4 Days Post-op, mostly doing well

mom3miracles
on 12/19/11 2:45 am
Thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes for my surgery.  I had the RNY on Thursday and was home Friday night.  My surgeon said everything went very well.  Aside from being a little nauseas from the pain meds, I did fine in the hospital so they let me go home the next day.

So far I am doing well at home.  The first couple of days I could barely stay awake for an hour, but I have a lot more energy today.  I am really tired of the liquids and wish I could chew on something.

My one complaint is that ocassionally I get a sharp pain in my left side, just to the left of my navel. I thought it was gas pain, but I'm not sure since it comes on very quickly and then disappears. Then I thought it was from sipping too quickly, but it happened in the middle of the night.  So far it hasn't happened today, but yesterday it happened several times.  It passed after a few minutes of lying down on my back.  I have a follow-up with my doctor on Wednesday so I will mention it to him but I wonered if anyone knows what it could be.

Aside from getting in all of my liquids, trying to walk as much a possible, and giving myself time to heal, is there any advice for me this week?  Any thoughts on what I might be able to eat on Christmas?  We are going to my Sister in law's house and she keeps asking me.  I told her not to worry about me and that I will bring whatever I need.

Thanks for all of your help and input.
lerkhart
on 12/19/11 4:55 am
Sounds like you are doing good.  Congratulations.

I had a sharp pain in my left side and it turned out to be nothing, but I would check with my surgeon just to be sure.

Are you on liquids or pureed foods?  I was on pureed food when I went home from the hospital.  I would follow my surgeon's guidelines in the very beginning until you are healed because if something happens he would be the one that had to fix it. 

Can't wait to watch your journey!!

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 12/19/11 5:52 am - VA
Welcome home. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The pain on the left may just be internal healing. If it gets worse or you start running a fever, call the surgeon. Get some rest :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 12/19/11 7:21 am - Mills River, NC
walk, sip, rest, repeat.  That is about it for your first week.  Sounds like you are right on track.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 12/20/11 4:45 am - Butler, PA
Congrats on your surgery!  I had a sharp pain on my left side too and I did go see my Surgeon.  He said there's nothing on that side that would cause the pain I describe so he thought I probably pulled something getting in and out of bed.  It went away in about a week.

Will you be on puree or soft then?  Puree meat etc. sounds gross but it tastes wonderful when you just need the taste of food. Did your Surgeon give you a list of acceptable foods and different stages.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Liz J.
on 12/20/11 7:06 am - Woonsocket, RI
If you want to chomp on something sugar free popsicles are good.
mom3miracles
on 12/20/11 9:38 am
mom3miracles
on 12/20/11 9:41 am
  Thanks everyone! I've been on clear liquids so far and should hopefully start smooth/pureed foods after my appointment tomorrow morning.  Maybe on Christmas Day I can puree some ham- I thought pureed meat sounded horrible, but at this point I'm willing to try.  There should also be mashed potatoes.  I think I might offer to take some soup that I can eat.

I tried to make one of those weight loss tickers, so hopefully it will show up here...

mom3miracles
on 12/20/11 9:41 am
My ticker is not showing up...
I created one, saved it, and changed my settings to include it in my signature.  What am I doing wrong?

mom3miracles
on 12/20/11 9:49 am
 Looks like it's working now- never mind!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 315 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 438 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 501 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 522 views