18 months ou t

bbwvixen
on 11/5/11 2:42 pm - Surrey, Canada
So much has changed and not all for the better :(
I'm down to 165 or so, and had my hernia surgery repair in June.
A week later I lost my dad, so the summer is a blur of medications, and being so
distraught.

I find now I'm scared ****less becuase the doctor said I'd have the benfits of the surgery for up to 18 months. Then what? If I over eat, I get fat again???

I've been really stressed so of course have been eating more. Since my surgery I've cut down on how much I eat, and try to eat healthier, but I've really found there's nothing that's off limits that I can't eat.....besides lately, ice cream makes me ill. I've never dumped ever........

I work full time and try to have a bagal or protein drink for breaky, and then tuna and crackers, or a small cheeseburger for lunch.......with 100 calorie snacks added. I do really well usually until dinner, or just after when I almost gorge myself.
Last night I even stuck my  finger down my throat so I'd puke.

I am also constantly exhausted. I have my vitamin levels checked and they're always good.

Ladytazz
on 11/5/11 4:12 pm
Honey, it's the carbs that are getting to you.  How much protein are you getting in?  Try to replace the carbs with protein and I'll bet you will feel much better.  I eliminated all refined carbs and now I am gluten free and it makes a big difference.
What your doctor is saying is that after about 18 months the malabsorption if pretty much gone and the only way to keep the weight off is by developing healthier eating habits.  It's never too late to do that.
I'm sorry about your father.  I lost my mother in June so I know how hard it is.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kimberly_gr
on 11/5/11 8:17 pm
I'm so sorry for your loss; there's no one like your dad in your life, and I know your loss is profound.

Have you considered going for grief counseling?  I feel like if you don't deal with your grief properly, you'll have a difficult time getting your diet under control.  I lost my dad 16 years ago when he was only 51.  I ended up going for counseling because my world was turned upside down, and I only needed 5 sessions to to move forward through my grief.  At the time I didn't think I had the money or time for it, but I was losing my mind.

Please consider the counseling.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Price S.
on 11/5/11 8:30 pm - Mills River, NC
sometimes our vit levels are in the normal range, but not really good for us.  I was really tired until I got my D3 up around 100.  Post your levels and let some of our vitamin gurus see if they really are ok.

Looks like you have falled back into some old habits including carbs and puking.  We did this surgery so we wouldn't have to do stuff like that.  Although your malabsorption only last around 18 months, your pouch is there forever.  You still have limited intake amounts although if you stuff it or eat a lot of carbs, you can eat around the pouch and gain your weight back.  Now is the time to establish good habits that will stay with you all your life. 

Find an on-line food tracker and start tracking everything you put in your mouth.  I use the one on this site.  I'm here all the time anyway.  Post your meals on meals and menus and see if you can get some help with eating healthier.  Get your protein around 100g a day, cut the carbs way back and eliminate the white carbs, sugar, flour, white rice and potatoes. 

You can do this and we can help but you have to do your part, track your food and post so we can help. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

bbwvixen
on 11/6/11 12:49 am - Surrey, Canada
Thank you for the advice and condolences. My mom has MS and is sick too, dad was only 64 and mom is 63.
My DH also had a nervous breakdown this summer, and I had to go back to work full time, when I wasn't ready. (new job)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO addicted to carbs! How do I stop??? How do I get more protien in?
I basically spend my time working or sleeping. Everything is done on the run!!

prplady
on 11/6/11 1:33 am - Canada
I am so sorry that you ar going thru all of this...

I am just getting started .. surgery tomorrow....

but with the carbs I think you just have to STOP and it will be yucky for a few days and then it gets better... as long as you up the protein you shouldnt be hungry and that helps soooo much.

to get more protein in i think you have to start each meal with it... meat meat meat... chicken, fish, eggs... leave no room for the carbs...

not sure ...just trying to help

you have done really well

and have every right to feel upset.....

but you do not want to add more to make yourself unhappy

Hope you feel better really soon

keep your chin up, YOU CAN DO THIS!

hugs

Sandra

HW 270  SW 226 CW 175.8 GW 150

Ladytazz
on 11/6/11 3:05 am
It is hard to detox from carbs.  They will be talking to you and telling you all kinds of lies, that just one won't hurt and you can stop after this time.  That only lasts for a few days or so and then you will feel much better.  Try just having protein shakes for a few days to help clear out your system, then move on to soft protein foods like Greek yogurt, cheese, beans, things like that, then add back meat and some vegies and fruits.
It really helps to be prepared and plan ahead.  If I am going to be gone for a while I take a RTD shake, some protein bars and some nuts to have on hand.  If I don't have anything handy I can go to Wendy's for some chili and cheese or Taco Bell for some pintos and cheese.  If you  have some time off try to do some cooking for the week.  I love my crock pot for that reason.  I just find some high protein, low carb meal ideas and make a big batch and freeze the rest into individual portions that are easy to just grab and heat.  In a pinch you can always run into a grocery store and grab a cooked chicken and bag of salad.  Cook a roast and slice it up and freeze for a quick dinner, just add vegetables.  Planning ahead makes things a lot easier.  Once you get the carbs out of your system I'll bet you will have more energy, too, and won't feel like you need to sleep so much.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

loverofcats
on 11/6/11 3:08 am, edited 11/6/11 3:11 am
How to get more protein in? Eliminate the bagel for breakfast and have some protein, like an egg, piece of meat, tuna, other type of fish, chicken, protein drink, etc. Each meal and snack needs to contain some protein and a good carb, like veggies or a little fruit. What does your program recommend? Are you getting enough water in?

Counseling may also be helpful, since you are returning to emotional eating, which helped most of us become morbidly obese and created the need for surgery. You have been under a tremendous amount of stress, so the exhaustion may also be related to the severe life events that you have experienced during the past few months.

Food tracking is also a good suggestion. Helps to keep one focused, mindful, and accountable for what we put into our mouths.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

lerkhart
on 11/6/11 5:28 am
I am so sorry for your loss.

You can get control again.  Carbs are a hard thing to cut back on.  Do you like greek yogurt? I like this with a crystal lite stick in it.  It is a great snack substitute that is good for you too.

I have a hard time cooking during the week so I try to cook a couple of things on the weekend that I can have all week.  I take my lunch almost every day because it is so much better for you and helps to eliminate the temptation of fast food for me.  I might have white chicken chili, or make regular chili.  I fix hamburger patties, boil eggs and fix egg salad.

I agree with Price that posting on Roz's Menus and Miles each day really helps us to be accountable.  Liz does a weekly weigh in on Sunday's.

Staying active on the board really helps. 

Hope things get better for you.  Please stay in touch with us.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
bbwvixen
on 11/6/11 11:33 am - Surrey, Canada
Thank you.
I did get a couple of sessions of gief counsellng sessions and it  did help. It's just all the  otheruff  too

I looked for vitamin B3 today and couldn't find it. I take B12  every  2nd day though.
Also multi, Vit C, Vit D, and iron, calcium.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 293 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 419 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 479 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 498 views