Curves or a Gym??

aspan
on 5/15/11 7:31 am
I so need to start working on my lower half..every week that I loose I seem to be loosing from my face or from the girls..so much so there just isn't anything left! Meanwhile my hips/stomach is still wide and flabby as ever    ..so I know I really need to start a serious workout routine which leads me to my question, should I go to curves or hit up a gym..I have no experience with curves but I do have one less than a mile away..the gym I would likely go to is about 12 miles away and is on my way home from work so im likely to go to either one..more likely to go to curves during the weekend though since its so close...here is another factor, I get pretty severe leg pain if I exercise too much..and have been like this for years so no its not a vitamin defiency..doctors think its likely rls..so I have been putting off the exercise but I know I need to start..any suggestions would be great!!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
southernlady5464
on 5/15/11 7:56 am
I have RLS and it doesn't seem to affect my going to a gym.

Why not visit both for a session, most have aat least one free visit and see which one you are more comfortable at before deciding. I know some gyms aren't as "flabby friendly" as others and in some, you see all these skinny 20 year olds who have almost nothing to lose. We got lucky as our gym, even tho considered a "B" gym in their system is "overrun" with us older flabby and trying to get fitter adults. :)

Since my husband and I go during the week, we don't go on weekends. We go three times a week. We don't go there on weekends, too nuts.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

aspan
on 5/15/11 8:08 am
that's a good idea Liz..I think I will do that, plus I need to consider the cost of each..but yeah for some reason when my activity goes up my legs just ache...even walking through the store for more than an hour will make it flare up...I don't think its RLS but thats what the doctor thinks so thats what we are going with for now...
southernlady5464
on 5/15/11 8:34 am
RLS will flare regardless of activity and it mostly affects people in the evening and at night. I can just be sitting and if I don't have my medication for it, it will flare up and I will be miserable. Walking actually helps it some.

Doesn't sound like RLS to me and I would have a neuro evaluate it anyway.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Cheryl W.
on 5/15/11 8:26 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
I'd vote for which ever one is easiest to get to and works into a routine that you'll stick with.  

We (DH and I) live in an apartment, and their gym is the close so we go at 5:15 every day.  That way we get the exercise out of the way before our brain wakes up.  Because it's so close, we use it rather than excuse it....

My mantra:  Not exercising is not an option.
 HW:  258  SW:  237 CW:  152      
Kermit P.
on 5/15/11 8:37 am
I belonged to a place similiar to Curves and although it was helpful it just did not offer enough cardio wise.  I agree with the suggestion of trying both places.  I like the gym as it offers classes, lots of cardio equipment, as well as weights.   A big gym can be intimidating though and there have been times when i looked around and saw I was the biggest one there.  My next thought was, at least I am in here doing something!  The distance is something to consider though.  Although some Curves dont have great weekend hrs anyways so I would weigh that in your decision.  Our hearts need exercise no matter what we weigh and for me, I know exercise will help me (hopefully!) with maintenance.

Good luck to you!!!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
baat2010
on 5/15/11 8:40 am - IL
RNY on 11/29/10 with
My advice is figure out which one makes you feel the best, and sign up! You are more likely to go to the one that you enjoy, regardless of location. I prefer a gym because I like to take classes for cardio, but you may prefer the efficiency of Curves. Good luck - WTG on getting your body moving!

Amy
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 5/15/11 9:08 am - Mills River, NC
I go to Curves and have for years.  Most places will offer a week free trial.  I would take advantage of that.  I like Curves because:
1.  It is on my way to pick up clients or into town. 
2.  I like the staff and other ladies at mine
3.  I like the music
4.  I like getting done in 30 min and feeling like I have had a good workout and am done for the day.
5.  Now we have Zumba and I really enjoy that.
Don't like that they aren't open in the middle of the day or on weekends.
I have thought about doing the gym lately.  As I am getting fitter, it would be nice to have more options.  However, the whole getting there is a pain.  And I hate the machines basically, but at Curves, you do it and move on.  You don't have to set their machines because they are all hydrolic.  I like that.  It would be nice to have a personal trainer but not nice enough to have to drive out of my way or all the way into town to workout. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

aspan
on 5/15/11 9:22 am
Pryce, does curves have someone that can direct you to a specific piece of equipment if you want to work on a certain area? For example, I want to work on my lower tummy and arms, is there something there that would focus on that? I ended up finding out that there are three places I can go to, one is a small gym that has personal trainers, curves, and this bigger gym a little further away...im going to take everyone's suggestions and call to see if I can get a day free to check it out to see which I would be most comfortable with...
Ruthie D.
on 5/15/11 2:34 pm - Mayer, AZ
The Curves I researched had said that when I got comfortable with the circuit training, they would be happy to work with me to set up a personalized workout for trouble spots.

And then we moved 45 miles away... go figure.  ROFL! 

LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 299 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 424 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 485 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 504 views