Couple of questions

Poppygail
on 2/3/13 4:41 am - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

I'm new to the lightweights board and need some information. 1st: which wls patients are considered lightweights? Does the designation start at the day of surgical consultation or at the day of surgery? 2nd: on the day of my surgical consult (Oct 22, 2012) I had a BMI of ~42 and now it is just below 36. I have already been approved for surgery and scheduled for March 6. My question is if I continue to lose and have a BMI below 35 by my surgery date could that affect my approval?

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Randy

MajorMom
on 2/3/13 5:29 am - VA

Welcome aboard!  Usually, the weight that was the submitted to insurance is the only one you need to worry about. They don't continue to send your weights to insurance as you get closer to surgery.  If in doubt, check with your surgeon's office and ask if they have any other special situations that you need to be concerned about. Keep us posted and good luck! 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 2/3/13 5:55 am, edited 2/3/13 1:54 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Welcome Randy. The criteria for the LW board is pretty loose. If you like it here then please feel free to hang out with us.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MacMadame
on 2/3/13 1:41 pm - Northern, CA

For the board? If you want to be here, be here. No real rules but most of us started around 40-ish BMI and definitely under 45 BMI.

For insurance? It depends on your insurance. Most go by your weight the day you had your surgical consult. But a few will deny if you go under 35. You need to find out if yours is one of them ASAP. If they are, then you need to *stop losing*! And insurance companies are bad about giving a straight answer so you might want to call a few times and make sure you get the same answer.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Poppygail
on 2/3/13 6:04 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

Thanks for the answers guys. I will definitely call the insurance coordinator at my surgeon's office. If she can't give me any solid info I'll move on to the insurance company. I'm hesitant to stop losing because, if history is any indicator, once I stop I start going the other way quickly.

Here's wishing you a wonderful day.

Randy

Price S.
on 2/4/13 12:31 am - Mills River, NC

Welcome.  don't worry about gaining because you will lose it quickly after surgery.  I know none of us what to gain but we need to stay approved!!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

walterswife
on 2/6/13 1:44 pm
Welcome aboard Randy. Congratulations on your decision to have surgery. Looks like your concerns have been addressed. We are here to support you.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 296 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 420 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 480 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 500 views