....AND THE GUILT SETS IN *SIGH*

antigone139
on 3/6/13 9:22 am - TX

I am just about 9 weeks post op ( will be 9 weeks on the dot on Saturday 03/09/2013).  I started today off pretty good I would say...I had about 12 oz water, with my supplements, then I had about 5oz of unsweetened applesauce. After that I started to drink my protein shake I completed about 7-8oz before I felt full.  Then about 90 mins later my lunch at work was scheduled...so I wanted some egg drop soup (didnt want solid or pureed food at the time)....so I go to this local chinese food chain called WOK INN and order a small egg drop soup and then ....then I MAKE THE BAD CHOICE OF ORDERING A CHICKEN EGGROLL.

so I have about 6 spoonfuls of the soup and then ATE THE EGGROLL...which came out to about 5 bites.  

What is wrong with me...has anyone else eaten something they werent suppose to at this point of their journey??

Jody ***
on 3/6/13 9:26 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Absolutely!  But - did you only eat something you weren't supposed too - or eat too much or too fast?  Did you feel sick?

Don't beat yourself up - and get back to basics.  It happens. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

antigone139
on 3/6/13 9:37 am - TX

The weird thing is I didnt get sick at all... which kinda scares me.  I thought my new stomach would be my barrier.  It took me about 45 mins to finish the eggroll and I researched how much sodium could potentially be in the restaurant egg drop soup so I stopped eating it ( could contain 1000-2500mg of sodium!!!!) I have only experienced "dumping syndrome" once and that was 3 weeks post of when I had a bit of a filet o fish.  I felt dumping almost instantly. 

Preop weight: 250  SW: 245 CW: 206 GW: 124  Height 5'5"

Jody ***
on 3/6/13 10:07 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I'm 4.5 years out - and dumped a few days ago.  You NEVER know when it will hit you!  I thought I was beyond that, but we still get reminded from time to time what our surgeries do for us.

Just remember - next time you may not be so lucky!  Good luck! 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Kermit P.
on 3/6/13 11:01 am

I am two years out and have heard such bad things about chinese food (dumping/getting ill) that I havent braved it yet.  Biggest advice I can say is stay away from stuff like this as long as possible.  Don't beat yourself up but protein is your friend.  Every meal should be protein focused right now.  Move on from this and make a plan.  I tried to always have stuff prepared and this helped me a lot and still does.  Anything fried 9 weeks out for me wouldve made me feel very, very bad so breathe....move on and start anew.  You got this....

Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Price S.
on 3/6/13 11:13 am - Mills River, NC

if we were able to be perfect, we wouldn't have needed WLS anyway.  forget it and move on.  Plan ahead and stick to protein for the next few weeks.  In the grand scheme of things, these weeks where you are restricted in what you can eat are such a short time.  Build good habits to carry you through the next stages.  You can do this.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lauren B.
on 3/6/13 11:40 am - Suffolk County, NY

I had similar experiences when I was early out. Don't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like you fell victim to the voices in your head that said, "we can have that, we want that, just have it, we won't cheat again for a while, you've been so good..."

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

Candy V.
on 3/6/13 9:29 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I have egg drop soup often mostly early out.  I dont consider it bad even with the sodium. (compared to other things I could Choose)    We all make poor choices occasionally, Yes I have had eggroll too.  It didnt make me feel sick either, I wi**** had :(.   I always go in with a good choice in mind but sometimes the voice in your head will win out.  Just forgive yourself and move forward.  

Dumping is caused by carbs (sugar and starches)  Not fat, so an egg roll may make you feel ill from the grease but will not cause dumping unless you are very sensitive to the carbs in the wrapper.

I dont dump at all, so some of my lunch go to foods from take out are:

Bean burrito from Taco Bell,  I eat the inside and a small portion of the shell.

Egg drop soup!

Salad bar from a pizza place.

I wish they could fix the head stuff when they did the stomach surgery lol

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

groovykg
on 3/7/13 2:06 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

You really shouldn't feel bad about this.  It sounds so yummy to me, I probably would have done the same thing.  Not a wise choice every day, but you know that.  These little splurges are exactly that: splurges.  It's fun; it's yummy; but it's also rare.   I think as long as you spend 95% of the time focusing on the diet you *should* have, then it's ok to have these little splurges every once in a while.  

Roz !!!!
on 3/7/13 2:11 am - Butler, PA

I think the hardest thing I've had to deal with is making decisions at a restaurant or when I have to make a quick choice.  Most of the time I see something (even a picture) it gets my taste buds ruling and winning over all my good intentions.

I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning and if I don't plan I still make a lot of mistakes.  The girls at work eat out a lot but I just can't if I want to be successful.  I have to make choices and not stray away from those decisions.  The one thing that helps me is I'm ok following a routine.   I've also learned to make things ahead of time, divide into baggies or containers, put in the freezer  and then all I have to do in the morning is grab and go. The more I think about what I'm going to eat the worse choices I make.

I still dump at 4.5 years out and I never have any idea what or when it is going to be triggered.  I might eat the same thing over and over and all of a sudden I'm dumpimg.   I had a big one last weekend after eating  to many shelled nuts at a restaurant. I thought eating the nuts would be better for me than eating a bun with cinnamon butter but they went down so easy that I ate more than I should have.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 491 views
Still kickin'...