I am struggling!!!

Susiekay
on 8/12/13 2:22 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I am having a hard time getting RID of the Carb Monster....I'm so mad I have let this craziness back into my life.  I am down to 152 lbs, which is great, I'm not complaining so don't get me wrong, I just want to go lower but I am stuck here because of those darn carbs.  I am having a really hard time getting them OUT of my system since I have let them back in.   Please if anyone has experienced this and I'm assuming plenty have, please give me some words of advice.  Note:  I have upped my protein to3- 4 servings of unjury a day trying to get my eating back under control, but I "feel" like it just extra calories, I'm still eating meals (probably not as much) but I'm eating!!! my day usually goes like this:

First thing in the Morning:    Unjury with coffee-8 oz coffee, sugar free creamer, 1 scoop Unjury

Breakfast:  Either another Unjury or Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt with granola

Lunch:  Salad, or Mexican (if I eat out I usually eat about 1/2 or less or share with Hubby)

Most of the time, I forget to eat anything else until dinner....One good days, I will have another protein coffee in the afternoon.

When I get home from work, (this is when I am the worst) 1 graham crack w/peanut butter or some nuts or what ever I can grab first.

Dinner is usually meat and veggies...

snack is a skinny cow ice cream bar-----I KNOW....This has to GO!!!!!   OMG....I'm so scared....How did this happen!!!!

I've NOT gained any weight but I know its a matter of time.  I want to get to 135-145....

Thanks in advance!!!!!

hollykim
on 8/12/13 3:03 am, edited 8/12/13 7:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
The only way I can decarb is cold turkey. As long as you are eating ANY carbs you will still crave them.

I would leave off the yogurt n granola n the skinny cow... All high carb and definitely stop the mindless grabbing at home. Have jerky, string cheese boiled eggs ready to grab and they are quicker than spreading p it butter on a cracker, lol, can't give ourselves any excuses.

I am in the same boat with you and am fixing to seriously decarb too. I can't stand being back under the carb lure.

Also are you getting 64 oz of liquid a day? That is a must also

Gl and hang in there

Price S.
on 8/12/13 3:09 am - Mills River, NC

Find another breakfast.  Yogurt, even greek has good protein but carbs and it doesn't stay with me, leaving me hungry very soon.

Does your salad at noon have protein??

Nuts aren't so bad if you measure them out instead of just grabbing a bunch.  Try a protein drink instead.  Lots of time when I think I am hungry, I really am thristy.  I try to do at least 20 oz between each food anything.

Log on miles and menus with us.  That keeps me honest!!!

You can do this.  You have done well so far, just kick the carbs out.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 8/12/13 11:18 am - Butler, PA

We have all experienced the evilness of the Carb Monster!!!   Cold turkey is about the only way to go.  Even a small amount of granola can set him loose for the whole day. 

Do what Kim said and get some good Protein snacks that you can grab when you get home.  I put my snacks in individual zip lock baggies so I can only grab one serving at a time. 

It's good that you haven't gained any weight but it will eventually happen over time.  It could be because your body starts absorbing them or for some it's because they think after awhile they are  getting away with it and they start enjoying more carbs.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 8/13/13 10:42 am

I'm with the others, I would stop the granola at breakfast, it just gets you started for the day.  At lunch I would do something more protein forward rather than salad.  I love salad, but it just won't stay with as long as protein does and then when you get home you are probably looking for anything you can to eat.

I had to stop buying graham crackers and peanuts for a while just to get off them!!

Posting on Menus and Miles each day really helps me.  I do My Fitness Pal also.  Trust me it will catch up with you when your malabsorption stops.  It is a lot harder to get off then.  I caught mine early, but it is still hard to get back down to where I was.

One bite and I'm gone for the day....

Good luck,

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/13 9:45 pm

My trick is to eat FAT FREE carbs ( usually whole grain ones - do not care for sugar mostly )  w fat free protein if any ... and wait at east two hours before eating  fat or meat .

In other words a baked potato with fat free sourcream and chives and butter buds is acceptable , but only two hours away from even the leanest  beef .  

Suzanne Somers came up with this diet idea and it really works  and she has several diet books out ( old ones ) based on these ideas .  I am having Mexican heirloom giant corn kernels for breakfast .. mail along with orange juice , chai tea latte made with fat free milk , fresh apricots and perhaps a ( fat free yogurt ) .  Lunch will be beef eye round and lean pork bourguinon made with mushrooms and fresh garlic and probably am eggplant stir fry with fresh ginger garlic and sechuan sauce .   

I think separating the carbs from the fats makes ALL the difference in digestion ... of course it also means i don't  eat the latest " snack foods "  even the so called " light" ones with 3.6 or less grams of fat per serving .  Most people eat like ten servings of those anyway ... but I don't even start on ONE  because I find pre packaged snack foods  remarkably fattening .. 

southernlady5464
on 8/13/13 11:02 pm

When I do peanut butter, I use a spoon not a cracker.

Just do NOT buy the skinny cow ice cream bars...hard to snack on things when they aren't in the house.

Add more protein to lunch.

And don't do carbs JUST because they are fat free...being fat free does not make it any less a CARB!

Try adding a different breakfast...while yogurt is good, try avoiding the granola.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

hollykim
on 8/15/13 3:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I would suggest you avoid a fat free diet. When they take the fat out they have to put in something else,and it is sugar or starch. These are carbs and you can get a whole lot of carbs from using fat free products that you aren't even aware of.

One of your posters suggested a baked potato with ff sour cream and butter buds. The potato and the sour cream without the fat it is supposed to have ,turns into sugar as soon as it hits your mouth,where digestion starts!

This ff free diet,is very very outdated and even the people who pushed it in the 80's are saying it is wrong. It is carbs that make us,And keep us fat,not fats. We actually need some healthy fats to BURN stored fat!
Gl

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 416 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 476 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views