How to plan for a flight...

melizabeth
on 11/30/11 11:41 pm - CA

We're going to Maui in January and I was wondering what you've experienced while flying regarding your food.  I will not be able to eat anything they offer on the plane.  BTW, my endoscopy is scheduled for January 12 (2 days before we leave on vacation).  However, I did get put on the waiting list. 

I was thinking that I could buy a water after going through security and mix a protein drink while I'm on the plane.  The only other thing I can think of that I eat is Greek yogurt - do you think they will let me bring that on the plane?

Thanks for your help.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

Stacey N.
on 12/1/11 1:05 am - Chesapeake, VA
Check the website of the airline you are traveling on, sometimes you can bring yogurt but I dont think so. Jif makes handy PB packs,beef jerky,of course protein powders. Peanuts..Be creative, there are many things you can bring with you. Also what are they serving on the flight. You may be able to eat what they have, lunch meats are wonderful.
I would also have a drs note saying what is going on and your dietary restrictions, it may help some. Have fun on your trip

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Mommy_AIC
on 12/1/11 1:44 am

Hi
I travel a lot for work and pack a lunch and take it with me.  I bring a yogurt, hummus (you can get individual sizes) small cracker or pretzel for hummus, sugar free pudding or jello cup, protein bar and protein powder in a baggie for my refillable drink/shaker.  Never had had problems.  Sometimes I also take salami and cheese.  The only thing you cannot take are liquids.

D~
r
eached goal ~ its all about maintaining now!
Roz !!!!
on 12/1/11 2:16 am - Butler, PA
I  fly about 3 or 4 times a year and I also always take foods I can eat like beef jerky, protein bars, nuts, etc.  I take my shaker cup and ge****er and ice from the stewardess.  If we are going on a trip that we stay for a week or so then I pack all of my Protein in my carry on bag.  I put it in ziploc baggies and label each bag.  I seem to get checked every time.  One time they were all smelling it and wanted to know where I got the lemon tea and mint cookie....LOL My PCP did write me an excuse to carry it with me but I've never had to use it.

The two times that I packed it in my checked bag my bags were searched and they made a mess of my belongings.  I'm thinking they might have smelled it somehow.   

You can probably buy Greek Yogurt at the airport. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 12/1/11 6:56 am - Mills River, NC
I've only done short flights but I take edemama, protein bars, cheese sticks or babybell, When I am leaving from home, I just pack meat and cheese leftovers or make a low carb wrap.  I put whatever in my purse and have never had a problem with sercutity.  Liquids are the only problem.  If you take protein powder, remember a bottle to put it in.  I have made such a mess trying to get it into a water bottle, yuck.  I pack the rest of my protein in baggies and put it in my checked bag.  never had any problems with any of it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lee ~
on 12/2/11 9:42 am - CA
GNC has Premier Protein Jello. You can also get canned protein pudding from them.  I get the Fruit Punch flavor.  You can take a small bag with freezer packs and take things like string cheese, lunch meats, cut up veggies and whatever you normally eat.  I see that you're from California so it's not that long a flight.  I travel internationally and take my food for the entire day.  Keep it simple and take things that you enjoy eating.

I'm flying to Mexico next week for Plastic surgery and will be taking food in my suitcase for while I'm there, along with food for the plane.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 507 views