Offended by Stereotypes

Stacey N.
on 7/24/11 10:17 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Yes, I am probably a little too sensitive recently but this really got my goat last night.
We went to Applebees for some dinner (my fav restaurant) There was this MO couple in a booth next to us. They had been brought out a very large appetizer (you know the one with EVERYTHING applebees has to offer) of course afterward their meals came. In the meantime, our appetizer came and our meal also (I had a steak) as I was ordering a desert for my 5 yr old I overhear the couple ask for boxes to take the rest of their meal home, the waiter said and I quote, " You need a box, of course, I just expected you to eat more, must not be as hungry as I thought"...They told him they did not realize the appetizer would be that big. Then he says" Well make sure you come back with a bigger appetite"..... In the mean time, my waiter (different guy) just automatically brings me boxes for everything and never even asked, just assumed... Made me realize how much this would actually happen to me before and I really got offended for these people. Just because they are MO does not mean they are going to eat the place out! I didnt say anything to him because I got the look from my DH to keep my mouth shut ( I tend to speak my mind) I am going to call later this morning and make a complaint against him though... Ok Rant over....

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 10:52 pm
Oh, I so understand. I am finding myself smiling and talking more to overweight people as I remember feeling on the fringe.
I recently noticed a difference in attitudes when I had gone to a church and found they now talk to me where when I visited before and was overweight they ignored me.
I know I did not exclude before but I am sure conscious of making an effort now to make sure they are included. I now have the confidence to share myself more.
Ruthie D.
on 7/25/11 1:38 am - Mayer, AZ
I think there is some taboo about giving out to-go boxes.  They almost insist that they will bring them at the end of the meal.  I have to INSIST that they please bring me one big one at the beginning of the meal.  I've taken to telling them that I'm just not as hungry as I thought I would be because my stomach's a little upset.   They don't have to know I'm measuring my portions.  I don't know if it's the cost of the styrofoam or if they interpret it as paying one price for two, as if it was a shared meal.  I may have to ask what their policy is and why it's like squeezing blood from a turnip sometimes.  It should be done with no back-talk whatsoever.

and yeah... I'm noticing more people make eye contact and smile back nowadays.  I haven't changed my behavior... it's them.  I guess we all want people to be easy on the eyes?  lol

You GO Stacey and let us know what the manager says.  I'm curious about this annoying phenomenon.
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
MacMadame
on 7/25/11 1:45 pm - Northern, CA
I think for some waiters it's that bringing them before throws off their rhythm so they resist even though it's not logical. Also, they probably have people who ask for them in the beginning and then don't use them. So they don't believe us.

Though I have to say I haven't had any issues with this. Sometimes they forget to do it but they don't argue with me about it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Ruthie D.
on 7/25/11 1:52 pm - Mayer, AZ
Well, that makes sense too.  and... I wouldn't argue with you either.  Heh Heh   ;-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
italianspice
on 7/25/11 4:08 am - Eastlake, OH
Rant away!
That is so sad. How rude for that waiter to say that.
An old saying I remember, "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove any doubt." That waiter removed any doubt.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views