40 BMI?

stonerose
on 3/1/13 1:42 pm - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I was wondering if you qualify for WLS with a 40 BMI, what about weight lost with the pre-op liquid diet?  I am set for revision.  When I first had surgery I was about 265, but at 245 when I had lap band surgery after 2 weeks of liquid diet.  Now I have lost my band.  I am near a 40 BMI, but if I start the pre-op diet I'll go under.,  For those who had surgery who were close to the 40 BMI can you share your experiences?  The only co-morbidity the insurance mentions that I have is degenerative join disease, I have severe arthritis in my knees.  Anyone else barely at qualifying?

MacMadame
on 3/1/13 2:30 pm - Northern, CA

It depends on your insurance. Some go by the first weigh in, some have different rules for revisions and some will deny you if you lose to much weight on the pre-op diet.

However, not every program will make you do a pre-op diet either so that depends too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lerkhart
on 3/2/13 7:23 am

My insurance company went by the first weigh in, but I was heavier so it was not a problem for me. 

What type of surgery are you looking into?  If you have severe arthritis and need to take NSAID's you might want to do something other than RNY.  NSAID's can cause ulcers in us. 

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
southernlady5464
on 3/2/13 8:42 am

Try a 35.2 BMI at the time I weighed in...but I also had some great comorbids (for that purpose).

I chose the DS precisely because I needed NSAIDS. The VSG is another GREAT option if you require NSAIDS. But the RNY is NOT!

And welcome to the lightweight board!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

horrible_monster
on 3/2/13 11:29 am
VSG on 02/27/13

Can't speak to your specific comorbidities, but here's how my weight's looked:

Winter 2011/2012, highest weight: 250 pounds, BMI was 39.2 or thereabouts

Autumn 2012, initial consultation with my surgeon: 232, BMI was 36.3

Early February I was down to about 225, then 218 as I began the pre-op liquid diet. On the morning of my surgery (just this last Wednesday) I was at 206 (BMI of 32.3)

I think what really mattered (aside from several years of steady weight gain documented from previous doctors' visits) was having a BMI of at least 35 on the day of that initial consultation. I did have comorbidities--mainly sleep apnea, but also GERD and joint pain. 

What I'm saying is I think they'll go with your "starting" weight. I wouldn't worry about going under a 35 BMI due to the pre-op diet. YMMV, of course.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

stonerose
on 3/3/13 2:15 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Hello, thanks for the replies and welcome.  I should really think about the NSAIDs, as I do take them.  My doctors (both general and bariatric) recommend the RNY as most tested and most effective.  I weighed about 215 when my band came out in January.  Now I'm up to 220 with a BMI of 39.  My doctor tested me for sleep apnea but I didn't qualify.  He didn't mention the joint disease as a co-morbidity - but when I called my insurance it was on their list.  I will have to talk further with him.  I hate gaining weight, and I am working out, but I can't say I have been "dieting" too hard as it seems the only way to qualify.  I know from my history that WLS works as I did very well on the band.  My new surgeon says it must have slipped years ago and that's why I was gaining.  I know I felt very little restriction for the last six of the eight years I had it.

Anyway, I'm sort of a mush-up of conflicted feelings and fears right now.  Thanks for your support! 

southernlady5464
on 3/3/13 2:29 am

Change over to Dr. Kemmeter...he is the ONLY surgeon in that practice that we recommend for revisions. Explain to him that you need/require NSAIDS. He may suggest the VSG which is a doable one for a lightweight.

There is a FB group for Michigan DS'ers...

I can understand the conflicted feelings and fears.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

optimistic34
on 3/3/13 8:07 am - AL

My current BMI is 40.1. I am waiting on approval from insurance now. My surgeons office told ne nit to lose any weight prior to surgery because it could cause a denial even after the initial approval. So I was told not to do any diet prior to surgery.

HW 245/ SW 242/ GW 145/ SURGERY DATE 04/01/13   

stonerose
on 3/3/13 8:32 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I'm working with Dr. Weaver in Kalamazoo now.  He seems really nice.  I was one of Dr. Randall's first lap bands (actually, the 2nd with a trainer).  In retrospect I am disappointed at the follow up care.  I went back several times over the years for a fill, then unfill, then fill.  Dr. Weaver tells me the band was probably done wrong, or slipped years ago.  I'm looking forward to living closer to my surgeon's practice.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 510 views