CONFUSED!

Susiekay
on 8/22/13 7:37 am
RNY on 04/24/12

I'm confused!  I see some of the people on here that are 2 + years out from their surgery date still doing protein shakes.  Then I read people say you need to get all your protein from real food.  What's the correct way? 

I am 14 months out and I eat 2 meals a day PLUS 3 protein coffees.  I'm wondering if I did 1 protein shake in the morning and the rest from food I "may" start loosing again by cutting calories, but then will I be hungry????   JUST CONFUSED!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/22/13 7:55 am

It is very individual.. I am 5+ years post op and I still drink shakes. 

1. I like them,

2. My body hates solid food in the morning (nausea, pain sometimes)

3. It is easier than to think about what to eat.. 

4. I do follow low carb diet (severe RH) so my body uses fat and proteins as fuel - calories , so I need 100 - 120gr a day to maintain OK protein levels..   

5. and last but not least - if i get most of my proteins from shakes - I can allow myself to have a salad, or some peanuts as as nack.. and no worry about "meats" and other things.. 

There are days that I am just not hungry .. but I do know i need to get enough water, proteins, fat and vitamins - minerals.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roz !!!!
on 8/23/13 1:42 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!  It's nice to have posters who have been successful in their WL journey!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/13 6:49 am

Hi... I never consider myself LW - but I guess I was ...to a point..  and I was invited to come here...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lerkhart
on 8/22/13 7:59 am

I think you have to find what works for you.  I like the protein shakes and they keep my hands occupied in between meals so I don't eat junk food - most of the time!!

I do protein drinks in the morning, lunch, protein drink, supper, protein drink and that works for me.

My protein drinks only have about 100 calories in them so they really don't add that much to my counts.  They have no carbs because I use the Syntrax Nectars and mix them with water and crystal lite.  Except my night time one which I mix with Hood Calorie Count down Milk.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
datachick
on 8/22/13 8:06 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

My nutritionist encourages us to get off of the protein drinks. I have been eating solid food for a while. I drink a protein drink on days that I work out, to add more protein without a lot more calories.

Do you have a nutritionist you work with? I am eating 1200 calories a day and working out four times a week and still losing a pound a week. How much are you working out? Probably tweaking your food plan and exercising would be a healthier path, but it's an individual choice.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

A. Kondrlik
on 8/22/13 9:41 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I  have noticed your plan is different than some over on the VSG board.   I tried the super high protein route, I lost weight fast but got even more constipated than usual. even miralax didn't help. Have since cut back on the protein a bit and increased vegetables and fruit. My carbs are still not terribly high. Do you include many whole grains? I eat them occasionally, do eat oatmeal and fiber one though.  I have a nutritionist appt next week (7 mos) and  going to have her help me figure out a balanced plan that I can sustain for the long haul. 

How much do you work out each week, what does your workout consist of? I have about 20 to go, I think exercise is the key to get the rest off.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Candy V.
on 8/22/13 9:31 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

It is your choice.  Different trains of thought, my surgeon likes protein supplements for the high quality protein.  I like them cause it allows me to eat a wider variety of meals and snacks and know I hit my protein goal each day.  I have a premier protein (30 gr) RTD shake each morning and sometimes a nectar in the afternoon.  Plus I eat 3-4 small meals and some fruit.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Price S.
on 8/22/13 10:14 am - Mills River, NC

I'm almost 3 yrs out and still have 3-4 suppliments a day.  Without them, it would be almost impossible to keep my protein level up.  I also eat 3-4 meals a day, protein based with veggies.  You certainly can still lose but it may be a combination of low carb, calories and exercise that make it happen.

what is your protein level?  Maybe post in miles and menus for a while and see what folks suggest.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MacMadame
on 8/22/13 1:54 pm - Northern, CA

There is no "correct way". There is "what works for you." mail

Some people have this idea that protein shakes aren't "real food" but I think that's silly. They have calories and the protein in them is whey protein is which is one of the best absorbed proteins out there. They are basically a glass of milk without all the sugar and lactose. (They have some but not as much.)

Now, some people find protein shakes don't work for them and that's fine but protein shakes work really well for me. I find that first thing in the morning my sleeve doesn't want solid food but I need to eat. Plus by having a double shake first thing, I get in almost 1/3 of my protein requirements right away and a big chunk of my fluid too. That way, I can have more veggies and stuff because I know I've gotten my protein in and there isn't as much pressure to get my fluid in as well.

But some people find that they get too hungry too soon after having a protein shake so they do better with solid food.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 290 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 417 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 477 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views