Something bothering me

Stacey N.
on 9/9/11 10:45 pm - Chesapeake, VA
and I dont really know how or who to talk about it with, so I am coming to my friends...
First I know everyone is gonna say this is a compliment, but after the gazillionth time it is annoying and bothering me.

Anywhere I go, I CANNOT get any respect. I hold myself the way I did when I was working 10 years ago and still abide by a strict work ethic. My birthday passed a few days ago and of course everyone wished me happy birthday and of course asked how old I was, my answer 21 for the 15th time LOL....They get an odd look on their face (noone does math anymore) and i say Im 36. Their jaw drops and I get the OMG! You look SO YOUNG! I could have sworn you were 24!!!

I was talking to a twenty something at work yesterday and lecturing him on his rapid weightloss and the fact that blueberries and kale does not have enough protein to keep his heart healthy ( kid is drinking nothing but juice and eating blueberries and kale) and that he should try to at least get in 200 gr of protein just to save his muscles. He looks at me like im nuts and have no clue what i am talking about it, I then tell him I learned this trough my nutrition stuff because I had WLS..Complete shock when I told him my age, he was sppechless.

Ok so my question, is how do I make myself look OLDER! I wear my hair down while at home but at work I have to put it up in a pony tail, I wear make up but lightly... Ok maybe I am a little sensitive but  after months of this, I am REALLY annoyed by it

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

MajorMom
on 9/9/11 10:50 pm - VA
I think part of it is because we're so short. Nothing we can do about that though. I think explaining your age comes with the territory, sadly enough.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MEZ
on 9/9/11 10:56 pm, edited 9/9/11 10:57 pm - Wilmington, NC

Learn to love it. I don't think there's much you can do, unfortunately.

And the looking young shouldn't have anything to do with respect. You can demand respect. The pony tail probably doesn't help, I'll be honest. Do you have any other hair options?

Trust me, when you're in your 40s it won't be so annoying.

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

wade 1.
on 9/9/11 11:49 pm - TX
Just my 2cents, but enjoy the fact that you look younger than you are. Respect has very little to do with age, but more with how you treat yourself and others.
Stacey N.
on 9/10/11 12:10 am - Chesapeake, VA
I believe alot has to come with the fact that I work with morons, they are all in their 20's and respect noone. The older ones (higher ups) are better and give more respect I just get tired of being told, but you look so young!

Hair change may be in order, maybe a bun for a few weeks

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

loverofcats
on 9/10/11 12:35 am
I think it is because you work with people in their 20's. Many of them act like morons and need some time to mature. Enjoy looking younger, while you can. I am also petite and used to look alot younger than my actual age. Frankly, I always enjoyed hearing that I looked younger than my actual age. 

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

seaview
on 9/10/11 12:39 am
 Younger people have NO IDEA how older people are supposed to look.
  Just like older people cannot tell a 20 year old from a 24 year old..or a thirty year old...but  younger people can.
  Kids can't tell 30 from 40...they have no sense of reference except their parents. 
 It's a normal thing.
 Young people will tell you you don't look older because for them 35 is super old and they have no idea that you actually look what you are supposed to look like.
  I would suggest you don't joke about being 20 but tell them how old you are right off and then thank them for the compliment when they tell you you look younger.
 A fashion make over is always a great thing though...dressing up for work even if it's a casual environment is a good idea...
 just like when we were fat...people will never tell you  you look old...only young...
enjoy it...when it stops you gotta worry...SEAVIEW

Stacey N.
on 9/10/11 1:42 am - Chesapeake, VA
Wish I could wear something else to work but with it being starbucks, work attire is black slacks and black polo/

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

newdirectionhome
on 9/10/11 2:01 am
 Stacey, among my friends, we would call your looking younger than your age "a high class problem!"

I know it's tough sometimes, but when you get to 65, like me, you will notice a huge speed up in aging. I always looked younger (short, freckles, always called perky). I finally decided it is meant as a compliment since our society values youth so much.

How you are treated is a different matter. If your bosses and the public treat you well, I'd let the younger, goofier comments roll off. Thanks for your tip on the protein powder. I have an occassional "decaf coffee frappucino light with an added scoop of protein". Whew, I'm exhausted remembering it all. I admire you for doing what you do! You help everybody you encounter have a better day.

Enjoy looking young!
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Stacey N.
on 9/10/11 2:39 am - Chesapeake, VA
It can be something good to grab in a pinch or when you are out and running around. !! They really are yummy! Oh BTW they hace caramel, vanilla and hazelnut in SF, this way you can add a flavor to it sometime. If anything tell them no whip too! All it is, is heavy whillping cream with vanilla flavoring.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views