3 Week Stall and Calorie Range Question....

Just_Kelly
on 4/25/13 5:48 am - NC

I've hit it... the three week stall. I'm bouncing between 223-225 all week. Trying to not let it get to me, meet my requirements, exercise, hydrate, etc...

Quick question though: when you all moved to the "soft food" stage, around 3-4 weeks, what was your calorie goal? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback! 

My Blog: Sleeved To Achieve SW (3/11/13) - 245.7; VSG (4/1/2013); LW (2/17/14) - 177.6; CW (1/26/15) - 200 

southernlady5464
on 4/25/13 6:54 am

First, it depends on which surgery you had. (to help us, since we are all represented here, add your surgery type to your profile even if you don't list your surgeon).

I don't bother counting calories...I count carbs mainly, protein to make sure I've reached my daily goal, and for ME, fat is a free food. But that is mainly for a DS'er.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

on 4/26/13 3:16 am

That is why I love my DS

Price S.
on 4/25/13 7:14 am - Mills River, NC

Sorry you got hit with a stall.  It happens.  Not to worry, your body has been through a lot and just needs a rest.  It's a good time to take your measurements, If you haven't already.  Lots of time you lose inches while the scale is sitting still.

Calories, we were not to track calories at all, ever.  We tracked protein and fluid.  We were eating 6-8x a day, 1/4c at time and doing protein drinks. 

these days in maintanance, I do track calories, protein and carbs.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

italianspice
on 4/25/13 7:29 am - Eastlake, OH

At three to four weeks, you should be focusing on the amount of protein and ounces of liquids.

I didn't have to count calories, my nutritrionist wanted to make sure I was measuring and getting my grams of protein in and all my liquids.

Your body has been through a major transition and stalls happen to protect the body from losing too fast. Atleast that's my opinion. Not everyone has them, some weeks I lost well, other weeks I didn't. I always lost inches though when the scale wasn't moving. I think the exercise helped in that department.

MrsLitch
on 4/25/13 4:21 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

my doc just had us tracking protein and fluids, like most do. I was told to get in 60 oz of protein and 64 oz of fluid a day. At 3-4 weeks I wasn't getting in near enough protein although I wa****ting my fluid intake daily. I had a strict doctor who only allowed meat, cheese, eggs until mo 3 when we could add veggies. I wasn't allowed dairy like milk and yogurt til 6 mo. So I wasn't getting in a whole lot of calories to be honest.

At my 3 mo post op he asked me if I was exercising and I responded that I wasn't. When he asked why I told him that by tracking my protein on myfitnesspal I knew I was only getting in about 500 calories, we (RNYers) already malabsorb so I wasn't getting the full 500 to begin with and I was afraid if i was exercising my body would go into starvation mode. I hadn't stalled yet and didn't want to. He told me I should have been getting in about 800 calories by 3 mo and agreed to hold off on exercise until I wa****ting that goal. It was 5-6 mo before I wa****ting it most days.

I do know by tracking my weight daily and my intake that as I started to slow or it looked like I wasn't going to lose that week I tried very hard to up my calories and I would lose. I'm pretty sure our bodies are like whoa! wth! You aren't feeding me! and they hang on for dear life.

Just keep working towards your protein and water goals and be mindful of your eating. Eating less won't make you lose quicker if you're barely getting enough in so don't let the "diet thinking" and "calorie counting" thinking from diets mess you up too bad.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MacMadame
on 4/25/13 5:09 pm - Northern, CA

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Candy V.
on 4/25/13 9:37 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I dont count calories or carbs, I just make sure I am at least hitting my protein and fluid goals each day, make smarter food choices and take my vitamins.  It has been working so far.

I am trying to stay out of the "DIET" way of thinking, and having to count everything makes me feel like I am on a diet.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 304 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 428 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 490 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 509 views