New to forum and WLS - 25 years old and interested in VSG

aamber02
on 7/5/13 11:15 am

Hi,
 I didn't even realize there was a 20's board! I'm 25 years old and at the beginning of my WLS journey, I've spent hours researching and contemplating and have decided I would like to get a sleeve. I have been overweight my entire life, and honestly I feel like I've kind of rocked the 'big girl' thing, but it's gotten to the point that I'm an obese, out of shape, out of control girl..not just the funny/sassy big girl I like to portray myself as.

I hit 300lbs and that was really eye opening for me. I have a heart condition (non weight related) and know that the extra weight isn't helping. I feel uncomfortable in my own body and feel very hopeless about changing anything on my own. I have an appointment with my doctor next Thursday but don't feel confident in getting a referral from her as she has told me many times before 'less calories, more exercise', as if it was as easy as it sounded and I didn't have a problem with controlling what I eat.

Anyways, HI! Thank you for all you past posts, they've really helped me so far.

Amber

M. Nguyen
on 7/16/13 11:25 am - TX

Hi amber!!! welcome to this forum! I had my sleeve done at 23 and i lost 165lbs total. I'm almost 3 years out and life couldn't be any better! I totally get your drift. You're ready to live life the way you want to and its almost here! When is your surgery date? I'm super excited for you! 

sunny_disposition
on 7/25/13 10:29 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

Hi! 

I had my sleeve done when I was 22 (23 now) and am 2 days shy of my six month mark.  I've done the big girl thing too, and 114 pounds later, let me tell ya, you can still be funny and sassy!  No shame in wanting to improve your health!  Congrats in taking the first step and meeting with your doctor.  If your doc won't give you a referral, contact your insurance agency, and see if they can point you in the right direction for your next step.  My insurance company didn't cover it at all, so I had to self-pay.  However, once I knew what my situation was, I was able to proceed accordingly.  Best of luck you Amber!

Dana1411
on 6/1/16 6:01 am

Hi Amber. I know your post is old. I was wondering how you were doing now? Did you experience any loose skin? Did you reach your goal weight? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 445 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2174 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4086 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6644 views