Fluid tips ---please

Mama477
on 5/2/11 3:45 am
I am struggling to get in the fluids. I have s/f popsicles, vit 0 water, mio, eas protein drinks. Today i have had 10 oz water plus about 6 oz EAS.

I am logging meds + fluids by the hour to create a schedule. Just very difficult to drink when i feel full!! Any tips out there???

Thx!

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

baat2010
on 5/2/11 3:59 am - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
I blend ice (and protein powder) to my EAS drink so it becomes more like 20 ounces. In the early days, I found sipping on peppermint herbal tea easier than drinking cold water.

Good luck!
Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Mama477
on 5/2/11 9:47 am
Thx for reminding me. I bought peppermint tea. Yummmmm it went down easier!!!

Stacey N.
on 5/2/11 4:00 am - Chesapeake, VA
Hang in there! This early out it is very difficult to get everything in. As long as you are getting it in, you are doing good. Keep sipping away and you will do great.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Mama477
on 5/2/11 9:48 am
Thx, Stacey!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 4:25 am, edited 5/2/11 4:27 am
My doc said don't worry about it that much ...

peppermint tea was a big help to me ... ginger tea was too ( helped with the nausea) . Be careful with aspartame because it might make Ur heart race - it sure did mine so crystal lite was out for me .
I understand the new MIO drops may no contain aspartame though .

One protein drink I could stand very early out was bolton farms vanilla chai tea ( its in the produce section in high end supermarkets ) . Unfortunately my landlord developed a craving for it and would steal it and glug it down so I cant keep it around any more .

Another good one is isopure orange -mango ready made - it tastes just like a yogurt smoothie .

and i loveto make my protein teas or coffee using isopure banana as a creamer ... one scoop banana isopurewith a little water in blender - pour into a mug - pour hot strong ( now- decaf ) coffee ortea over the top- sip . This you'll find is delicious I think !
Mama477
on 5/2/11 9:50 am
I'm going to search for Isopure tomorrow!!! Thx Ava!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 4:54 am
The first weeks after VSG are super hard. Play around with the temp of your fluids. Some sleeves like warm, some like hot, some like room temp, some like ice cold. Mine liked warm-hot fluids, so I drank a lot of broth and herbal tea. You will also find that you will need to be CONSTANTLY sipping like it's your job to try to get fluids down. The smaller the sip, the more you can take in, which sounds weird, I know, but think of your sleeve like a funnel. If you drink a big sip at once, it will back up in the sleeve (funnel), but if you constantly take baby sips, it will funnel out of it faster. Does that make sense? You may be able to get more fluids in that way. You may also consider putting some lime/lemon in your water if you find water hard to get down--I did, and that was my solution for that difficulty. I lived on tea and broth, though, the first 2 weeks. (And juices sometimes, too) Be patient--it gets better,

Abby
Mama477
on 5/2/11 10:00 am
Great ideas!!! Temperature warm is much easier for me!! Each day is getting easier. I need to remember patience.

Thx, Abby!

Meg

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 10:05 am
You're doing great, Meg. :) 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views