What did I do WRONG? (shirataki noodles)

Sarah448
on 5/19/09 12:55 pm - Friendswood, TX

My DH made some spaghetti sauce tonight so I tried some angel hair shirataki noodles I got from Bekah's store and I ended up throwing it all up.  And I have only thrown up like 4 times in the 10 months since my surgery so I don't have a sensitive pouch.

Did I eat too much?  I didn't really get the usual signals I was full (burping for me) but I only dished up a small amount.

I know they are all fiber - do they swell up a LOT?  I swear 10 times more came up than went down! 

Johanna !
on 5/19/09 1:11 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Maybe they were not chewed enough??  they have a weird consistency and are tough to chew -I had them a few years back and I remember a strange consistency.
Sarah448
on 5/19/09 1:29 pm - Friendswood, TX
You know - you may be right.  I DID have a hard time chewing them and when they came back up (sorry for being so graphic) a lot were in long strings, now that I think about it.

* JuneCleaver *
on 5/19/09 2:15 pm
You want to cut them up and chew really well.  I usually take two butter knives and criss-cross cut them several times.

Even though they are 100% soluble fiber they shouldn't swell.  If you think about it...they come packed in water.  If they were going to swell they would have already done it.  I think of it like this...what would happen if you packed rice or regular pasta in water?  All the water would be gone and the pasta/rice would be so fluffy and mushy that they would fall apart.  So I'm convinced that they don't swell.  Others may argue that, but I'd need evidence that they swell to believe it.

However, that's not to say that you won't have a problem with them!  Iif you don't chew them up well you might have a problem. 

It's definitely going to be different for everyone.  I can eat a WHOLE package of the Angel Hair (over about 40 minutes) and not have a problem - other than feeling a little full.  But SusieWong can't seem to tolerate the Angel Hair at all - werid! 

I would recommend you try it again but cut them up and chew really well.  If you still have a problem, then I would switch to the Orzo.  If you still have a problem even with the Orzo, then unfortunately, Shirataki is not for you. 

Bekah

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

hippie_chick
on 5/20/09 2:17 am - Pensacola, FL
On May 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM Pacific Time, * JuneCleaver * wrote:
You want to cut them up and chew really well.  I usually take two butter knives and criss-cross cut them several times.

Even though they are 100% soluble fiber they shouldn't swell.  If you think about it...they come packed in water.  If they were going to swell they would have already done it.  I think of it like this...what would happen if you packed rice or regular pasta in water?  All the water would be gone and the pasta/rice would be so fluffy and mushy that they would fall apart.  So I'm convinced that they don't swell.  Others may argue that, but I'd need evidence that they swell to believe it.

However, that's not to say that you won't have a problem with them!  Iif you don't chew them up well you might have a problem. 

It's definitely going to be different for everyone.  I can eat a WHOLE package of the Angel Hair (over about 40 minutes) and not have a problem - other than feeling a little full.  But SusieWong can't seem to tolerate the Angel Hair at all - werid! 

I would recommend you try it again but cut them up and chew really well.  If you still have a problem, then I would switch to the Orzo.  If you still have a problem even with the Orzo, then unfortunately, Shirataki is not for you. 

Bekah
I cut mine to shreds! I'm take a big 'ol butcher to them as they're drying on a towel.

A whole package, Bekah???

NO man or woman is worth your tears... and the one who IS,
won't make you cry!!

Lap RNY 5/21/08 Pre-op - 222 / Current - 137 / Goal -135      

* JuneCleaver *
on 5/20/09 2:35 am
Yup - I CAN eat a whole package (that's what happens when you mindlessly eat as you are playing on the computer) but I usually don't.  I usually only eat about 1/3 and I add protein like shrimp or chicken. 

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

hippie_chick
on 5/20/09 2:56 am - Pensacola, FL
On May 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM Pacific Time, * JuneCleaver * wrote:
Yup - I CAN eat a whole package (that's what happens when you mindlessly eat as you are playing on the computer) but I usually don't.  I usually only eat about 1/3 and I add protein like shrimp or chicken. 
OH! that kind of eating - in front of the computer - yep - guilty! I have only tried my creamy shrimp recipe with them though because I was never a pasta/spaghetti sauce type. I need to find more low fat creamy recipes!

NO man or woman is worth your tears... and the one who IS,
won't make you cry!!

Lap RNY 5/21/08 Pre-op - 222 / Current - 137 / Goal -135      

katiekat412
on 5/19/09 9:04 pm
I agree. I eat it all the time, but the spaghetti is more difficult than the orzo. Also, it is very filling. I usually eat about a third of the package with meat sauce, or half the package with tomato sauce. The orzo is definately easier to chew/digest. I like to mix it up though!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

susiewong
on 5/20/09 9:03 am - NV
Hello, I cannot eat any of them. I tried the orzo and it was still a no-go for me...go figure! Oh well, life marches on...thank god I can drink wine!!!

SUSIEWONG
5'4 (Surgery: 226) (Presently: 133) (Doc's Goal: 141)

Sarah448
on 5/20/09 10:42 am - Friendswood, TX
Ditto on the drinking wine !!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...