Jennifer K.’s Posts

Jennifer K.
on 6/20/23 4:58 am
Topic: RE: 17 years!

Good morning all. 17 years ago today I was starting on a life changing journey. When I went for my surgery consult I was at my heaviest - 288lbs, currently I am now 135lbs. It took hard work and dedication to not only lose the weight but to maintain the weight loss for all these years. I eat healthy, workout and take care of myself inside and out. I get a physical annually and still take my vits/sups every day :-)

I am loving this life and so glad I made the decision to have surgery and be successful at it.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 4/28/21 10:03 am
Topic: RE: Post Iron Infusion Dizziness

Question: Has anybody experience delayed side effects from iron infusion? Or any change in symptoms after having a transfusion?

Background: I had my first iron infusion 4/15 due to low ferritin. I have been struggling with this since August and have been under doctors care, she had me triple my oral iron with very little success. I had no side effects after the first iron infusion - I saw maybe a 10-15% improvement in how I was feeling and was still experiencing dizziness, lethargy and low energy levels. I had my 2nd infusion this past Thursday 4/22, no side effects at the time. With this infusion I am seeing a 50-60% improvement so far in dizziness, lethargy and energy levels.

Last night I wa**** with extreme dizziness, I laid down and went to bed. Slept fine, felt fine when I woke up and when I went to get out of bed I felt like I was drunk. I was very dizzy, uncoordinated and foggy. Best I can equate it to is if you stayed up late drinking and woke up and was still under the influence. I called and spoke with the on-call Dr and he said this would be a very delayed response to the iron and felt its something else, referring me back to my PCP. I am currently awaiting a call back from my primary. Ive been awake for 5 hours now and most of the symptoms have subsided but I still feel "weird" and "off", again kind of like when you are hungover and your equilibrium is off and have brain fog.

TIA for any feedback.

Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 3/30/21 9:24 am
Topic: RE: Low Ferritin - 15 years post-op

Has anybody experienced low ferritin that is 5 years out or further from surgery?

I've been taking my vits/supps daily since surgery, get blood work annually and until two years ago have not had an ongoing issue with iron until now. My last physical in 2019 it was low, they had me add additional iron, did a recheck at 90 days it was improved, reduced the iron, did a recheck at 6 months and all was fine. I stopped the additional iron at that point (my multi has iron). My 2020 physical in August it was extremely low, I had been feeling sluggish, tired and issues with dizziness and that was attributed to the low ferritin. The dr had me taking iron 2 times a day on top of the multi, recheck at 90 days and it improved slightly, she then switched to 3 times a day, another recheck 90 days later (6 months) and it was slightly improved, she had me start tapering down the iron, recheck again in 90 days (9 months) and it was low so they sent me for an endo/colonscopy. Just had a follow up with the GI who said both tests came back fine as well as biopsies and they have no answer as to why and are chalking it up to the gastric bypass. She suggested I go back to the triple iron. They are looking into the cost locally of iron infusions and stated it would be a complete out of pocket cost because insurance will not cover since I am not considered anemic since its only the ferritin that is low.

Looking to see if anybody has had a similar experience and what the reason/treatment path was they followed.

Thanks!

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/17/20 6:37 am
Topic: RE: Low Iron at 14 years out

Thanks for responding! The b12 injection should make you feel amazing!
I get an iron recheck in two weeks then they will decide next steps. I am hopeful I won't need an infusion and interested to see if my iron is going back up with the additional supplements what that means moving forward.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 9/10/20 8:56 am
Topic: RE: Low Iron at 14 years out

Hi All,

I wanted to see if anybody had issues with low iron later in their weight loss journey? My annual blood work has always been spot on until last year and this year I came back with severely low iron. I have taken BA Multi w/iron for 14 years now. Last year the Dr had me add additional iron for a few months and everything returned to normal. I am again adding additional iron and will get a recheck in 2 months. I am wondering at this point if I will have to continue to take additional iron to keep my levels up? Or if I need to look at a different iron supplement instead? There is nothing medically indicating why my iron is dropping so low currently.

Thanks

Jennifer

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 8/11/19 2:48 pm
Topic: RE: 13 years and counting

I crossposted on multiple boards ?

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 8/8/19 7:56 am
Topic: RE: 13 years and counting

In June I hit my 13 year surgery anniversary and didnt get around to posting until now :-)

I am doing great... I have kept up with my vits/supps and still get annual bloodwork. Over the past year + I have really started to focus on my diet and exercise and took up biking. I ride 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day and mix in yoga and weights as well as moved to a vegetable heavy diet still making sure I get my protein. I am in the best shape of my life and feel amazing. I am down to 135lbs from the 145lbs I was for many years and have seen a lot of positive changes in my body since focusing diet and exercise.

I hope everybody is doing well on their journeys!

~Jennifer

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 6/6/18 9:23 am
Topic: RE: 12 years!

Good morning all! Today marks 12 years since my RNY surgery! I am happier and healthier than I have ever been. It has been a completely amazing experience and crazy when I look back at how far I've come over these 12 years. I am hoping this year to get a leg lift and that will complete my transformation. I am still conscious of what I eat, take my vitamins/supps EVERY day, get annual physicals, had a bone dentist at 10 years out and exercise at least a few times a week if not more. As of this morning I am at 143 pounds which is the lightest I have been since middle school. I moved to Arizona back in January and have been even more active because of all the amazing outdoor activities here. I hope everybody is doing well on their own journeys!

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/12/15 11:21 am
Topic: RE: overworked and needing advice!!!

I work a lot as well and find that pre-planning is how to keep myself under control. I try and cook and container my meals and pre-contain snacks so I can grab and go in the morning. At wor****ep healthy snacks in my desk and a few things in the work fridge/freezer as a back up if I need lunch or a snack.

I would check out the 21 day fix... basically its a "clean eating" plan where you container your foods... I like it because overall its easy and it didn't take a lot of time to container the foods and put together meals. I didn't buy their containers but went to wal mart and bought other colored containers in the sizes they said... since you put foods based on the size of the container you don't have to measure then package.. its a one and done.

Exercise is always key.. I know its hard when you work like crazy. I work 2 jobs.. my m-f job I have been averaging 50-55 hours then I work a part-time job which is Fridays 8p-3a and Saturdays 7p-3a.. sometimes I work only one night, sometimes both nights. When I can I still try and get in some form of exercise.. even if its walking during my lunch break at my main job. I am not one that can wake up earlier to work out so I will try and at least get in 20 minutes after work if I can.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/12/15 11:14 am
Topic: RE: Calories at Maintenance

I went to my local YMCA and had a resting and exertion metabolism test done.. its been a while but at the time it cost around $125. It will tell you exactly the calories your body needs to maintain weight, gain weight or lose weight. 900-1000 calories is very low IMO especially if you are working out.

I am 5'8" 145lbs and eat around 1200-1400 calories depending.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 7/28/15 8:05 am
Topic: RE: 9 years!

I am fine w/both... I don't drink milk anymore, if I had in the morning it would make me sick.. but that was even pre-surgery... I use almond milk now. Most of my dairy comes in the form of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurts which I am fine w. I can tolerate alcohol fine but have cut back on it quite a bit.. sticking mainly to beer/wine, the liquor hits me way too hard.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 7/27/15 11:03 am

I try and follow a "clean eating' diet... staying away from pre-packaged/pre-boxed foods and making things from scratch as much as possible. I only buy uncured meats, mainly organic meats and veggies and get my eggs locally. I recently moved and previously I grew a majority of veggies on my patio garden.. this year I have a friend growing some things for me in her garden. I try and limit eating out to once a week, maybe twice and I still buy some "junk" foods but try and only eat them a few times a month. I will say I eat pizza once a week.. I loooooooooove pizza... good greasy NY style pizza (lol). I try and stay away from fast food as well, I will eat now and then, typically chikfila and do their grilled chicken or grilled chicken salad. My goal was to try and eat "normally" and be healthy and balanced.. I never wanted to say something was off limits but wanted to learn how to have a balance and still have treats etc so I didn't feel deprived or denied etc. On Sunday's I spend time preparing some foods/snacks and putting them in smaller containers so when I make my lunch in the morning I can just grab and go, or if I want a snack its quick and easy... I find putting time in on Sunday preparing things for the week makes it easier to make healthy choice instead of a convenient choice.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 6/8/15 12:54 pm

On 6/20 I will be 9 years out from RNY. I am happy to report I have maintained my weight loss and all my labs look great except for low vitamin D which is getting rechecked next week. I attribute my success to going into this surgery thinking is was my last resort (9 years ago there are not the options there are today), and that I HAD to make it work. I spent a lot of time and effort working on my personal issues as well as learning everything I could about nutrition and over the past few years growing my own organic food, buying local and making things from scratch instead of buying a things pre-boxed/bagged/pre-made etc. I do eat out and try to do so only once a week, I do allow myself treats and I do love my carbs. For me, it was all about balance.

Next month I am 1 year out from my BA/BL and arm lift... I did have to get scar revision some on the arm lift which I am 2 months out from now and healing up nicely. I am hoping to get a thigh lift next year and my journey will be "complete".

I don't feel or look anything like the person I was 9 years ago. I will never forget where I came from because I do not want to go back but do feel very disconnected from the person I was. I am so happy to have accomplished so much these past 9 years and look forward to what the future brings!

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 5/26/15 12:25 pm
Topic: RE: I never thought this would happen to me

If your surgeon had good support options, I would reach back for those. Mine still has a twice monthly support group as well as an on staff nutritionist. A good way to get back at it is to "start with the basics".

24lbs is very doable... you lost much more before that. You realize there is an issue (step 1), you are admitting it (step 2) and asking for help (step 3)... so you are well on your way.

I lost my appetite for quite some time, it is back but not near anything close to it was pre-op. For the first 2 years post-op I trained myself to eat three meals three snacks a day (that's *my* plan, doesn't work for everybody! to each their own)... that's how I got the protein/calories etc I needed.. now I stick to it for the most part.. my body is "trained" to get hungry certain times of day.. sometimes I don't need a snack, so I don't eat it. Sometimes I want a snack, then another snack.. Ill eat it. I weighed daily for for 7 years give or take, now I can "feel" how much I weight and still jump on the scale to keep myself in check... if I start noticing pants getting tight I know I need to reel in the eating and be more diligent about exercise etc.

You can turn this around still, I hope you do! Good luck to you! :-)

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 5/26/15 12:17 pm
Topic: RE: Great tool-but not a magic one!

I will be nine years out next month. Having surgery 9 years ago there were not a lot of options... for me surgery was the "last" choice I had to lose weight and get healthy.. I dieted, I exercised, I did therapy, tried medications etc etc etc.... I went into surgery with the thought of if this doesn't work, I have no other options... so I WILL make this work. I WILL lose weight and do what I need in order to be successful. Going in I had friends who had surgery before me, some successful some not... I learned from both of them... the do's and don'ts if you will. I never set a large goal for myself... just mini-goals I could reach, celebrate and keep motivated by.. reached one goal, set another.. this kept from being disappointed... I only saw de-motivation by setting a goal like losing 10lbs in a month or being at goal weight in 8 months etc.. those were not realistic to me and seemed so far off in the future I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Set yourself mini-goals and work out a rewards system... the goals shouldn't all be scale related... they can be anything from losing inches, logging your food for a week, running a mile, doing something you couldn't/wouldn't do pre-op etc.... then reward yourself with non-food rewards.. massage, new shirt, even simply acknowledging you set at goal and achieved it can be enough.

It is a lot of work, but think putting in a year or two of work you will enjoy the benefits a thousand times over for many many years to come. For the first two years post-op I went thru working on losing the weight, weighing/measuring food, working out, learning how to eat properly, learning about nutrition, working on my personal issues.. then it moved to learning how to maintain the weight loss in the long term and settling into normal life. That two years seems like it was another lifetime to me... doing what I need to do now is second nature... its how I live my life daily.. I don't have to think about it any more... so two years of work, so far, has given me 7 years of being healthy and happy.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 3/18/15 10:00 pm
Topic: RE: SODA??

I was not planning on it. I have never been, have you?

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 3/18/15 4:34 am
Topic: RE: SODA??

I will be 9 years this year, I drink carbonated drinks... no it didn't stretch my pouch out :-)

I do some soda, mainly sparkling waters/soda water.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 2/26/15 4:19 am
Topic: RE: One year out and I have a question about food going forward

I don't restrict anything and just stick to eating "healthy"... I aim for my lean proteins, fiber, veggies, fruits and whole grains.. but of course still white carbs/junky foods.. for me the key is moderation and not getting out of control.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 2/26/15 4:12 am
Topic: RE: How much should I be able to eat at a single sitting? 8 yrs out

Id say I eat 1/2 a typical restaurant sized meal... I don't weigh/measure any more so its hard to say.. also depends on what I am eating how quickly I will get full. I feel I eat "normal" compared to most people.. however if I eat around somebody who doesn't know I had WLS they usually comment at how little I eat.. or how I only eat 1/2 etc. I like feeling satisfied more than I like feeling full... to me when I fell full its usually over full and not comfortable..

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 1/22/15 11:21 pm
Topic: RE: Had Surgery in 2009 and Best Vitamins to take-You won't believe it..http://images.obesityhelp.com/_s

My Dr does a full panel every time and tests for everything us bariatric patients need to be checked on.. not just the stuff "normal" people need. I have made a few adjustments over time to account if anything is low and get re-checked again. I also keep up with the research and re-check my numbers after she has checked and written her notes for me. She deals with a lot of bariatric patients herself so she stays up on the latest. I know that not all surgeons perform the RNY the same way or bypass the same amount of intestines which can account for different needs for different people. My friend had the same surgeon and she is 11 years out without any issues.

I will definitely ask him next time I see him and see if he has any former patients experiencing issues. I keep in contact with the bariatric coordinator for our local hospital on a regular basis and will ask her as well, she has not mentioned anything and we talk a few times a month.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 1/21/15 5:09 am
Topic: RE: Unhappy with personal appearance.

Accepting the post-WLS body is not easy... you had to deal with being overweight, did something about it.. worked hard lost weight and now you have all this skin to live with. I felt it was unfair.. I wanted to be "normal" and not worry about flapping arms and sagging belly. Its not easy to come to terms with but my feeling was Id rather deal with the excess skin then dealing with being overweight and all that came with it. We are much harder on ourselves than others... I know you don't like the flapping skin but I am sure your husband doesn't feel the same way you do.. I would definitely recommend finding somebody to speak with to help you accept your post-WLS and learn to be proud of all you have accomplished losing weight.  

I have worked a 2nd job since right after surgery and saved up to have PS.. wish I had started sooner. 3 years ago I had an extended TT, this past July I had a BA/BL and arm lift.... next year (hopefully) will be surgery on my legs.... I will say it has 110% made such a difference in how I feel about myself and my self esteem... the TT gave me a little, but the BA/BL and arm lift have shot me thru the roof... work working 50-60 hours a week for so long.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 1/21/15 5:04 am
Topic: RE: Had Surgery in 2009 and Best Vitamins to take-You won't believe it..http://images.obesityhelp.com/_s

I had surgery 2007, I take 2 flinstones every day and never am low on anything :-)

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/27/14 1:27 am
Topic: RE: Hungry all the time

I suggest getting away from protein shakes and eating real food. Shakes are liquid and are not going to fill you up. I am not a fan, my opinion of course, some people use/like them.

I would get back to basics.. start food logging again and make sure you are eating enough, eat your 3 meals a day, 3 meals 2 snacks, 6 small meals.. whatever worked for you previously. Meals should be lean protein, vegetables, carb.. you can buy a plate to help you measure portion sizes (usually sold for diabetics, they are not expensive). If you need help with food ideas check out any low glycemic index diet.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/8/14 1:19 am
Topic: RE: Have you lost Hair and Have excess Skin?

It is hard to accept the post-WLS body... I reached a point where I felt it wasnt "fair" that I started gaining weight in 8th grade and was overweight thru HS, but did all this work to lose weight and was stuck with excess skin. Still, I would much rather deal with the excess skin then go back to being overweight. My suggestion is start saving for plastic surgery now and save as much as you can. I wish I had started much sooner. I am 8 years post-op. November I am 3 years post extended-TT and as of last week 3 months post BA/BL and arm lift. 

I never experienced much hair loss, I was 110% compliant with getting in protein and took biotin.

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 10/8/14 1:08 am
Topic: RE: How many calories at 5 years post op??

The best thing is to get a metabolism test. I had one at the YMCA for $125 and it will tell you how many calories to gain weight, lose weight and maintain weight. .

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active
Recent Topics