stopping vitamins before surgery

Price S.
on 11/10/11 7:04 am - Mills River, NC
So for my hernia surgery this week they had me stop my multis a few days before. But the pharmacy nurse just called about my knee replacement and they are having me stop everything but D and calcuim and Mag. already.  Surgery is 2 weeks away.  No multis, no Bs, no A, no bioten.  It seems extreme but I repacked my pill container and will comply. 

Anyone else have to do all this.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

italianspice
on 11/10/11 7:14 am - Eastlake, OH
I know I was on supplements pre wls surgery and was told to stop 2 weeks before. Seems like a long time postop. Hopefully one of our vitamin gurus can give you more info or a good rationale.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

MajorMom
on 11/10/11 7:23 am - VA
My understanding is all you really need to stop is vitamin E and any strange herbal supplements. They really are only concerned with excessive bleeding. Why some places want you to stop so much so far out is beyond me. Seeing as how you get your nutrition from vitamins, I would only stop E and herbals, but that's just me and my cynical stubborn attitude talking.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 11/10/11 7:56 am - Mills River, NC
I guess 2 weeks isn't long enough to make me deficient in anything but it sure will seem strange. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Stacey N.
on 11/10/11 1:41 pm - Chesapeake, VA
I know many herbals tend to lead to excessive bleeding but dont remember which ones. I ahd a list from the Hemophilia foundation, I know ginko was one of them. ANyway good luck hun, Im swinging all these squirrles for ya!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

MajorMom
on 11/10/11 6:54 pm, edited 11/10/11 7:02 pm - VA
Price, this link backs up my previous post. www.energywave.com/natural-remedies/surgery-and-herbs.htm

You need your regular vitamins and minerals since you malabsorb those, but cut the vitamin E and any herbs listed on the link.

--g

ETA: This advice matches what I got from Walter Reed prior to back surgery. They did have me give 2 pints of my own blood prior to surgery and I needed every drop according to them...8 hours on the table. It also matches what I got from the 2 civilian hospitals here for both surgeries since I retired.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 11/10/11 10:20 pm - Mills River, NC
I liked the part in the article about foods.  My pre- post surgery book does discuss diet.  Pre says to eat broccaili, greens etc for iron and calcuim, post says to limit those foods and keep the amounts the same each week because they block the coumadin.  I plan on asking on Tues how long I will have to be on coumadin.  I love my greens.  I'll also ask about the other vits.  I had heard E before but not all the Bs and A.  I certainly don't want to be off them more than this 2 weeks.  The reason they took me off the multi was the E in it but I don't think there is a multi without E

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 316 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views