concerned about slow and slower losing...

rlw99
on 4/13/11 12:43 pm - Oakland, CA

I'll be 5 months out in a couple weeks and I've just barely lost 50lbs since surgery in November (80 lbs total since I started pre-op diet and prep in August). This seems so slow to me and I'm starting to get really concerned... During the 1st & 2nd months I lost 19lbs +14 lbs and was stalled for 4 weeks in there. During the 3rd month I lost 6.6 lbs, during the 4th month I lost 4.3 lbs and so far this month I've lost about 5 lbs. Seems like I lose a few pounds, bounce the same few pounds up and down, plateau, lose a few more, bounce up and down, plateau and on and on. Is this it?! Is 4-5 lbs a month the best I'm going to be able to do?

I am exercising, following the diet plan (hardly eating anything), getting fluids and protein, taking vitamins, tracking my food, etc.

Lucycat
on 4/13/11 1:49 pm - Lewiston, ID
Oh, you sound just like me!!  I'm doing the exact same thing.  I think we're actually very normal, but it is very frustrating.  We lost so much the first month that it seemed like that should continue, but we'd probably drop dead from shock if it kept up at that pace.  You're doing excellent in your weight loss, 80 pounds is nothing to scoff at.  I think this is how it is from this point on, slowly but surely.

Sue

rlw99
on 4/14/11 4:25 am - Oakland, CA
Thank you! Just found the LW board and definitely seeing that my slower loss situation is more typical here. On the one hand I am amazed at my progress since August and know I've done well, but just was feeling a little discouraged by the results over the last couple months. But it does continue to come off. I also feel stuck between sizes for the past month or so - my current size is too big, one size down is too small... I'm impatiently waiting for something to happen!

Thanks again!

Ladytazz
on 4/13/11 2:07 pm, edited 4/13/11 2:08 pm
Please, don't eat hardly anything. That isn't going to help you lose weight. It will just get your body used to surviving on hardly anything so that when you try to eat normally you will gain weight. There is no reason to starve yourself. I have found that I lose better when I get enough to eat, as long as it's healthy food. Add in more protein and I'll bet your weight loss will pick up. I know mine did.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kelly_hope
on 4/13/11 3:46 pm - Marysville, WA
You are living my fear and I'm so sorry you are feeling so frustrated.

I am still pre-op so I have no sage advice. But one little thing: please just remember you Are losing. You aren't gaining and you are getting healthier. Have you taken your measurements? Are you losing inches? If you haven't measured, it's never too late to start. I've found when I plateau on diets that I still lose inches.

Good luck!
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Mama477
on 4/13/11 4:50 pm

Sounds like you are doing everything your plan calls for..I've read lots of advice lately on increasing water and protein to shake it up a bit.

I know you will get some helpful advice here!

Stay the course!
Meg

HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

MajorMom
on 4/13/11 7:27 pm - VA
I will slow a bit but do try to increase your protein shakes and fluids, that might help a bit. You've come a long way, babeee!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 4/13/11 9:11 pm - Mills River, NC
Sounds pretty normal to me, at least that was/is my normal.  I lost pretty steadily for a few months then started the bouncing thing.  Some months are better than other.  Jan was 4 lbs, Feb was 8, March was 6.  Day to day and even weekly is sometimes frustrating, but then if you look back over a month, the loss is there. You've lost 5 so far this month and it isn't but half over. 

Relax and it will happen. It takes your body a while to adjust every so often. 80lbs is a bunch and I'm sure you are looking good and feeling better.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

paranoidmother21
on 4/13/11 11:18 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Instead of focusing on the pounds, how about taking a look at your excess weight lost (EWL)?

Looking at reports from people, it seems that we LWs lose about the same percentage of weight most months as heavyweights, but we lose fewer pounds (in great part because we have fewer to lose). Overall, we tend to lose a greater percentage of excess weight, but it just feels so doggone SLOW when we hear of heavy weights still losing 8-10 pounds a week after 3 months - and we're down to maybe a pound a week.

Hang in there - you are doing just fine.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

rlw99
on 4/14/11 4:16 am - Oakland, CA
Thank you, it helps to hear this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...