Second 5K today

Cheryl W.
on 4/29/11 11:30 pm - Fernandina Beach, FL
I just got back, I'm still dripping sweat, my throat is raw from breathing so hard, but I had to post that I just finished my second 5K.  I beat 36 minutes, so I'm Happy, happy, happy.  

My first 5K was April 8th, and I finished that in 40 minutes, so I'm getting better; stronger and faster.  I actually kept pace with my daughter in law for about a half mile.   

My next race is May 21st at the beach.  I can't wait.  Training is hard, it's hard to stay motivated, I ache all over, but it's worth it because I run with the young things. 

Cheryl
 HW:  258  SW:  237 CW:  152      
Jody ***
on 4/30/11 12:32 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
WOW Cheryl - that's fabulous!  I've been "thinking" about it... but that doesn't get me out there doing it!

What an inspiration you are and you should be SO proud of yourself!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Cheryl W.
on 4/30/11 2:36 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
I have to say, I don't know why, but it is so gratifying.  Maybe its the crowd effect, but I really like the races.  Training is hard, but the race is fun.
Lee ~
on 4/30/11 12:44 am - CA
YAY Cheryl!!!  Congratulations on besting your time!  I'm so impressed with runners.  I'm just now starting to gear up with the Couch 2-5K.  I had major ankle surgery in 2008 so I've been waiting to get more weight off to start running.  I think it will really help me with my weight loss if I can do it.

You've inspired me to hit the pavement (or the treadmill) today!!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Cheryl W.
on 4/30/11 2:41 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
Thank you, thank you

I highly recommend the running for weight loss.  I did a C25K training program before my first race, and it really got me prepared.  During those 2 months I lost 10 pounds each month.  Which was more than I lost the prior month when I wasn't running, but just doing treadmill/elliptical/recumbent biking.  I run every other day (I do some cardio and strength training on alternate days).  It really charges up my system and melts off the fat.
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 1:10 am
Congratulations! Sounds like you are doing some good training. I haven't run a race but have run 5k on my own with the C25k training. I did it for the first time at the beginning of the month and I am now doing the 10k training. Perhaps when I am done taking care of my grandchildren this summer I can see if I can find a race to run and begin that new journey.

If you love running, you love running. The freedom is invigorating and beating your personal best is great. Competing with yourself is a great way to exercise.
Cheryl W.
on 4/30/11 2:46 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
Great to know someone else is torturing themselves with running.  I'm not a natural runner, in fact I'm not an athlete of any kind.  But I do like the effects of the effort.

Do sign up for a race.  Pick one several months out, and it will motivate you not to slack off.  I'm gonna pick out one a month and eventually work up to a 10K.

I stopped setting weight loss goals with time limits.  It was disappointing and I couldn't control how fast I lost fat.  Instead I'm setting exercise goals.  Those I can control. 
lerkhart
on 4/30/11 2:32 am

Congratulations Cheryl.  Great time!!
Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Cheryl W.
on 4/30/11 2:49 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
Thank you thank you.  

Not bad for a 51 year old former obese woman.  OK, truth be told, the race results just posted and I was 14 out of 15 runners in my age group.  But hey, I finished and I ran the whole way.  The winning woman in the 50-54 group came in under 20 minutes.  That's less than a 7 minute mile.  Holy cow, how can she run that fast?   Bet she didn't weigh 175 pounds.   
Price S.
on 4/30/11 2:48 am - Mills River, NC
I really loved running and miss it when you guys report back.  Unfortunately, my hips and knees didn't love it and I can't run any more.  I loved hitting the road first thing in the morning and feeling great about having my exercise done for the day. 

Good for you for training and for the race.  They are fun and you will have a ton of Tshirts (if they are still doing that) to show for all the work as well as a fit, trim body.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views