolk, VA

I will be 13 years post-op on 4/4/2013, and I will be excruciatingly honest.  I started at 344 lbs, and at my lowest, 167 lbs.  Since my surgery, I have gone through many changes in my life, major to minor.  I started out being what my doc would call "perfect".  I now have one of his partners following me as my original doc does not do gastric bypasses anymore and has gone back to general surgery.  I saw my new doc last May weighing in at 211 lbs., had an upper GI, and an EGD to check for any abnormalities with my pouch as I can definitely eat MUCH more than when I started.

Well, there was no staple line disruption, the pouch was still small (started with a 40cc pouch), but the stoma was larger than in the beginning allowing food to pass through easier and fullness to last a shorter period.  This problem is compounded if I drink  fluids immediately before, during and right after meals.  Needless to say, I was given the spiel about what I needed to do and surprisingly, my doc was very satisfied that I had maintained so much of my original wt. loss for such a long period.  He told me that in all his yrs of doing these surgeries, most people "stabilize" into a comfortable wt which is largely dictated by genetics, hence the reason for some re-gain, but I could go back to the basics and use my "tool" for it's intended purpose.

What I want to be honest about is the fact that I had been drinking with meals, eating ANYTHING I wanted without regard to the consequences, including sugar, sodas and high fat foods.  I had gradually started eating myself back up to where I started.  I had protein shakes just sitting on my kitchen counter but neglected to use them even though I have found, in my experience, that they really do eliminate my carb cravings almost entirely if I use them consistently.  As far as alcohol, I was never a drinker and still don't drink.

I have found it is very easy to become complacent after this surgery.  You feel and look better, and if you're not very careful you can and will begin to backslide, unraveling all the successes you made getting to your goals.  I am in no way trying to lecture anyone.  I am only presenting my personal experiences in case someone out there is finding themselves in the same boat, and I know for a fact that I am not alone.

I have stopped drinking with meals, and immediately before/after meals.  I am still not where I want to be with my weight, but I  still have not "put the pedal to the metal", if you will.  I tell myself every day, "you will start over today", and even checked out the 5 day pouch test site.  I will start that on Tuesday (never did care for that Monday diet thing :)  When I see my doc this coming May, I intend to be well under 200 lbs.

Good health and good luck to all!

Melanie S.
on 2/25/13 4:27 am - Midlothian, TX

I was bad about protein drinks when I was a newbie.  I eat a lot of meat so hopefully I am good there.  I do sugar occasionally, sometimes I am fine and sometimes I dump (there is no rhyme or reason to it.  I also drink with my meals.  I try not to but it's a habit that I have never really broken (except when I was new). 

Don 1962
on 3/2/13 5:43 am

Five years next month for me.

Never a fan of the shakes but still will do at least one Hi-Pro Protein bar a day.  Most of my protein is meat, cheese or bean based.  In a pinch give me refried beans - but stand back after you do!! kiss Unfortunately my grazing is on what I call "crack in a sack".  AKA:  peanut M&M trail mix.  When I see the scales creeping back up means I have to put it back in the pantry till I'm back at my number on the scales.  Admit it to drinking with meals when I'm out but better at not doing it when I'm at home.  Still keep SF popsicles in the freezer.  No sugar with coffee or tea and might snitch a taste off of a soft drink from time to time.  For the most part still stick to the basics about eating and drinking plus on the treadmill pretty regular still too.  Guess you can say I try and "live" right. laugh

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics