Vitamins

PicklePopSickles
on 9/27/12 4:11 am
I am still unsure of which surgery I will have.  Can anybody give me an idea of how much these monthly vitamins cost?  My doctor says it's about $100 a month.
Bob S.
on 9/29/12 3:28 am - TN
 I selected the sleeve surgery because it didn't reroute my guts and affect absorption.  Since surgery, blood work has been done four times in the past 14 months.  Each time they checked my vitamin levels and I didn't need anything but D3 400mg per day.  Once they suggest I take a B12 shot weekly but I didn't see any benefit so I stopped.

I will take a multi vitamin daily....most days.

There are others that do take lots of vitamins.  I didn't want the others surgeries because of the absorption issues.

Hope that helps.

KatMom
on 10/6/12 11:44 pm
RNY on 07/24/12
I had the RNY 11 weeks ago and am happy about it. I've lost a total of 72 lbs. No problems or issues with it yet. The monthly vitamins can all be bought at the local pharmacy or Walmarts, Kmarts etc and are not expensive at all. I guess some folk buy the online stuff or the organic stuff? ...but my surgeon's office said it is all a personal preference.

Good luck with your decision and I wish you well!!!
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

velma001
on 6/4/13 3:07 am - Tustin, CA

It is beneficial to be as healthy as possible and nutritionally maximized prior to surgery to support optimal healing. While several vitamins, minerals and amino acids are used during healing, there are specific ones that are known to specifically to support the normal response to healing, and to support the normal immune system response to infection.Vitamin C: Necessary to build and rebuild collagen throughout the body. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune response.VitaminA: Supports immune system functioning and aids collagen strength. Also required for bone development.Zinc: An essential trace mineral used in enzymatic reactions involved in tissue and wound healing, regeneration and repair.Vitamin K: Aids the natural blood clotting response and is important for bone health.B-Vitamins: Cellular metabolism, tissue repair and immune support.Vitamin D & Calcium: Important for bone health.Magnesium: Mineral involved in approximately 300 biochemical reactions.Amino Acids (L-Arginine, L-Glutamine): Two key amino acids for wound repair and immune function.

Laccygurl
on 8/5/13 4:44 pm - Paso Robles, CA
I take the Opti Sorce vitiams from walgreens it like 34$ for a month supply, I also take Boiten 5000 mg, get that at cvs and its $10, for a two month supply. Hope that helps.

Laurie
PetHairMagnet
on 10/31/13 10:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On September 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM Pacific Time, PicklePopSickles wrote:
I am still unsure of which surgery I will have.  Can anybody give me an idea of how much these monthly vitamins cost?  My doctor says it's about $100 a month.
My husband and I buy Celebrate vitamins and TOGETHER they barely run 100 every other month. So 25 a month each.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/13 8:58 pm, edited 11/6/13 4:53 am
Long term - I am over 5years post op RNY - my monthly vitamin cost is 100 or more. That initially was much less but as deficiencies developed - I needed to add this or that to get not only normal values - but rather optimal for me. ;
I also needed iron infusions 3 years post op... And that was a major expense for me (had to meet deductible off my insurance before they paid anything). Add items for constipation (miralax daily + magnesium)... My multi costs the least, but I need additional calcium, iron, vit Bs and D3, B12, and so on... Each one not that much..... But it adds up.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sor09
on 2/19/14 8:39 pm

Which surgery did you get?

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 265 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 520 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 510 views
Back to Bariatric Basics