spend 24 hrs in the hospital

Price S.
on 3/28/11 8:38 am - Mills River, NC

So this is the diagnosis.  I did get a message back from the surgeons office telling me to take the baby asprin and up the prilosec to 2x a day if I noticed any heartburn.  Haven't talked to the PCP yet.  I feel fine now.  Just got back from Zumba.  It all is very weird.
Thanks for all of your concerns. You really are a second family for me.

Transient global amnesia

Transient global amnesia (TGA) is "one of the most striking syndromes in clinical neurology" whose key defining characteristic is temporary but almost total disruption of short-term memory with a range of problems accessing older memories. A person in a state of TGA exhibits no other signs of impaired cognitive functioning but recalls only the last few moments of consciousness plus deeply-encoded facts of the individual’s past, such as his or her own name.

Symptoms

A person having an attack of TGA has almost no capacity to lay down new memories, but generally appears otherwise mentally alert and lucid, possessing full knowledge of self-identity and identity of close family, and maintaining intact perceptual skills and a wide repertoire of complex learned behavior. The individual simply cannot recall anything that happened outside the last few minutes, while memory for more temporally distant events may or may not be largely intact. The degree of amnesia is profound, and, in the interval during which the individual is aware of his or her condition, is often accompanied by anxiety. The diagnostic criteria for TGA, as defined for purposes of clinical resear*****lude: The attack was witnessed by a capable observer and reported as being a definite loss of recent memory (anterograde amnesia).
There was an absence of clouding of consciousness or other cognitive impairment other than amnesia.
There were no focal neurological signs or deficits during or after the attack.
There were no features of epilepsy, or active epilepsy in the past two years, and the patient did not have any recent head injury.
The attack resolved within 24 hours.

Progression of a TGA event

This onset of TGA is generally fairly rapid, and its duration varies but generally lasts between 2 to 8 hours. A person experiencing TGA typically has memory only of the past few minutes or less, and cannot retain new information beyond that period of time. One of its bizarre features is perseverance, in which the victim of an attack faithfully and methodically repeats statements or questions, complete with profoundly identical intonation and gestures "as if a fragment of a sound track is being repeatedly rerun" This is found in almost all TGA attacks and is sometimes considered a defining characteristic of the condition. The individual experiencing TGA retains social skills and older significant memories, almost always including knowing his or her own identity and the identity of family members, and the ability to perform various complex learned tasks including driving and other learned behavior; one individual "was able to continue putting together the alternator of his car." Though outwardly appearing normal, a person in TGA is disoriented in time and space, perhaps knowing neither the year nor where he or she is nor resides.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 3/28/11 8:45 am
Price, I am glad you got help quickly and will be okay now.

Anything neurological scares me witless mainly because I know so much yet so little about them. Been dealing with that rwalm for 15 years now and it just scares me.

Charles has had 7 TIA's that we can count. And yet the doctor's still to this day call them complicated migraines. Go figure.

Be careful, rest, get good follow up and HUGS!!!!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 3/28/11 9:57 pm - Mills River, NC
Migraines are one of the alternative diagnosis that they would look at if it happens again.  Along with seizures.  I'm just hoping for no more incidents.  Thanks for the support.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Happy_Camper
on 3/28/11 9:02 am
Oh Price   :(   Hope you're feeling better.   Cindy

Surgery March 2, 2010 -  5' 9"  -   HW 278 /  SW 260 /  CW 139 / GW 150

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat                         

Stacey N.
on 3/28/11 9:56 am - Chesapeake, VA
Oh wow! sending healing prayers to you! I was wondering where you were but chalked it up to being busy with your ponies, thankfully you have some awesome friends! I hope all will be well really soon! BIG HUGS!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

lerkhart
on 3/28/11 10:16 am
Price, I'm so glad you are doing ok now!!  How scary that must have been. 
I've read somewhere on one of these sites of someone with RNY taking aspirin.  I think they take the coated type, but I wonder if those will absorb.
Hope they got it all figured out and you won't have any more problems.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Take care of yourself.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 3/28/11 9:32 pm - Mills River, NC
He said to do the coated type but we will see.  I'm just hopeing it is all over.  Thanks for the support and prayers.

kimberly_gr
on 3/28/11 10:28 am
Price, so glad you're ok. That had to have been scary.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Price S.
on 3/28/11 9:30 pm - Mills River, NC
Funny, wasn't scarey at all while it was happening, just after when I was aware enough to think about everything horrible that could have happened.

RaggetyAnn
on 3/28/11 12:10 pm
VSG on 02/15/11 with
Oh Price! 
So glad you had a good pony who didn't make matters worse.  You must be a great rider.

Amnesia, huh?  Wonder if I can pull that one on my husband next time I go shopping and spend too much money....

On other matters, we will be arriving in Asheville on Wednesday morning, still hoping to see you on Thursday or Friday.  I've got your private message printed out with your phone number and will call you.

tracey

RaggetyAnn  (I'm just a RaggetyAnn in a Barbie Doll world.)
hw: 216 sw: 200 cw: 156 dgw: 134 mgw: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 431 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views