Good News - Bad News

Susan G.
on 10/17/12 3:33 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Hin All:

Well the good news is today is 5 yrs since my surgery. I am happy to say that I haven't gained any weight since I lost 105 lbs. I still drink my protein shakes and take all of my suppliments and vitamins. All was going great.
UNTIL
About 3 weeks ago my Diabetes came back. It has been in remmision for 5 yrs. Went to the Endocrenologist yesterday and he told me that he has 4 other patients that this has happened to. He told me I did nothing wrong to make this happen. It seems that, as we age, our cells die off and our bodies won't accept the insulin it make.

So I'm back on taking my sugar 4 times a day and back on insulin. Not a lot, just a few unit a day but it is still a bummer.

Has anybody else had this happen to them yet. He also told me that sometimes it doesn't happen till you are 10 yrs out.

Just my luck it happened at 5 yrs out. Oh well, life goes on!

Susan G.
Price S.
on 10/17/12 3:45 am - Mills River, NC
Wow.  Congrats on your success.

I didn't have diabetes but this is the first I have heard of anyone's coming back.  What a bummer.  Does it have anything to do with the type, like type 1 or 2?  I am pretty ignorant regarding diabetes.

Welcome back.  Hope you will stick around and meet the new folks.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lee ~
on 10/17/12 8:28 am - CA
Congratulations on your five years. That's awesome how well tyouve done in maintenance. I'm so sorry about the diabetes!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

MajorMom
on 10/17/12 9:52 am - VA
I want to say happy surgiversary bit that's the pits about the diabetes coming back. : (

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 10/17/12 10:58 pm
Susan,
Congratulations on the 5 years of weight loss!!  That is awesome.

Sorry about the diabetes.  I had type 2.  I was told you are never cured, it just goes into remission and there is a possibility it can come back.  It was one of the reasons I had WLS.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
dasie
on 10/18/12 12:56 am
Congratulations on your 5 year successful mark.  I don't have diabetes, it runs in the family though.  What did return for me was my high blood pressure.  It retuned 1 year post op.  I was not expecting that after losing a little more than 100 pounds at that point.  My cardiologist remarked how much better off I am in spite of the BP issue. ABSOLUTELY  Like you, I do not take as much med

dasie
on 10/18/12 12:59 am
PS...There are people on the RNY board whose diabetes returned.  Kim Soo, I cannot remember her correct  name, but she  is one who comes to mind.  I would post this on that board.  She is active.

Huneypie
on 10/18/12 2:12 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I've heard about diabetes coming back for RNYers once they're further out. Have a look on jillybean's profile for interesting data on diabetes - sorry, I'm on a tablet and don't have my links on here.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 421 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 482 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 501 views